Free Member
Oct 31, 2013
Conwy
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
20 years
Here we are at Almerimar parking aire and we are having great banter with Pedro because he is flying the Jack upside down and he says he will change it if we decide to stay in the EU. No chance
Otherwise a good stopping place.

Nov 8, 2015
Rakitnika, Varna, Bulgaria
Funster No
MH
Damon Daybreak RV
Exp
Now in fifth year and with American RV
Here is a bit more banter that you can have with Pedro, the flag he is flying is in fact the Union Flag, it is only called the Union Jack when flown on the jack stay of British warships flying the white ensign or other British registered boats empowered by royal warrant to fly the blue ensign. With a name like Pedro though - he can be forgiven :D

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
Erect a Flag of St George upside down - that'll confuse him . . . . :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 8, 2015
Rakitnika, Varna, Bulgaria
Funster No
MH
Damon Daybreak RV
Exp
Now in fifth year and with American RV
Hi popeye, I'm pretty sure it is only British vessels carrying the royal warrant, also it is requirement to hoist at dawn and lower at dusk, mind you things may have changed - I have been out of that game for a long time now :)

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
Chief British Vexillologist stated in 2013 that the term '' Jack '' could only be used when the Union Flag is flown from a Jack staff at sea is incorrect . . . I personally have no idea :)

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Also... Flying it upside down, wasn't that meant to be like a distress or warning signal ???
Or is that an Urban myth..

Since someone explained the right way it should go I look at every flag i see to check..

Sep 25, 2012
West Cornwall
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
13 Years, 20 years with a caravan
The Union Jack or The Union Flag?

When the ‘Union Jack’ was first introduced in 1606, it was known simply as ‘the British flag’ or ‘the flag of Britain’, and was ordered to be flown at the main masthead of all ships, warships and merchant ships, of both England and Scotland.

The first use of the name ‘Union’ appears in 1625. There are various theories as how it became known as the ‘Union Jack’, but most of the evidence points to the name being derived from the use of the word ‘jack’ as a diminutive. This word was in use before 1600 to describe a small flag flown from the small mast mounted on the bowsprit, and by 1627 it appears that a small version of the Union flag was commonly flown in this position. For some years it was called just ‘the Jack’, or ‘Jack flag’, or ‘the King’s Jack’, but by 1674, while formally referred to as ‘His Majesty’s Jack’, it was commonly called the Union Jack, and this was officially acknowledged.

In the 18th century the small mast on the bowsprit was replaced by staysails on the stays between the bowsprit and the foremast. By this time the Ensign had become the principal naval distinguishing flag, so it became the practice to fly the Union Jack only in harbour, on a specially rigged staff in the bows of the ships, the jackstaff. It should thus be noted that the jack flag had existed for over a hundred and fifty years before the jack staff came into being, and its name was related to its size rather than to the position in which it was flown.

It is often stated that the Union Flag should only be described as the Union Jack when flown in the bows of a warship, but this is a relatively recent idea. From early in its life the Admiralty itself frequently referred to the flag as the Union Jack, whatever its use, and in 1902 an Admiralty Circular announced that Their Lordships had decided that either name could be used officially. Such use was given Parliamentary approval in 1908 when it was stated that “the Union Jack should be regarded as the National flag”.

Cdr Bruce Nicolls OBE RN (Retd)

May 12, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
union1.jpg

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
Surprising how many union flags are flown upside down. I always look when passing one and have done since my boy scouting days :LOL:

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
He's obviously in distress because he ran aground.:rolleyes:

It's one of my pet hates to see the Union Flag inverted and have been known (much against Mrs icr wishes) to knock on doors to explain to the perpetrators the error of their ways.

I'm sure some countries would treat their flags being upside-down as a treasonable offense.

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
Here we are at Almerimar parking aire and we are having great banter with Pedro because he is flying the Jack upside down and he says he will change it if we decide to stay in the EU. No chance
Otherwise a good stopping place.
A little ironic that you object to flying one union flag upside down but want to leave the union......

