Table covers? (1 Viewer)

Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
We are delighted with our new (to us) Hymer but we are trying to make it look less like a space capsule. Photos and pictures don't work too well. I came up with the idea of jolly table cloths - preferably held in place underneath by elastic (a bit like contour sheets. )
Has anyone seen anything like this around as I am loathe to put needle to fabric myself ..... Without elastic or ties underneath I'm guessing it'd slide right off when we brushed against it.
Failing this - has anyone any ideas how we can put our mark on the van to give it some character? Don't want to replace the curtains as they are see through ones.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Easy peasy ... table cloth clips:

Broken Link Removed

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Of course! Thank you!
Wondered also if any company made table cloths to fit Hymer tables specifically? Could be a nice little earner for someone if not!

Sep 11, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2013
How about using the clips or weights often used outdoors on tables? You can get some very pretty/fancy ones.

I was unhappy with the blandness of our motorhome until I recently fitted some heavy curtains at the cab end to cut down draughts. They transformed it. I also made an over door organiser from the same material which is very useful. I'm not handy with sewing but I do own a sewing machine and just got stuck in. I amazed myself :)

Karen

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Good idea thanks Karen
Have you got a pic you could post?
You mean you put a curtain that covers the captains chairs? or drapes behind them when you're sitting there?

Sep 11, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2013
The curtain separates the cab/hab areas as shown so might not suit your layout. We have side benches that we move to when curtain is closed.

DSC_0030.JPG DSC_0029.JPG

When we get back from this trip I'm also going to cover the removable boards which provide extra back support.......using double sided tape :) and maybe a bit of padding.

I bought a pair of huge 'seconds' curtains from eBay and I had tons of extra material.

Karen

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
The curtain separates the cab/hab areas as shown so might not suit your layout. We have side benches that we move to when curtain is closed.

View attachment 95026 View attachment 95027

When we get back from this trip I'm also going to cover the removable boards which provide extra back support.......using double sided tape :) and maybe a bit of padding.

I bought a pair of huge 'seconds' curtains from eBay and I had tons of extra material.

Karen
This is the voice of the Mysterons
You gotta be a certain age to get this

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 11, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2013
This is the voice of the Mysterons
You gotta be a certain age to get this

I'm a certain age and recognise the quote but still don't get it @Geo . Enlighten me, I promise not to take offence if its a dig at my interior decorating choices (y)

Karen

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
I'm a certain age and recognise the quote but still don't get it @Geo . Enlighten me, I promise not to take offence if its a dig at my interior decorating choices (y)

Karen

It's not your choice Karen it's just the circles..... They look like the mysterons lights..:)(y)

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
They are fab Karen well done! Love the over door organiser too.
Was that curtain metal pole already there? I wouldn't want to mess with the inbuilt curtain rails really. Ours are quite flimsy.

Deleted User
On our old pvc we had a few sections that could be removed, behind sofas, door, so we took them off and covered in a beach hut water proof fabric, mostly to stop the dogs getting muck on the original beige fluffy stuff, but it also jazzed the van up. We also made a new table top and used same stuff to cover just then stapled underneath, so more like a new fixed top than a table cloth.
New van is all moulded plastic so can't do much, have stated putting retro pics up, the ones that are made from thin metal, use strips of no nails each strip holds up to 2kg and you just twist to remove.
We recovered our sofas in the old van it was very bright and not to everyone's taste, but we liked it, had bright blue, then swapped to bright red.
I started collecting fridge magnets on our travels in the old van as it had sections of metal on the doors. Can't do this on new van, though I'm thinking of no nailsing a section of metal to bathroom wall to put them on.

Lin :)
WP_20140627_008.jpg
FB_20140911_17_44_53_Saved_Picture.jpg

Sep 11, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2013
No, the pole is from B&Q and slots into a small hook and ring that Brian fitted.

I resized 2 curtains into 3 (also have one over the hab door) so the heading was already done. I just had to stitch hems and some of the sides.

The organiser has 3 secret compartments at the back as well :)

The main thing is that the curtains have made a huge difference to heat retention and make us feel much cosier in the evenings.

Karen

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
It's lovely
Maybe I could get someone to fit the pole for me. But a curtain would flop against our heads as that's where we sit in the evenings....
I love the idea of the draught excluding aspect and the bright colour curtain.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
From Captain Scarlet, whenever "This is the voice of the Mysterons" was heard there were 3 circles playing across the walls
It was the first thing that popped into my otherwise over worked brain:D

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
It's lovely
Maybe I could get someone to fit the pole for me. But a curtain would flop against our heads as that's where we sit in the evenings....
I love the idea of the draught excluding aspect and the bright colour curtain.
I made 3 curtain panels to go in the cab of one of our motorhomes where we used the swivelled cab seats and it did make a lot of different to comfort! I had a panel for each of the cab doors and one for the windscreen - to 'fit' them I sewed 'fluffy' Velcro onto the top of the panels in a few places and stuck some 'sticky' Velcro (grippy bit) around the cab above the windscreen and cab doors to mate up with the fluffy bits. I also put some on the sides of the panels (fluffy/grippy as appropriate) and where the front panel and the door panels met to keep them together and also at the edges that were next to the 'B' pillar with Velcro (sticky) again to hold the edges tight up to it. I had 3 panels simply to make it easier to store them when not in use (they were just folded and put in the overcab area) but it could be done in 2 or just one if you wish. Charity shops are a great place to get good quality curtains.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
A table cloth!

We always chuckle when we see folk putting their table outside under the awning and then put a table cloth over it. But then we must be vulgar and common! :)

However, those clip things are useful if you want to be posh, but a point of etiquette here if I may as standards need to be kept up. A table cloth, if you are going to use one, has to be made of cotton or some other natural material and properly ironed. Plastic table clothes are for greasy spoon cafes! :D:D:D

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Thanks Minxy girl
Have you got a pic?
No sorry, no photo, but basically just 3 panels and Velcro, nothing to it really.

What motorhome have you got?

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
Jac sprat,

You want to put marks on our van to give it character, damn, here's me trying to get the marks off mine, perhaps we should swap :whistle2:

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Have you thought of Ceramic Tiles on the exterior ? , it would stand out then. Another big plus would be,it would make it water proof,lots of houses out here have ceramic tiles all over them.
You may even get a few bob for it in America tell them its an English Space Shuttle.........
Remember,you are on........ "Fun"
Tea Bag

Deleted User
Hi.
Have you thought of Ceramic Tiles on the exterior ? , it would stand out then. Another big plus would be,it would make it water proof,lots of houses out here have ceramic tiles all over them.
You may even get a few bob for it in America tell them its an English Space Shuttle.........
Remember,you are on........ "Fun"
Tea Bag
Now there's an idea for our van, been trying to think of a design my brother in law can spray ours, spaceship and some planets, maybe a death star :)

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Now there's an idea for our van, been trying to think of a design my brother in law can spray ours, spaceship and some planets, maybe a death star :)
Hi.
Take this post as a "Double LIKE!!"
Tea Bag
PS. Seen on the bonnet of a brand new "Leyland Comet " 1963/5.... on the M1. "Motorway Meteor " and yes,it did take some catching LOL. Midland Red buses..... NO chance of catching them in those days.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
My van is a Hyner Minxy girl.
Might want to update your profile to show your actual make/model/year as it makes it easier for people to give you help regarding queries if they know what it is.:)

Is it an A-class or coachbuilt?

... feels like 20 questions :D

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016