LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
As the title suggests Co-Pilot has disgraced itself, I have been using Co-Pilot as an app on iPhone and iPad since we visited the Czech Republic last year and my trusted TomTom app did not have Czech Republic maps, when I interviewed the Co-Pilot for the post it had a total aversion to using a stretch of road near home but that just seemed to be a glitch and everywhere else was fine.

Well it got the job and performed well in Germany and the Czech Republic and all the way down France into Spain even avoiding all the tolls(y) with the RV setting it does route on slightly more main roads than the basic TomTom app would so has become the app of choice.

Well today was a beautiful drive from Córdoba to Granada with views of the Sierra Nevada's snow covered peaks, our camping at La Zubia was programmed in by coordinates and I even checked the zip code thingy matched the site address and all looked good.

We came of the motorway a junction before the instructions in the book but who reads instructions so we headed up the GR3209 a perfectly good road but then we were told to turn left down a track NO next left was another track NO further into town and it said left into a road but I ignored that as well, we then got to a mini roundabout and it said go all the way round and down the road which is now on our right, OK it was only 0.7 mile to our destination so what the hell. It started off as an OK one way street but gradually got narrower and twisty turny through houses then into a bit of countryside and a sign said 2metre width restriction, oh bugger but we carried on and got through OK. By now Jen was getting a bit panicky and I wasn't too happy either but it looked like it might be OK, "wrong" it then said turn right down something that looked like a track to an allotment.

Anyway cutting a long story short a car came along with a young couple in, I said where we wanted to be and asked if it was best to carry on or turn around HaHa, he looked at the 8.5 metre van and turn even paler than me and eventually suggested going back, she said no go straight on, then she said follow us Phew so we did, by now we were 2.5 miles from the camping and as we followed their car down perfectly good Tarmac roads the sat nav kept trying to turn into fields and tracks, eventually ignoring all the Co-Pilot instruction they dropped us off at the campsite gate.

We should have come straight off the GR30 motorway onto the GR410 but the stupid sat nav would not go on that road and tried to find every way around it including crossing fields on nothing more than bridleways, I have fiddles with setting and still no better, even our route out of here goes all around the houses to avoid the GR410.

Put the same coordinates into TomTom and straight here no problem so Co-Pilot is definitely on a written warning

If anybody wants to try it the site is at N37 07 48 W003 35 16 and we came from Córdoba but it's just the last few miles off the GR30, the GR410 will be right and the GR3209 wrong, very wrong.

Martin

Reactions: DBK

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Two problems/features of all sat navs:
1. they choose routes over others even if they are only seconds/metres faster/shorter.
2. they can only work on the data provided by the maps, which may be inaccurate.

The second reason may be why TomTom got it right on this occasion as they use TeleAtlas maps (which they bought a few years ago) whilst Co-Pilot uses Navteq.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
You trusted a satnav instead of your own brain - bad move.

A good backup is maps.me, free, which has a locator feature your devices GSP, so you can see exactly where you are and probably where you want to be, many campsites are on the maps.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
It must be the Spanish equivalent of the Bermuda triangle in that region of Spain...I have CoPilot on my mobile and it doesn't recognise a long stretch of the E17/A7 Mediterranean Route about 10 miles out of Nerja heading up the coast towards Murcia. I emailed ALK about this problem but have yet to receive a reply :swear2:

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
If it is any consolation Martin I invested in a (albeit used) TT Truck, they are like the little girl

When they are good they are very good, but when they are bad ................................

Mine will be on ebay soon (y)

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
I have CoPilot Truck - probably 98% of the time is perfect but when it goes wrong....

Never ignore the campsite instructions you are given in a good old fashioned book!

OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I have CoPilot Truck - probably 98% of the time is perfect but when it goes wrong....

Never ignore the campsite instructions you are given in a good old fashioned book!
I think we have just become a bit blasé over the years with sat nav taking us places no problem BUT this experience might make us take a little more care, I did ignore two left turn but the third turned into a one way so not easy to get back out. Hey ho.

Martin

OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
You trusted a satnav instead of your own brain - bad move.

A good backup is maps.me, free, which has a locator feature your devices GSP, so you can see exactly where you are and probably where you want to be, many campsites are on the maps.
I have maps.me but don't use it much, if I had put the route into TomTom it would have taken us 100%, it just seems that Co-Pilot has a block on certain roads and will use muddy track instead.

Martin

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I have maps.me but don't use it much, if I had put the route into TomTom it would have taken us 100%, it just seems that Co-Pilot has a block on certain roads and will use muddy track instead.

Martin
I'm giving Co Pilot a go at the moment as an alternative to my Garmin - which has tried to send me down a few tracks. I suppose it is strangely reassuring to hear the machines are not infallible and there is still a role for the human brain!

