Free Member
Jul 29, 2015
Bury Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E645
Exp
I'm a Newbie
How many of you buy Brit Stops being new to MH’s but in caravans for 29 years I thought I would buy it because MH can be sooo different to a caravan with more overnight locations you can stop at.

My new copy came last week and today is the first chance to have a good look and to say I‘m disappointed is an understatement I don’t see a price in site just a list of pubs and the number of MH’s they can take and what facilities they have.

Something I learned coming on this site and others is most pubs will allow you to stay over if you buy a meal something I wouldn’t dream of in my caravan.

Just now seems a lot of money £30 for something I can find with a click on the www.

Just my thoughts

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Yes, every host listed is made aware that they will not charge you to stay, but they hope you will use their facilities (which most of us do).
There are a lot of pubs, but a lot of farms, theme parks, farms, museums etc. that you would never have dreamed of visiting if they weren't in the guide.
So far, we have stayed in a vineyard, a farm shop, many pubs, and a good few restaurants.
The guide really gives you the locations of places that are hospitable to MH overnighting, without having to go in and ask. Worth every penny in my book :D

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
I used Britstops a few times last year. In each case I felt morally obliged to spend some money with the establishment. I don't think they are cheap (or free!) but they can sometimes be convenient. Personally I think CL's or CS's are better value for money.

Some were OK, many were just parking in the carpark of a pub (not really relaxing) and captive to all the local revellers coming out of the pub half cut and noisy whilst you try to sleep!

In principle I like them, but they are only one of many resources and certainly not 'free' ;)

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
OK, I feel a real world example may be required to show the worth of britstops. And I should stress, this is not how we usually stop.
We were on a small UK tour, culminating in a stop at Longleat, as a treat for my daughter. We had intended to get away at a reasonable hour to arrive home at a reasonable time. Anyway, my daughter insisted on spending hours at every single animal, and visiting the gorillas 3 times I think. So it was late, I was in no mood to drive all the way home, so ideal, dug out our guide. There was a britstop 5 minutes away.
Phoned them and booked a table in their restaurant. Upshot was, rather than being very grumpy with wife and daughter. We had a splendid meal, and then a good nights sleep, and the next morning we arrived back home.
A lot of people will argue that the stops aren't free, however I disagree. We stopped at a place in the New Forest not so long back, and another 'stopper' arrived late in the evening. They departed in the morning, having not spent a penny in the establishment. The chap was bidding farewell to the host just as we were leaving. Granted we select Britstops based upon the offering, but you are not required to spend anything!

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
The fabulous map of pub stops Keith has in resources section is completely free. I use it whenever in England. Of course living in Scotland I wouldn't dream of buying a britstop b:LOL:ok. That no doubt would join the pile of other things we now carry in the MH but never use.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
It is a useful resource but the £30 price tag is silly, given this is twice the price of an ACSI card and books which can get you a discount at numerous sites. I know the theory is a few stops will pay for the book but I think their price will put people off. We won't be buying another copy.

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
It is a useful resource but the £30 price tag is silly, given this is twice the price of an ACSI card and books which can get you a discount at numerous sites. I know the theory is a few stops will pay for the book but I think their price will put people off. We won't be buying another copy.
Can't see that - sites are getting more and more expensive so two or maximum three stops pays for the book and you have no hassle because you know you can stop and the only obligation is to say 'thanks for letting me stay'.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
We bought the book the 1st year of publication and only used 2 of the stops - both pubs and in both when we went in to check we were OK where we were parked and have a drink we were asked "what time do you want to book a table for this evening?"

We certainly felt it was an obligation to have a meal.

Never bothered with it again. If we want somewhere to stop for a night we'll use a CS, all of which are cheaper than 2 meals and drinks in a pub.

Denise

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
We bought the book the 1st year of publication and only used 2 of the stops - both pubs and in both when we went in to check we were OK where we were parked and have a drink we were asked "what time do you want to book a table for this evening?"

We certainly felt it was an obligation to have a meal.

Never bothered with it again. If we want somewhere to stop for a night we'll use a CS, all of which are cheaper than 2 meals and drinks in a pub.

Denise
In which case you should email Steve at Britstops and ask him to advise the two pubs you stayed at that that is not how the scheme works - even if you don't intend to use it again it would help the rest of us that do so we don't have the same greeting. We have never been asked to buy anything.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
We have used it a fair bit and choose places that allow the dug in. Works well for us and don't see a huge issue with the cost.
(Having said that we didn't buy this year's yet) :D

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
I do not see how Britstops work out more expensive than a site. We would be either going out for a meal or a couple of drinks anyway. So add this to the cost of a site and there is no way the Britstops is expensive. Maybe we do it differently to most.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
We have used it a fair bit and choose places that allow the dug in.
That's exactly what we look for, dog friendly places are essential for us, although most are surprised by the size of our dog when we arrive :D
Was the use of 'Dug' deliberate? Only ask because that's what we call our dog when she's being dopey :D (from the film Up!)

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
You can stay on a CL for between £5 and £10 and that will include toilet drop and fresh water. You won't be sat in a car park out the back. You can legitimately stay for 24 hours and the chances are you will have a nice quiet and peaceful time.

