Ducato Dim Dashboard Illumination (1 Viewer)

Apache

Free Member
Jun 22, 2014
Rotherham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
5 Years
Hello folks, not been on the forum for a while so if this has been discussed already I apologise . We changed our motorhome at October 2015 NEC show ( swapped our Apache 632 for a shiny new Apache 700 ) and were lucky to be able to take delivery in November so no long wait. We are very pleased with our new purchase but I do find the instruments difficult to see in daylight. I seem to recall there was mention of this in a previous edition of MMM and that Fiat were offering a solution to this problem. Have any of you had this modification done and was it successful ?
Also where did you go to get it done , Dealer or Fiat Professional workshop and was it free ?

Jun 21, 2008
Haxey, Doncaster, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2005
Fiat do have a fix for the problem but the fix is not available till sometime in March you need to register your fault with fiat and your Fiat dealer will do the fix when available

john

OP
OP
Apache

Apache

Free Member
Jun 22, 2014
Rotherham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
5 Years
Thanks John , presumably that means my local Fiat Professional workshop ?
Or should I contact Fiat uk direct would you say ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 21, 2011
Up’t North West
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
Hi Apache
I contacted Fiat on 0080034281111 to ask about my ignition switch recall and lodge for my illumination of my speedo to be fixed on my 2015 MH.
Colin

OP
OP
Apache

Apache

Free Member
Jun 22, 2014
Rotherham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
5 Years
Good point Colin thank you , I did wonder about phoning that number but wasn't sure. Will do now though. Has yours got the integrated Tom Tom sat nav and if so did it come with live traffic built in ? Mine has the symbol for it on the screen but it's not active. I wondered if it is only active when a signal is available

Jul 21, 2011
Up’t North West
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
Hi Apache
I've had two brand new Autotrails in the past, both suffered from water ingress in less than 18months, I bought a new PVC. Then when I was at the NEC after talking and watching Mr Thomas and Mr Turpin from Autotrail I decided because of the attitude they showed to customers they were NEVER getting my money again. I now have a foreign made MH.
As regards to TomTom I have had x2 stand alone ones with no problem.
Colin

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
There is a problem with some recent vehicles but have you tried turning the illumination up - it is adjustable.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
There is a problem with some recent vehicles but have you tried turning the illumination up - it is adjustable.
The problem is that there is no illumination of the instruments at all when the lights are not switched on, so there is no point trying to turn up something that is not there :D. That is why we are finding it difficult to see. Illumination only comes on when lights are switched on, and then you can adjust it.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The problem is that there is no illumination of the instruments at all when the lights are not switched on, so there is no point trying to turn up something that is not there :D. That is why we are finding it difficult to see. Illumination only comes on when lights are switched on, and then you can adjust it.
Wierd, it sounds like you have one of the ones which have a fault.

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Wierd, it sounds like you have one of the ones which have a fault.
According to Fiat all the X290s and X295s are like that and were designed like it. There are other faults - problem with the ignition, which is subject to a recall for certain VIN numbers, and glowing warning lights which is not subject to a recall, but which the Fiat dealer will fix if your vehicle has the problem. Mine is OK for the former, but last Thursday I got the latter sorted. Still waiting for the lighting though.

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
I have 2015 700 but don't seem to have an issue with the dash lights, had the ignition switch done today, took about 10 minutes i think.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Just picked up my B544 on 9th Feb, no daylight illumination of speedo and rev counter although the trip is lit.
On a bright day almost impossible to read speedo.
I rang the dedicated number , as above, to register and again the fix should take place in March.
I saw a young lady on the Fiat stand at NEC who said it was a software fix, hmmm, we will see.

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
Hi Apache
I've had two brand new Autotrails in the past, both suffered from water ingress in less than 18months, I bought a new PVC. Then when I was at the NEC after talking and watching Mr Thomas and Mr Turpin from Autotrail I decided because of the attitude they showed to customers they were NEVER getting my money again. I now have a foreign made MH.
As regards to TomTom I have had x2 stand alone ones with no problem.
Colin

Your are obviously responding to another post. NEVER, post under the influence. Think Fiat, not Auto Trail :doh: Think, how can I help the OP, if I can't, I shouldn't rant.

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
Does your instrument cluster light up without the outside lights being on?
Been and looked today and no the speedo does light up without lights on and yes i can see now that it could be a problem. Please don't take it as though i don't watch my speed :whistle:. So there is going to be a solution for this ?

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Been and looked today and no the speedo does light up without lights on and yes i can see now that it could be a problem. Please don't take it as though i don't watch my speed :whistle:. So there is going to be a solution for this ?
Phone up Fiat camper support on 0080034281111 (note the double zero at the beginning). They are based in Milan, but speak perfect English and are very helpful. They will put you on the list and contact you when the modification is available at your local Fiat Pro dealer.

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
Phone up Fiat camper support on 0080034281111 (note the double zero at the beginning). They are based in Milan, but speak perfect English and are very helpful. They will put you on the list and contact you when the modification is available at your local Fiat Pro dealer.
Great stuff , thank you.

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
06/04/16. Just had a call from FIAT Italy. They have completed their update process and rang to arrange for my local FIAT professional agent to be put in touch with me to book my MH in for a instrument cluster update.

Dec 20, 2010
birmingham
Funster No
MH
kon-tiki 669. mazda bongo
Exp
since2011
06/04/16. Just had a call from FIAT Italy. They have completed their update process and rang to arrange for my local FIAT professional agent to be put in touch with me to book my MH in for a instrument cluster update.
I to am waiting for a update. Please post as to what the fix is and if its OK

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
I did ask what the fix was but the caller knew only that it is supposed to improve the readability of the instruments.

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just visited Fiat professional garage in Oxford for the ignition recall 5956.

The service engineer popped round to check if I wanted the dashboard mod applying, it is a firmware update for that illuminates the dash board dials when the ignition is on, rather than just when the lights are on.

Quick and easy to apply and makes a difference, not perfect but much better. The engineer says it not a recall or mandatory but they are offering it to any vans that come in, he has done loads so far and no one has asked for it to be undone.

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
7 year old thread, I know. There maybe other posts relating to this but I didn’t find any.
Ours is a 2014 a for the first five years it was serviced by a Fiat Professional garage, I mentioned this issue several times and got nowhere.
Does anyone know if there is a fix outside of going to a Fiat Professional garage?

Sep 9, 2019
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 632
Exp
Since Sept 2019
I bought a HUD from Amazon for £28. It’s brilliant. It comes with a sticky pad on the base allowing you to stick it to the top of the steering wheel cowl. Easy to see in the brightest sunshine or when running through a dense canopy of trees, and it’s obviously fine in the dark too. You can still see the vehicle dials for warning lights, fuel, temperature gauge etc. You can also set it for Km/h for Europe. It indicates that my van speedo over reads by 2-4 mph.
We have an Autotrail Apache 632 on a Ducato X250 chassis for reference.

Cheers! Russ

IMG_0111.jpeg

Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
7 year old thread, I know. There maybe other posts relating to this but I didn’t find any.
Ours is a 2014 a for the first five years it was serviced by a Fiat Professional garage, I mentioned this issue several times and got nowhere.
Does anyone know if there is a fix outside of going to a Fiat Professional garage?
Lockwood do white dial inserts which are easier to read.

Jul 21, 2011
Up’t North West
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
Although these HUD’s are relatively cheap to buy, working off a GPS signal they have been proved to be very accurate when tested against a calibrated source.
They need to be placed in a open position on the dashboard whereby they can find several satellite signals. Can be problematic in large built-up situations. They are a worthwhile addition when travelling abroad in the Motorhome.
Colin

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back