A class - blinded by the sun while driving (1 Viewer)

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
We have a Hymer A class. The 2 drop down sun shades for the windscreen, which are fixed to the underside of the drop down bed, are so far apart they leave a large gap, which means when the sun is low I am blinded by it while driving. I have looked to see if Hymer sell a middle shade to fix to the drop down bed but can't see one.

Has anybody found a way of dealing with this problem please?

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Not much good when the sun is directly in your face though.

Mine are (y)

I've got prescription Oakleys, with Oakley lenses. The lenses are polarised so you can look more or less directly at the sun if you really want to.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Must admit that I have not really noticed the problem. I find that by adjusting the fore-and-aft movement with the cantilever mounting brackets, and adjusting the angle of the screens, I can cope with most situations. Where I do have a problem is when the sunlight is low and to the left and comes in the side window (ours is LHD). Then I resort to sticking up a perforated baby sunscreen (rectangular and with suckers at each end - from Mothercare).

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I have prescription sunglasses and wear a baseball cap even though I don't play baseball but the best way I have found to combat the problem it to shut my eyes (y):LOL:

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Isle of Dogs, but mostly Artola Spain.
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
But I'me not American ......... :D:D
This site is great for info!
Up until today, I was not aware, that I had to be an American to wear a Baseball cap!
There's me wearing one on the Golf course, not realising I was breaking some law or other!!
Not sure why the poster posted if he just ridicules all the suggestions!

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
There are options. How about a short Roller blind in the gap.? My Winnebago had side roller blinds which where perforated and could be seen through but stopped the glare very well?.

I have seen electric adjustable ones in the USA. if your really feeling "flush"!!.

Polaroid sunglasses work but are not the best solution. Also a "Sunstrip" accross the upper part of the screen helps too. (Mine used to say Adventure before Dementure, but I lost it with the R-V!)

Pete

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I just put a cap on and enjoy the sun.

We have sun blinds but very rarely use, on when Mrs Funflair request them as she doesn't wear a cap.

Martin

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
I always wear a baseball cap when playing baseball . However I have never played baseball. What about the green stick on sun shades? Those about 10 inches wide stuck to the top of the screen? Those that spotty youths used to put their and their girlfriends name on.

My Dog Likes Fishing

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 16, 2012
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678
Exp
Hang on while I look at my watch
Drive in reverse or just close your eyes! Careful though you may spill your beer. If it's really difficult then get the wife to take her turn!

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
What ... like the Irish astronauts who wanted to fly to the Sun at night so they wouldn't burn up!:rolleyes:

Or the English one (who was actually a Pakistani) as they had to cancel take off because he forgot his coloring book and pencils...:rolleyes:

OP
OP
peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Up until today, I was not aware, that I had to be an American to wear a Baseball cap!
There's me wearing one on the Golf course, not realising I was breaking some law or other!!
Errr....... did you not notice the smileys, and the fact that I "liked" the post??

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Mine are (y)

I've got prescription Oakleys, with Oakley lenses. The lenses are polarised so you can look more or less directly at the sun if you really want to.

Of course not :ROFLMAO:

Just making the point that decent polarised lenses, whether you need prescription ones or not, can cope with sun directly in your face as you describe in your OP.

So have I & graded 4 , illegal to drive in the dark & in tunnels. BUT in July /august here you forget you are even wearing them as the sun is so brilliant. Not possible to drive into a setting sun without some sort of visor.

I does help to be American but a khead is just the same.:) The only thing worse than a baseball cap is one worn back wards . :( or even worse than that, sideways.:cry:

There are options. How about a short Roller blind in the gap.? My Winnebago had side roller blinds which where perforated and could be seen through but stopped the glare very well?.

I have seen electric adjustable ones in the USA. if your really feeling "flush"!!.

Polaroid sunglasses work but are not the best solution. Also a "Sunstrip" accross the upper part of the screen helps too. (Mine used to say Adventure before Dementure, but I lost it with the R-V!)

Pete

The real problem is the screens are far to big. Just like coaches . Why on earth anyone wants a screen that goes right up that high is anybodies guess, The road is in front not up in the air.:LOL:

I like what I have The over cab shades the sun except first thing when rising or last thing when setting & the seat ishigh enough that you are looking down rather than out.
All I'm looking fornow is one of the overcab visors with something like " El Señor viajar conmigo" :D or " Jesus is mi pasejero " :LOL:

Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
Put your baseball cap on back to front, lean forwards and put your head down, turn your music and pretend to be a boy racer.... will take your mind of the sun in yours eyes if nothing else when you see the look on the oncoming drivers faces...lol

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
I have the same problem in our coachbuilt, there is nothing in between the visors (mainly because I removed the rearview mirror). Also in my car, the visors are pretty close to useless, when down I can't see the road. In both cases I use polarised sun glasses, works for me. :D

OP
OP
peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
The real problem is the screens are far to big. Just like coaches . Why on earth anyone wants a screen that goes right up that high is anybodies guess, The road is in front not up in the air.:LOL:
One of the reasons I bought an A class to replace my C class was because of the decent size screen. Gives a much lighter and more panoramic view; the C class felt I was looking through a letter box. All that is needed is decent size visors, that covers the whole screen when they are both down. Ah well ...... can't have it all. :D:D

Oct 20, 2013
South Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Yes
One of the reasons I bought an A class to replace my C class was because of the decent size screen. Gives a much lighter and more panoramic view; the C class felt I was looking through a letter box. All that is needed is decent size visors, that covers the whole screen when they are both down. Ah well ...... can't have it all. :D:D
Gives you something to whinge about though :whistle:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back