Feb 20, 2016
Herts
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2015
Hi,

Last night we stayed at a CL site in Suffolk and tried to use our Cello tv for the first time. We have a 2015 Elddis 115 Autoquest with a Svensen amplifier and Avtex omni directional aerial.

The tv works fine at home but last night we could not pick up any tv or radio stations. The amplifier was switched on and we used the aerial cable supplied with the van. I know there are negative reviews on this type of aerial but I expected to pickup at least some stations. The digital tv website shows good reception for the CL site location.

Would be grateful for any suggestions on a remedy.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Did you retune your TV?

You will need to more or less everywhere you stop.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
BravoTwoZero

BravoTwoZero

Free Member
Feb 20, 2016
Herts
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2015
Thanks.

Yes about 20 times, with and without the amplifier on.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
In that case you may have just been unlucky and in a dodgy location or something. It's happened to me on the odd occasion.

See what happens when you're somewhere else.

Upvote 0

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
I did find in one location that if I turned the gain right down, I got a better reception than with it up. Don't know why, just coz

Upvote 0

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
We were on our own at the site so no one to ask unfortunately :cry:
Dame...... I would guess like member above you might be in a poor signal area. I removed ours and bought a STH1000 Digital Aerial, which works a treat as and when we watch TV.

Upvote 0

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
We've stayed at a few places where there is exactly zero TV reception, it happens I'm afraid.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I did find in one location that if I turned the gain right down, I got a better reception than with it up. Don't know why, just coz
Hard to believe but a tv signal can be TOO strong.

We live in sight of the local main transmitter.
One of our roof aerials is broken in half and in the bedroom we use a very old set top wire aerial.
signal data is ...strength = 95% to 100%.....quality around 80%.
Never needed to raise or rotate the aerial in the motorhome.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
BravoTwoZero

BravoTwoZero

Free Member
Feb 20, 2016
Herts
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2015
Thanks everyone. I will try the tv tomorrow where the mh is stored and see what happens. It is on raised ground so if all working I should get a decent reception.

Upvote 0

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
When we had a flying saucer on the roof of our caravan (before those 'Pointme aerials came out) reception was crap.
We have an omni. on the roof of our Hobby and I don't think we've ever been without a signal.

I put it down to the quality of the booster/amplifier.

Upvote 0

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
What CL in Suffolk as we stayed at Lark Valley a couple of years ago and during the day we got a signal albeit a bit fuzzy but as it turned to night the signal slowly dropped off so we were left with nothing so listened to the radio, so if you are in this or another CL in the area it is likely just a poor signal area.

Upvote 0
Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
When I got my MH new I could not get any reception, I traced it to the aerial plug the earth braiding in the co axial cable was shorting to the central core wire, worth unscrewing the plugs and having a look.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
BravoTwoZero

BravoTwoZero

Free Member
Feb 20, 2016
Herts
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2015
What CL in Suffolk as we stayed at Lark Valley a couple of years ago and during the day we got a signal albeit a bit fuzzy but as it turned to night the signal slowly dropped off so we were left with nothing so listened to the radio, so if you are in this or another CL in the area it is likely just a poor signal area.

Thanks Michael. Yes we were at Lark Valley. I tried the tv at our storage site today and picked up 83 channels, so it was just a location issue. Being a newbie it is great to receive good advice from experienced funsters.:smiley:

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
When we had a flying saucer on the roof of our caravan (before those 'Pointme aerials came out) reception was crap.
We have an omni. on the roof of our Hobby and I don't think we've ever been without a signal.

A "flying saucer" aerial is an omni-directional one. They're exactly the same thing (y)

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back