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Oh oh.I downloaded Co pilot Friday when our snooper gave up.
I set it up for rv but it didn't ask for dimensions.
I have installed some poi's from campercontact and searchforsites. I hope it doesn't go loopy on us!

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
As the title suggests Co-Pilot has disgraced itself, I have been using Co-Pilot as an app on iPhone and iPad since we visited the Czech Republic last year and my trusted TomTom app did not have Czech Republic maps, when I interviewed the Co-Pilot for the post it had a total aversion to using a stretch of road near home but that just seemed to be a glitch and everywhere else was fine.

Well it got the job and performed well in Germany and the Czech Republic and all the way down France into Spain even avoiding all the tolls(y) with the RV setting it does route on slightly more main roads than the basic TomTom app would so has become the app of choice.

Well today was a beautiful drive from Córdoba to Granada with views of the Sierra Nevada's snow covered peaks, our camping at La Zubia was programmed in by coordinates and I even checked the zip code thingy matched the site address and all looked good.

We came of the motorway a junction before the instructions in the book but who reads instructions so we headed up the GR3209 a perfectly good road but then we were told to turn left down a track NO next left was another track NO further into town and it said left into a road but I ignored that as well, we then got to a mini roundabout and it said go all the way round and down the road which is now on our right, OK it was only 0.7 mile to our destination so what the hell. It started off as an OK one way street but gradually got narrower and twisty turny through houses then into a bit of countryside and a sign said 2metre width restriction, oh bugger but we carried on and got through OK. By now Jen was getting a bit panicky and I wasn't too happy either but it looked like it might be OK, "wrong" it then said turn right down something that looked like a track to an allotment.

Anyway cutting a long story short a car came along with a young couple in, I said where we wanted to be and asked if it was best to carry on or turn around HaHa, he looked at the 8.5 metre van and turn even paler than me and eventually suggested going back, she said no go straight on, then she said follow us Phew so we did, by now we were 2.5 miles from the camping and as we followed their car down perfectly good Tarmac roads the sat nav kept trying to turn into fields and tracks, eventually ignoring all the Co-Pilot instruction they dropped us off at the campsite gate.

We should have come straight off the GR30 motorway onto the GR410 but the stupid sat nav would not go on that road and tried to find every way around it including crossing fields on nothing more than bridleways, I have fiddles with setting and still no better, even our route out of here goes all around the houses to avoid the GR410.

Put the same coordinates into TomTom and straight here no problem so Co-Pilot is definitely on a written warning

If anybody wants to try it the site is at N37 07 48 W003 35 16 and we came from Córdoba but it's just the last few miles off the GR30, the GR410 will be right and the GR3209 wrong, very wrong.

Martin
Hi Martin,

Having read your post, and as you know I am a CoPilot Truck fan, I put in a trip Cordoba to the grid reference you quote. It shows a route on the GR30 turning onto the GR410 as you advise is the best way. So I suspect your settings are not suitable, they are difficult to get right and I played for a long time, I still have an issue that it will avoid too many tight corners which is no longer an issue with the Flair. I am trying to get some screen shots of the route plan and my settings screen for you to compare.

Michael

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Oh oh.I downloaded Co pilot Friday when our snooper gave up.
I set it up for rv but it didn't ask for dimensions.
I have installed some poi's from campercontact and searchforsites. I hope it doesn't go loopy on us!
The Truck version asks for dimensions, I think the RV settings on the normal version simply adjusts speeds and preferences on major and minor roads.
On the Truck version it also has an RV setting but I use the Truck setting with dimensions which seems to work better for me.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
In Portugal recently I wanted to get somewhere but my Snooper refused to plot a route saying there was no suitable route for a vehicle my size and weight, wading through the setup I tried reducing our length and weight little by little and trying again but still it wouldn't compute a route. Sod it, in anger I fooled it and told the Sat Nav we were a motorcycle! Bloody SatNav, I think I knew the way there anyway.

I'll never forget the horrified look on that woman's face! She'd been having her hair done; she had all those silver paper bits in her hair and while waiting for the dye/bleach/whatever to work, she'd stepped out of the hairdressers and onto the tiny 9inch pavement for a fag. She heard us coming and turned toward the noise of our 6l diesel reverberating like an armoured tank and completely filling the impossibly narrow cobbled street. She tried to shout, but it was too late; my wing-mirror had already connected with the cigarette in her mouth. :oops:

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Here are some screen shots. My speeds are work in progress for the Flair, they affect ETA clacs.
Cordoba route.png
Cordoba route.png
Road Prefs.png

OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi Martin,

Having read your post, and as you know I am a CoPilot Truck fan, I put in a trip Cordoba to the grid reference you quote. It shows a route on the GR30 turning onto the GR410 as you advise is the best way. So I suspect your settings are not suitable, they are difficult to get right and I played for a long time, I still have an issue that it will avoid too many tight corners which is no longer an issue with the Flair. I am trying to get some screen shots of the route plan and my settings screen for you to compare.