Mar 11, 2013
Gillingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
I recall several years ago hearing Ian Paisley declaring that no one had the right to fly the flag of his country upside down . At the time I thought he was probably the only person that had noticed it on some building in Belfast.

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
T
I recall several years ago hearing Ian Paisley declaring that no one had the right to fly the flag of his country upside down . At the time I thought he was probably the only person that had noticed it on some building in Belfast.
The Cote D'ivory (Ivory Coast) flag
main-qimg-695223cde66f86ae3a5c483e96db6f33

Becomes the Irish Flag when the pole is on the other side.
main-qimg-0399886b4b26374e57d41900bf91b795

As can be seen Belfast Loyalists don't know the difference
BO7qrHxCIAAihb8.jpg:large

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Anyone know why the Union Flag does not have symmetry?

Dick

I didn't but luckily Google did (y):D

The reason that the UK flag is not symmetrical is because of the relative positions of the saltires of St Patrick and St Andrew. The red saltire of St Patrick is offset such that it doesn't relegate the white saltire of St Andrew to a mere border. St Andrew's saltire has the higher position at the hoist side with St Patrick's saltire in the higher position on the opposite side.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Thank you Mike you beat me to it, one thing though I think it is any British registered vessel not just Warships. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Not a sea farer but as far as i know......its not just British registered vessels, ALL ships/boats MUST fly the flag of their country of registration uppermost on the mast.
Any other flags can be flown below it..

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
As a general rule the country ensign is only flown ON the mast while the Vessal is at sea, in port it's flown on the staff at the after end.
Other flags, ie; company house flag, signal flags, (pilot on board, I require Pilot, require doctor etc) and guest country ensign are flown on a halliard from the cross tree.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Any other flags can be flown below it

NOt so quite Jim, any flags below the Courtesy flag must be the flag of the crew which of course might be many and varied.

The masthead flag or pennant is the commissioning pennant and bears the seniority of the most senior officer on board on a flagship or the cross of St George for all British naval vessels other than Flag-ships.

It gets quite hazy in various countries but the Registry Flag is flown from the Jack at the stern and denotes the country of registration.

The Union Flag when flown from a jack at the prow is usually when NOT under way or moored up or at anchor.

The Registry flag should be flown when entering or leaving harbour or when another vessel is encountered at sea and at all daylight times when in a foreign country.

It is also required that a courtesy pennant be flown on the Starboard side of a vessel in the highest position which should be the national flag of the Country closest.

Then you have to deal with Burgees when it all goes to shit.

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
I thought Union meant the union between England Scotland Ireland and Wales.
NOT the bloody European union !!!
I hope we are brave enough to come out of the EU before all 500,000 of them decide to come and live here !!!
Yes I am a mean self interested sod !!
AND I wild camp :LOL::LOL::LOL:.

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Isle of Dogs, but mostly Artola Spain.
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
It was suggested that the Welsh dragon be incorporated on the Union Flag as shown below.
wales.jpg

but some thought it should be this.
images.png

Which one? You decide!

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
It was suggested that the Welsh dragon be incorporated on the Union Flag as shown below.
View attachment 95488

but some thought it should be this.
View attachment 95493

Which one? You decide!

No. Just no.

The union flag is made up of the individual flags of the countries of the union.

Wales isn't a country and isn't technically part of the union so it's flag doesn't need to be included.

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Isle of Dogs, but mostly Artola Spain.
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
No. Just no.

The union flag is made up of the individual flags of the countries of the union.

Wales isn't a country and isn't technically part of the union so it's flag doesn't need to be included.

But then again the Flag of Ireland with the Cross of St Patrick is rarely ever seen in Northern Ireland, they use this,
ulster-banner_1000.jpg

So you could argue that this should be represented on the Union Flag!!

PS previous post was meant to be a joke, which obviously bombed:getmecoat:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back