Arriving at aire after dark. (1 Viewer)

Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
When we crossed to France via the tunnel on previous trips we have arrived so we reached our first aire in daylight. Next month we shall arrive in France at 8pm French time and plan to find an aire just outside (Wissant? Boulogne? ). I'm a bit concerned about hunting around for a pitch in the dark. So probably asking about Aires that are straightforward to pitch up at....possibly less busy. I gather from another thread that Wissant can be busy at any time of year. We've been to France twice in the MH and normally head south for a couple of hours or so (Forges les Eau). I may be worrying about nothing and it will not totally be dark then anyway but just wanted to be prepared.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Although it's twenty minutes in the wrong direction , gravelines is always our first stop at night , straight in off the motorway, never been when you couldn't find a place, nice town, with bars and cafes, five minute walk, supermarket and fuel five mins away.

Zoppydog

Deceased RIP
Jul 19, 2013
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
Since 2013
Although it's twenty minutes in the wrong direction , gravelines is always our first stop at night , straight in off the motorway, never been when you couldn't find a place, nice town, with bars and cafes, five minute walk, supermarket and fuel five mins away.
Same with us
Chris

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
When we crossed to France via the tunnel on previous trips we have arrived so we reached our first aire in daylight. Next month we shall arrive in France at 8pm French time and plan to find an aire just outside (Wissant? Boulogne? ). I'm a bit concerned about hunting around for a pitch in the dark. So probably asking about Aires that are straightforward to pitch up at....possibly less busy. I gather from another thread that Wissant can be busy at any time of year. We've been to France twice in the MH and normally head south for a couple of hours or so (Forges les Eau). I may be worrying about nothing and it will not totally be dark then anyway but just wanted to be prepared.
Most aires have reasonable lighting

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
We have done that at night for the past few years, going to Wissant and not had a problem.
It's a big round circle with bus lanes in the middle easy to navigate. At this time of year I doubt it will be busy and the parking is easy.
Don't park in the middle where the buses go, and remember the hour difference, caught me out first time.
I like to arrive late then off next morning early for a good first day run.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Like keith we find Wissant is not a problem. Not been to Gravelines, but will be stopping there to check it out in March on our way to UK.

Clive

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2012
Canvey Island
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I have found the main one at Gravelines full before now but never the one at the water sports activity lake, last time there was just two of us. Boulogne Sur Mer I'd avoid given it slops quite a bit in parts and that's the last thing you want to do at night. St Vallery Sur Somme is an OK stop :)

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I wouldn't worry about it. The French don't, and it is their system. Many aires are lit till quite late, and if not your headlights will be fine for finding a slot and you'll only disturb people for a minute or two. They won't worry about you when they fire up to leave at 5am :)

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Pitch up? You taking a tent? Drive in, handbrake on, blinds shut, cork out, sorted.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I arrived once at Wissant at 4.30am.. (long story).
It was out of season in January... Only 2 vans there and one was my mate who we had planned to meet.
Cant see any problems.. Just have a back up plan in case weather is bad etc.
I use the Cite Europe often, some dont like it but it's easy from the ferry / tunnel, well lit and you know there is always space.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
As an extra point, aires will tend to be busier at weekends, starting Friday night, for obvious reasons.

Cite Europe is the largest available MH parking area in the Calais area that isn't too close to stowaway land. Well lit (some might say too well lit), well signposted, easily accessible and closer than Wissant or Gravelines. We've stayed in all of them, plus the two port aires. Cite Europe has the added bonus of a large supermarket for the next morning if you need it, and I've never seen their MH parking area full.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
As an extra point, aires will tend to be busier at weekends, starting Friday night, for obvious reasons.

Cite Europe is the largest available MH parking area in the Calais area that isn't too close to stowaway land. Well lit (some might say too well lit), well signposted, easily accessible and closer than Wissant or Gravelines. We've stayed in all of them, plus the two port aires. Cite Europe has the added bonus of a large supermarket for the next morning if you need it, and I've never seen their MH parking area full.
Yes we've done this one as well if we are in a rush, even though you may see a few undesirables about , it seems safe enough as the police station is in the corner, and regular patrols.

jtp890

Free Member
May 16, 2014
wakefield
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7014
Exp
13 years on n off
Agree with surfbus, Cite can be better for a late meal out and supermarket. Gravelines provides a nice walk for dog into town, but bars can be closed out of season. Never had a problem at either, Cite is free!!!