Pubs generally can not compete with that.

The majority of Britstop pubs we have stayed at were certainly not places we would choose to dine in. They were often filled with 'locals' who were just there for the beer.

Pubs are a dying industry these days, poor food, poor service, poor value....... and expensive beer.

We used Britstops last year to try it out and judge for ourselves. The verdict is that it's not for us. We would much rather stay on a CL every time.

I would just add that we did stay on a few 'farm' type Britstops and they were quite pleasant. We even stayed on a few that I would highly recommend, but they are far and few between.

This is all irrelevant for us because we are selling the van anyway :(

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
We have just bought this years Britstops for the first time having first done our research on what Britstops has to offer it seems the OP did not check to see what he was buying so seems unfair comments , I think that when Steve @BritStops when he gets back from the NEC will be able to comment.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
As a solo traveller, it's nice to see what a pub offers, especially if there is music.
Have been to a couple, one served the best steak ever, and one was an open Mike night.
Safety is paramount for me, and britstops offers that for me.

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Just bought the book at the NEC and see the advantages already. If you eat out anyway, you will save the site fees. Although there are other sites etc to use for pubs and sites etc, you cannot always get internet coverage to find them. Yes there is pre-planning, but if you drift and go where ever with no plan, the book is always at hand. Or should be unless like me you left it behind at my Sister's when I left on Saturday. Now the price I saved P&P by buying it at the show, I now have to pay to get it sent to me.:rolleyes:
The book also has additional information about directions / ignoring sat nav etc as I would have found out, but thats for a separate thread.(n)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User

For us something like ACSI would be a waste of money because we won't willingly stay on sites.

I think the £30 price tag for Britstops is perfectly reasonable.

You have to remember that the locations don't pay anything to appear in the book and there isn't any advertising, so unless you think Steve and Mandy should be doing it out of the goodness of their hearts and not make a living they can't really ask any less.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I do not see how Britstops work out more expensive than a site. We would be either going out for a meal or a couple of drinks anyway. So add this to the cost of a site and there is no way the Britstops is expensive. Maybe we do it differently to most.

Same as us. We almost always eat out, especially if we're only away for a short time, so we would be paying for drinks and a meal anyway.

I don't understand how not paying anything to sleep at the Britstop can possibly be more expensive than paying to stay at a site.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
In which case you should email Steve at Britstops and ask him to advise the two pubs you stayed at that that is not how the scheme works - even if you don't intend to use it again it would help the rest of us that do so we don't have the same greeting. We have never been asked to buy anything.

We did but haven't bothered with it since and will continue to use CS's when we stay in the UK. However we prefer to be in France rather than UK.

Denise

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
You can stay on a CL for between £5 and £10 and that will include toilet drop and fresh water. You won't be sat in a car park out the back. You can legitimately stay for 24 hours and the chances are you will have a nice quiet and peaceful time.

Pubs generally can not compete with that.

The majority of Britstop pubs we have stayed at were certainly not places we would choose to dine in. They were often filled with 'locals' who were just there for the beer.

Pubs are a dying industry these days, poor food, poor service, poor value....... and expensive beer.

We used Britstops last year to try it out and judge for ourselves. The verdict is that it's not for us. We would much rather stay on a CL every time.

I would just add that we did stay on a few 'farm' type Britstops and they were quite pleasant. We even stayed on a few that I would highly recommend, but they are far and few between.

This is all irrelevant for us because we are selling the van anyway :(
We must be unlucky with the cl's/cs's then as most we've looked at seem to be £12n& over a night now. Very rarely seen anything sub £10:(

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Cos at that price are also becoming a bit rare - seems to be more like £10 to £12 whenever we use one nowadays

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
As newbie MH'ers we like the concept of Britstops & in our view it could be handy for unplanned or '' emergency '' overnighting & as stated in the terms the stop can be free, although we would probably use & pay for whatever service / business the stop operator was involved in.

Melvin

Free Member
Jan 22, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
On & off since 1974
I looked at Britstops and was going to buy the book until my wife did a Google search . She found 3 other web sites that gave that sort of info for free.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
We are very mixed on britstops, we are used to going to France most of the time and use France passion when there which we have always found excellent apart from the hassle finding them, most are farms or vineyards, that don't really sell much and you are parked way out in the country, with no pressure to buy anything, mostly you don't see anyone after the initial meeting to tell them you are there, and at £24.50 we feel is a bargain.
Britstops are based on this, but really are very different because of the size of the U.K there isn't the scope for places like f p, and you are closer to the actual pub, in his car park in fact , we had Britstops 3 years ago and used it quite a bit but found we just had to have a meal out of appreciation even though we didn't really need to as we had everything we wanted on board, now when two of you have a meal and drinks you can be looking at £50 quite easily as opposed to £10 on a cl and two quid for cheese on toast, so we havnt had it again, but just a tip for you although I don't think Steve will agree, unlike fp you don't have to have your name in the book and rarely get asked for it anyway, so if you have friends and relations who also motorhome but at different times to you you can share the book around, as we did last year, we didn't have it but my son did so for the couple of times we stayed in this country we used his.
But I think the price is really too much compared with fp, and won't be having another.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back