Don't always trust your Sat Nav (1 Viewer)

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Trying to find a Pub from the Brit Stop books, we put in the post code and set off. The Sat Nav has all vehicle dimensions, so when we went sailing past the sign for the pub, I thought that way must be too restrictive - Low bridge, too narrow or weight limit. So it finally turns me down the narrowest road I have been on to date with a weight limited bridge up ahead. 0.6 miles away is bridge, but Sat Nav says turn right in 0.4 miles, so I continue. Right turn isn't, it is in fact a 90 deg right corner, so bridge is still ahead. Cannot reverse now so thinks, no worries I'll chance it. No real dramas. Then road narrows and another 2 weight limit bridges no overly excited at the moment with the odd branch clattering down the side and then the band new mirror guards get functionally tested. At the point of no return I face the last 90 deg left turn over a bridge. On right is a stable with what can only be described as tree sized bushes growing up the side. Just make it round and forgot the ultimate sin - "Overhang swing out" then bang! Looses the rear corner and end plate off the canopy. Now - blame the driver who blames the navigator cos SHE left the Brit Stop book behind that read about this stopover, "do not use Sat Nav but take the first Brown Pub sign". Anyway, why is this thread in the Detailing section? Cos I need help with this...

Canopy Damage.JPG

I retreived the end cap and re screwed it back on, but I think I will have to replace it, but really need to polish out / fill in the deep scores that are on the end and also a lot of scuff marks on the rest of the canopy and mirror guards and the score marks along the window you can see below the canopy. Red scoring is from the brick building. I do not have any products or machines to assist me, so any recommendations of products and procedures would be gratefully received

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
It might just be possible to buy a new end cap, as they are a sacrificial item in my experience. :)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
If it was mine I'd just put it down to experience, polish it out a bit and on your next trip you will forget it's there(y):)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
never trust a sat nav...as said replace end cap and polish down you can be surprised, maybe use a disc and ask @Charlie . Why I'm so happy with a panel van conversion as always banging the coachbuilt:(

OP
OP
Zigisla

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Sorry to hear your tale.

Which number BritStop was it? - Gordon
Cannot remember cos book still else where, but it was "The Bush Inn" Ovington Hants. Lovely place when I got there though. Massive car park and so easy to get out from - On the correct road!!

OP
OP
Zigisla

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
never trust a sat nav...as said replace end cap and polish down you can be surprised, maybe use a disc and ask @Charlie . Why I'm so happy with a panel van conversion as always banging the coachbuilt:(
Many thanks Eddie but from a snag on previous thread @Charlie will not give advice anymore which is a dire shame cos I can really do with it now. Hopefully @FJmike will read this too.

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
Looking at your photo it looks too deep for polish. Try using some Farcla G3 either by hand or polisher, take it steady, you will be able to make it look better on the canopy but you will probably have to replace the end cap

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
We stayed at a pub stop, although not a Britstop, in Cornwall over the New Year period that had similar issues

This pub was great, friendly, good food, good beer, did us breakfast in the morning. Loads of land, they've got a rally field/CL type set up, as well as allowing car park stopovers.

The only problem was the entrance. Along the side of the pub, steep, straight off of a main road and by my reckoning about 3mm wider than my van. My canopy had an argument with their guttering. :whistle:

OP
OP
Zigisla

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
We stayed at a pub stop, although not a Britstop, in Cornwall over the New Year period that had similar issues

This pub was great, friendly, good food, good beer, did us breakfast in the morning. Loads of land, they've got a rally field/CL type set up, as well as allowing car park stopovers.

The only problem was the entrance. Along the side of the pub, steep, straight off of a main road and by my reckoning about 3mm wider than my van. My canopy had an argument with their guttering. :whistle:
Doesn't seem right to give a like for that. (y)- But did anyway;) cos you have my condolences. :cry:

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Doesn't seem right to give a like for that. (y)- But did anyway;) cos you have my condolences. :cry:

No need for condolences. It was plastic guttering so no damage to the van and we had a good night there (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back