Breakdown Cover????? (1 Viewer)

Keggy

Free Member
Aug 10, 2009
Funster No
Hi There

Complete newbie to the forum and to motorhoming in general. I have thrown myself in at the deep end and bought a 1990 30' coach conversion. All has gone well so far and I have sorted insurance / storage etc. Only problem seems to be breakdown cover. Some companies will cover the age of the vehicle and some will cover the size (6300kg) but no one will do both. Does anybody know of a company that might provide breakdown cover a 20 year old coach conversion?

billyfreda

Free Member
May 2, 2009
ashford, kent
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
6 months
Insurance

Try Sureterm Direct, they should do both thats who i am with. I dont know if they will cover you because of the age of the motorhome.
Regards billyfreda.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Can't help with your problem just had to say WELCOME to the fun.:thumb:

Dave:thumb::thumb:

OP
OP
K

Keggy

Free Member
Aug 10, 2009
Funster No
Yes, it is a home conversion (done by someone whose day job was kitting out motorhomes). It is fair to say that this was an impulse purchase - I was so impressed by the standard of the conversion that I had to buy it!!

I have seen the Nationwide Pay as You Go scheme and I may be restricted to that, but just wondered if there are any alternatives. I have no plans to travel great distances at he moment so getting myself and the family home wouldn't be a problem - I simply want peace of mind that the motorhome won't be left at the side of the M1!!!

OP
OP
K

Keggy

Free Member
Aug 10, 2009
Funster No
Thanks for the recommendation, but Sureterm will do size and weight but won't cover the age of the vehicle.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
pity its a home conversion......

RAC Arrival scheme through the camping and caravaning club covers any size and weight and age.

but there are restrictions on H/builds.....weight and length.:cry:

edit.....

just checked and its restricted to 4.5t and 7.5mtrs for non-propriertery vehicles.(home conversions)

Last edited:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Hi,Have had some very strange vehicles with brekdown cover done by Adrian Flux,but I think you will have to insure with him to get the breakdown cover.

roger buckley

Free Member
Apr 16, 2009
northants
Funster No
MH
hymer c class
Exp
since 2007
breakdown insurance

Hi
We use Green Flag - as the rac would not cover motothomes
Hope this helps
Regards Roger:Smile:

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
edit.....

just checked and its restricted to 4.5t and 7.5mtrs for non-propriertery vehicles.(home conversions)

Might seem pedantic but surely the vehicle on a home build would be propriatery its the contents thats different - possibly worth the effort of a phone call if the outside of the vehicle is standard and ask the question ??

johng

Free Member
Aug 15, 2007
Kent/Sussex UK
Funster No
MH
1984 C ClassGMC
Exp
hi Keggy

I have been offered recovery for £149, 5 tons, 23' and 1984...

I can't actually remember the name of the company :Doh: but will be accepting their cover in a couple of weeks.. will find the name later

John

Left-Hooker

Free Member
Aug 29, 2008
North Wales
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
5 Years
Brittania Rescue did it for me. Although they did point out that recovery might be slow as a larger low loader would be required.

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
We have breakdown cover through RAC with the Arrivals Scheme through CCC. I wanted confirmation that they would recover our fifth wheel, even though I was assured that we were from this guy I was speaking to in Bombay (not sure if he knew what a fifth wheel was), so we also registered with the RAC Commercial Breakdown service. You don't pay an annual subscription, you only pay if you need recovering, the costs of these are given when you register, not cheap but it is better than being stuck on the side of a motorway, as you fear.

Sundowners

johng

Free Member
Aug 15, 2007
Kent/Sussex UK
Funster No
MH
1984 C ClassGMC
Exp
IC breakdown I believe.....

good luck

most places dont seem interested when you say your over 10 years old..

P

petevw

Deleted User
european breakdown cover

hi
I am with the German company ADAC when i joined they didnt stipulate any conditions regarding size and weight of vehicle for full european cover its costs 79 euros i broke down recently in girona spain and the spanish RACC where informed and appeared within the hour the best way to join is to phone ADAC directly by phone which can be found on there website dont be put off by the fact the website is in german as all the advisors speak perfect english
take care Pete

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
just had a look on the caravan club site and and the clubs breakdown service, mayday, (greenflag) have no size/weight limits anymore but no mention of age:Sad:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back