LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Have a search for "generators" and loads of threads will come up.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Never heard of champion....only the spark plugs.

Kipor are ok but the invertor boards can fail which just about makes them a throw away item....the board almost costs as much as a new generator......and according to some, they are really really noisey.
Must be a noise perception thing cos mine isnt.

Upvote 0

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Never heard of champion....only the spark plugs.

Kipor are ok but the invertor boards can fail which just about makes them a throw away item....the board almost costs as much as a new generator......and according to some, they are really really noisey.
Must be a noise perception thing cos mine isnt.
WHAT? Shout up John 'cos I can't hear you for that bloody genny. :doh::rofl:

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Looking to buy a generator, don't want to spend £1000 on a Honda, have looked at kipor and champion, any thoughts on which is best?
Thanks.
You may detect this is a somewhat controversial subject! If you have a specific need for one, such as running medical equipment, then you may need a generator but they are generally frowned upon in this country. Carrying petrol is also a bit of a smelly pain although you can get LPG generators.

There are other options, solar is green but not a lot of use in winter, probably the most economically viable is a battery to battery charger. Search on here for B2B. This relatively inexpensive and trouble-free bit of kit turns your engine into a very powerful generator.

Upvote 0

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We have an SDMO Booster 1000, it's French made and with a Honda engine, so pretty quiet. It will power the van for everything except the microwave.
I think they get a bad name from people using them indiscriminately on campsites, but, we never use campsites, so have never come across these people!
I think they are a worthwhile investment and we may be getting a bigger one soon. Ideal for when we lived in the van for a couple of months with no EHU and very little sun to power our solar panels and 3 x 110ah batteries.
What about a used one? There are a few companies selling refurbished generators, also, check out gumtree and eBay, you may find a bargain!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Simon Meadwell
Jan 28, 2016
Stockport, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bravaria i740 AClass
Hi Daniel
Looking to spend £350 ish on a genie to power the mh when not on site ie field camping and Motorsport sites. One problem we have is our garage door is only 14" high so need small genie don't want to carry it inside the mh

Upvote 0

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Hi Daniel
Looking to spend £350 ish on a genie to power the mh when not on site ie field camping and Motorsport sites. One problem we have is our garage door is only 14" high so need small genie don't want to carry it inside the mh
Ah! With you, that's what we use ours for, and before anyone gets on their high horse about noise, at a motorsport venue, the generator will be the quietest thing there until about 3 in the morning!
Depending on your set up, you aren't going to need a big one, you are really only going to need to give the batteries a recharge. Unless you have been modified, I will guess you probably have a single 100ah battery. If it's in good nick, then that should give you a good few days use.
My ESP is also telling me that your TV will only run when you have 240v, that is not an issue, a TV doesn't use a great deal of power. Although it may be worth checking if the TV you have can run 12v, that is a much better solution.
Anyway, I digress. We purchased a 1kva Hyundai pure sine wave inverter generator to do exactly what you want to do, they are pretty quiet and if you shop around, they are in your budget. They can run most normal appliances, but not microwaves or kettles for example. Because it is PSW it can safely charge laptops etc. whilst you top up your batteries. I think we bought ours from here http://www.generators-direct.co.uk/camping-and-caravan
There is one thing I should point out, if you are going on the ferry, you aren't allowed to carry them, since they contain petrol, and also you need to carry petrol containers, which are also forbidden on the ferry. So hide them and hope for the best has always been our policy.

Upvote 0
May 7, 2011
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Kontiki 669
Exp
Since 2010
I know you dont want the expense of a Honda,but they are by far the quietest genny.
We have had one for over four years,but have only used it a handful of times.
A good solar panel and a pair of good size leisure batterys are the way forward!:)

Upvote 0

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
I see there is quite a lot of animosity towards generators, I see no problem myself as long as they are used responsibly and with respect for other campers nearby and mostly used off site, I’m sure if we lived in a hot climate this question would hardly come up.
Having said that I had been asked by a friend of mine to research generators and one that seemed to fit the bill without going to the £1000 Honda or Yamaha was the Champion £369 2Kw from generators direct with 3yrs warranty check it out. Its on Broken Link Removed It's an american genny but the company that sells them says the parts are available and 3yrs warranty isn't to be sniffed at. They also got good reviews from Americans although we could not find many.
Best Wishes Tony

Upvote 0

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
I see there is quite a lot of animosity towards generators, I see no problem myself as long as they are used responsibly and with respect for other campers nearby and mostly used off site, I’m sure if we lived in a hot climate this question would hardly come up.
There is isn't there, and there are always the solar brigade who pop up, saying you don't need a generator you need solar. Well firstly I should point out, we do have solar, and a PSW 2kw inverter, total cost to install the kit best part of £2,000. The OP stated that they needed power on rare occasions and wanted a cheap alternative (later stating budget of £350), in his circumstances, the only answer is a generator.
It is one of my pet hates, when a specific question is asked, and then a completely nonsensical answer is given that does not address the original question. Imagine this scenario:
A man walks into a shop and asks the shop keeper "Do you have any ballpoint pens?", the shop keeper replies, "You don't want a ballpoint pen, they are nasty to the environment, what you need is an apple, they're bio-degradable!"
Rant over! :D

Upvote 0

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
i have been to many meets in the uk where my generator has been borrowed by the solar brigade to top up their batteries when their solar panels have failed to do the job due to overcast weather.
i am in the process of changing my van for a fifth wheel,and i will fit as many solar panels as i can,but not for use in the uk, i will carry a generator for uk use.

Reactions: JJ
Upvote 0
Feb 5, 2009
South Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 in MH, 15 in Caravan
as long as they are used responsibly and with respect for other campers nearby
I sit on the fence usually on the subject of generators, but think you have hit the source of the animosity on the head...

Upvote 0

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
If you can go 2 or 3 days on one battery surely it makes more sense to fit a second one? doubling your duration without any noise petrol or solar

Upvote 0

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Generators stir people up more than the EU vote. Solar or generator you got to do what's best for you and not worry about other people's views, much the same as the EU vote.

Upvote 0

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
If you can go 2 or 3 days on one battery surely it makes more sense to fit a second one? doubling your duration without any noise petrol or solar
That is always a good option, and much cheaper than a generator. Although one might still get stuck with a flat battery

Upvote 0

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I have 1000ah of batteries 300 watt of solar and a 50amp B2B :LOL:

220px-Milk_float_-_Liverpool_%28modified_background%29.jpg

Upvote 0
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
I have a Sterling 1000w Generator. I bought it just in case I need it. I also have 240w of solar panels and a big battery. I suppose I should sell it really.

Upvote 0

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
I personally don't have a problem with a "geni" running next or near me, why? I just start my engine leave it running as long as the "geni" and they soon get the message. Failing that I fire up the diesel heater because the smell is really nice:)

Joking aside some people need to run a "geni" for medical reasons etc, so not really a problem for me. Each to his own.

Upvote 0

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
I was on a site up in the peak district some years back it was a fine summers evening and people were sitting out having bbqs and enjoying the sun when an old American rv started up his generator it was an onboard type and boy was it noisy it didn't take long before there were numerous complaints from fellow campers and a bit of a row ensued .The rv owner switched it off eventually.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back