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
We (me) are thinking of staying at Cite Europe week after next. Wife is worried about immigrants. Last year we stopped for an hour or so for shopping and there were a few in the trees on the left as you drive in. Has anybody had any problems or worries when using it?

Also does it have water and grey/black dump?

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
We (me) are thinking of staying at Cite Europe week after next. Wife is worried about immigrants. Last year we stopped for an hour or so for shopping and there were a few in the trees on the left as you drive in. Has anybody had any problems or worries when using it?

No

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997

Haven't seen any migrants round there for some years. It doesn't have a service point that I know of - the nearest would be opposite the port at the eastern end of Digue Gaston Berthe.

Only problem we had was very bright overhead lighting and some knobhead running his generator all night.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004

we were there after Christmas and never saw any,there were police patrols in the evening. went to auchen next day to finish shopping when we came out about 40 police surrounded our van luckily they were on a break from migrant duties

joe

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010

If there were any and they 'hitched a ride' you'd be going the wrong way! That'd teach 'em.

Wyn

Feb 3, 2013
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
ENC Fifer Touring M
Exp
Since the 90's

The new Auchan filling station on the other side of the Cite Europe building (Blvd de L'Europe) is now open and has a motorhome servicepoint.... 50.93605 1.80663

Pete

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Thanks for that. Presumably it has not got the height restriction the original underground one has?
Auchen here has dumping point no height limit.
:Avenue Rodger Salengro

Last edited:

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Tardingham Farm at Hervelinghem, just outside Wissant is one of our favourites, the farm runs 3 sites, only the main one at the farm has a service point and EHU, should you need it, the other 2 have views over the channel, all are very quiet with the bonus in season that the local Boulangerie van visits about 9am.

May 23, 2013
Not on the Coast East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
Tardingham Farm at Hervelinghem, just outside Wissant is one of our favourites, the farm runs 3 sites, only the main one at the farm has a service point and EHU, should you need it, the other 2 have views over the channel, all are very quiet with the bonus in season that the local Boulangerie van visits about 9am.

We have used the farm a number of times but I believe the other two sites might have closed recently due to a spat between the farmer and the local mayor going back a number of years.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
That's a shame, the site above the farm was really nice. I know one of his neighbours ( next to this site) was fighting against the site for a while and burning rubbish when the wind was blowing over the aire. He got told very strongly to put it out by a rather large Dutch motorhomer last year!

ojibway

Free Member
Jul 17, 2012
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005
We've usually opted for Le Crotoy for a first night as it's a pleasant place to walk around and it give you an hour headstart.

Philiphall

Free Member
Dec 28, 2012
Department 87, Haute Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
A few years now had a break but back with a MH now
we always stop at an aire near Escalles its on the D243 past the village of Peuplingues which also have a great boulangerie that opens early morning.Its about 3 miles from tunnel, you can get to Wissant through Escalles along the coast road, there is always loads of room. its listed as an aire in the Aires book but says you cannot stop the night, there is no signage on site to confirm this, the Dutch, Germans & French always seem to be there. Plus Brit Hymer owners as apparently there is info on there site?

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
we always stop at an aire near Escalles its on the D243 past the village of Peuplingues which also have a great boulangerie that opens early morning.Its about 3 miles from tunnel, you can get to Wissant through Escalles along the coast road, there is always loads of room. its listed as an aire in the Aires book but says you cannot stop the night, there is no signage on site to confirm this, the Dutch, Germans & French always seem to be there. Plus Brit Hymer owners as apparently there is info on there site?
It is on Campercontact but one of the reviews (dated August 2015) says that there is now a new sign up saying no parking for camping cars between 11pm and 8am!!

Philiphall

Free Member
Dec 28, 2012
Department 87, Haute Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
A few years now had a break but back with a MH now
It is on Campercontact but one of the reviews (dated August 2015) says that there is now a new sign up saying no parking for camping cars between 11pm and 8am!!

I stayed there after August last year & there were still people staying overnight - I must admit I never saw the sign. The place is pretty isolated & I wonder if they are only checking in the summer. I will be there again in a few weeks so will post my findings

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back