Michael
Hi Michael

Thanks for that, I did alter setting a bit more last night but it still won't use the GR410, even a route to leave here it wants to go up the GR410 into La Zubia rather than straight down to the GR30, I will try yours and report back but must go to Granada now, on the bus.

Martin

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
The Truck version asks for dimensions, I think the RV settings on the normal version simply adjusts speeds and preferences on major and minor roads.
On the Truck version it also has an RV setting but I use the Truck setting with dimensions which seems to work better for me.
Ceejay you have it right, do not use the RV setting but the truck setting and very importantly review the road preferences. Strict use of the strongly avoid to strongly favour has a great effect. You will see I have local roads as strong avoid, hence I think the correct routing for Martin. Minor tweaks have little noticeable effect and using the route planning option on routes you know there is a specific "safe" way you can try out different settings from your arm chair?
Michael

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I have Co_Pilot and "Europe" on my iPhone and never really looked at it. I think I'll give it a proper whirl, just been having a play with the settings and it looks good.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Well, Martin, I read this and thought you were talking about your lovely wife :) ... I came on to admonish you ... lol.

Sorry you have had problems. Joy

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
I have Co_Pilot and "Europe" on my iPhone and never really looked at it. I think I'll give it a proper whirl, just been having a play with the settings and it looks good.
Jim, I have only ever used the CoPilot Truck (Europe) version, I am not sure if you get the features of road prefs etc on a basic version if that is what you have. If it is the Truck version then away you go. The road prefs feature is one of the big pros that CoPilot has over Sygic truck, but it takes some playing with as I have said.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Chris, just read your blog that hover bar looks interesting, I have a Brodit mount for my Nexus 7 which I fixed to the dash with industrial double sided but it is difficult getting a position close enough for reading and still look aesthetically OK, your install looks a good option.
I also noted you state that you cannot import POI's, is that an old comment or are you still not able to? I have thousands I have imported onto my CoPilot Truck, but its Android and I was wondering if you have an issue due to being an ithingy.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Jim, I have only ever used the CoPilot Truck (Europe) version, I am not sure if you get the features of road prefs etc on a basic version if that is what you have. If it is the Truck version then away you go. The road prefs feature is one of the big pros that CoPilot has over Sygic truck, but it takes some playing with as I have said.

Yes the version I have has Car, Motorhome Motorcycle etc profiles and lets me choose the same road preferences as in your screenshot above.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Can only say I find CoPilot superb far better than any satnav I've ever used especially its ability to plan and change routes.
Having said that I do find with all these poxy nav systems if they're gonna fail it's usually within the last mile or so. Just as you're thinking agh that was easy they lead you up the garden path.:D
Don't you just love technology.

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003

Martin

Just tried it Martin, from Portugal, and co-pilot sent me straight there.
I have RV set as vehicle and always have strongly avoid local streets. I think the strongly avoid is the one to use for local streets otherwise the shortest distance will use them.

OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Just tried it Martin, from Portugal, and co-pilot sent me straight there.
I have RV set as vehicle and always have strongly avoid local streets. I think the strongly avoid is the one to use for local streets otherwise the shortest distance will use them.
Will try that later, it's been OK up untill this little problem, mine is going further on more minor roads just to avoid that perfectly good GR410.
Mine is fine if Southbound GR30 but not Northbound even with strongly avoid for the two lowest cat roads,

Martin

Last edited:

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Will try that later, it's been OK up untill this little problem, mine is going further on more minor roads just to avoid that perfectly good GR410.
Mine is fine if Southbound GR30 but not Northbound even with strongly avoid for the two lowest cat roads,

Martin
Martin try changing secondary roads to avoid, rather than strong avoid, that is what I have and used for the same route you proposed. It may be that with secondary and local as strong avoid it thinks, ***k it I have to go on one so might as well be the shortest?? Anyway give it a tweak.

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Chris, just read your blog that hover bar looks interesting,...
I also noted you state that you cannot import POI's, is that an old comment or are you still not able to? I have thousands I have imported onto my CoPilot Truck, but its Android and I was wondering if you have an issue due to being an ithingy.

The hover bar is great but you do need something strong to attach it to - you can buy them at The Apple Store but probably cheaper elsewhere.

On iOS it is still not possible to import POI - I use Poi viewer on my iPad and also have many thousands of poi files uploaded - it is okay as an alternative solution.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back