Les Plus Beaux Villages de France (1 Viewer)

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
It is our ambition to visit as many of these as we can. We need a guide to them so that we can plan to visit the Villages in any area we are passing through.

Looking on line at Amazon, EBay, etc, we see pictures of the various book covers but nothing of the insides. Are they complete with pictures or just script, like the Lonely Planet guides? We can't tell.(n)

Belonging to the " guide books should contain pictures of what can be seen" brigade, can anyone recommend a suitable guide from personal experience?

worky

Free Member
Mar 6, 2008
worcester
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2008
hya - this is the official website that may give you most of the info you're looking for :

Broken Link Removed

cheers
Clyde

Feb 3, 2013
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
ENC Fifer Touring M
Exp
Since the 90's
Sorry, haven't got any of the books but just in case you didn't know, they have an English website with plenty of info and pics...

Broken Link Removed

You can also get a Michelin foldout map with their locations on, should be available at each village or possibly get it online.

Pete

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
A great idea, we had never heard of them, but this has just reminded me, we are just back from France and noticed a lot of signs, touristy type, with 'village etap' or something like that, I meant to photograph one for the sake of my memory, any idea what they are?

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Feb 3, 2013
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
ENC Fifer Touring M
Exp
Since the 90's
One of our favourites is at Saint-Céneri-le-Gérei, beautiful little village and motorhomes are welcome to stay overnight in the carpark by the river. 48.37987 -0.05369

Broken Link Removed

ceneri1.JPG
ceneri2.JPG
ceneri3.JPG
ceneri4.JPG

Pete

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Belonging to the " guide books should contain pictures of what can be seen" brigade, can anyone recommend a suitable guide from personal experience?

It is one bugbear I hve with Amazon. Generally I find them excellent but I sometimes look at their books of sheet music. As you say there is no way of telling what many of them contain. Such titles as 'Pop Hits' don't give much of a clue and unless they happen to list the contents (most don't) how on earth would they expect people to buy them? I have contacted them about it and on each occasion they reply saying' "quote the ISBN number and the contents may be looked up" which doesn't seem very satisfactory to me.

p.s. a bit off topic. Sorry.
Wyn

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
I seem to remember picking up a ' plus belle villages' type booklet in a French tourist office for free. They are printed by Michelin, they keep them behind the counter ( I think) and may not be available everywhere, you just had to ask but it was free. 2014 pictures below. French tourist offices are often extremely helpful and have some great guides and info. We always try to make use of them.
1456833497200-947634435.jpg
1456833617535-239965835.jpg

Jul 29, 2014
Norfolk and Correze, France
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Had one for 5 years many moons ago. Now starting again.
I might be slightly biased but our French holiday home for the last 15 years is in a Plus Beaux Village and is, of course, one of the nicest. Some of them are a bit twee and overdone but ours has no tourist tack just historic houses etc.

Can't wait to get there on Easter Saturday. Sadly first job is the clean out the lower garage that was flooded a couple of weeks ago. Thankfully only the garage and only a foot or two of water but the café next door suffered the flood too.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I might be slightly biased but our French holiday home for the last 15 years is in a Plus Beaux Village and is, of course, one of the nicest. Some of them are a bit twee and overdone but ours has no tourist tack just historic houses etc.

Can't wait to get there on Easter Saturday. Sadly first job is the clean out the lower garage that was flooded a couple of weeks ago. Thankfully only the garage and only a foot or two of water but the café next door suffered the flood too.
Which one? just looked at the list I think we have been to at least 2 without realising!

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
We 'found' a couple last autumn on our trip through France.
I know I'm mixing up my countries, but I expected the childcatcher from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang to appear from around every corner.

France has 100 of these places and they are continually being assessed. If they were in the UK you wouldn't be able to get within a mile of them. These places have FREE parking spots!!!

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Thanks for your replies.

I was aware of the websites but need a "hard copy" for the many occasions we can't get Wifi while travelling. My wife has 3G on her iPad but, as any frequent traveller in France will be aware, there is not universal coverage. Even the customer assistant in the phone shop admitted that 3G coverage was "crap" in rural France. Unfortunately, that's where we live, and mainly travel.:unsure:

moulin 87

Free Member
Aug 31, 2015
Limousin, France
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Espirit T7150
Exp
We 'found' a couple last autumn on our trip through France.
I know I'm mixing up my countries, but I expected the childcatcher from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang to appear from around every corner.

France has 100 of these places and they are continually being assessed. If they were in the UK you wouldn't be able to get within a mile of them. These places have FREE parking spots!!!

Rocamadour and one or two others are the exception and are very touristy...Cordes sur Ciel is another where you'll have to pay to park or sneak in after 7pm...

Jul 29, 2014
Norfolk and Correze, France
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Had one for 5 years many moons ago. Now starting again.
Which one? just looked at the list I think we have been to at least 2 without realising!
This is our village: Broken Link Removed
I forget that you may not see the link in my signature so this is my own site: http://www.segur-prior.eu
About 30km away is St Robert but I find it a bit boring to be honest.
Turenne is another nice one in the Correze: Broken Link Removed
And another one we like is Curemont: Broken Link Removed
The last two above have nice little restaurants that do a lunchtime special menu of the day at about €11 or €12 a head. Or at least they did when we last visited last summer or the summer before.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I'm also a fan of Tourist Offices in France. The people who work there have to have a huge raft of qualifications and knowledge. There's always someone who speaks English and I've always found them welcoming. My local one was in a beautiful working watermill and the lady told me off for tying the dogs up outside, insisting they come in.

ojibway

Free Member
Jul 17, 2012
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005
France is such a lovely country and has so many beautiful villages.
Just go and chance it. If it's not as beautiful as you expected then the next one will be!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back