Free Member
Dec 5, 2015
Peterborough
Funster No
MH
coachbuild
Exp
approx 2003
just been shopping with her who must be obeyed and I said we need to get some basics for the van plus our go to meal when we run out - which isn't very often but it is always nice to have something in.

which got me thinking "what does everybody else do ?"

anyway our backup is real simple but enjoyable probably because of that....

corned beef, beans and tinned potatoes - a la cornedbeef hash.

obviously it takes time to select a good wine to go with it and I have been known to spend more than £2.50 on a full bottle - occasionally!(Yorkshire born and bred)

so what's yours ??

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Pretty much like yours, always poo pooed tined taters, but now always have a tin or two in stock since touring with some friends and got introduced to the ease of getting a meal(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Pasta with Tuna
Tin of Chili con carne or curry with rice
Three tin stew, tins of mixed vegetables, potatoes and minced beef with onion.

Brisey.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Tinned mince, tinned potatoes and either tinned peas or ideally if you can get them tinned peppers, red or green, makes a great "campers stew" which sustained my family for decades on trips in Europe and the UK.

These days you can get posh nosh like coq au vin in a tin although in my experience you need a tin per person as they are a bit mean with the "coq". :D

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
We have so many back up meals in the van. Always have a stock of good old Fray Bentos, I do like the chicken and bacon. Also carry pot noodle type things, tins of spam, lots of tinned mackerel from France I think.
For a quick snack meal you can't beat those little toastie bread things and tinned mackerel, bloody marvellous! :D

dshague

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
20 years
we have tins in our van that have traveled thousands of miles been in and out of the van more times that me ..
we will still be taking them away again this year ,,
peck with tin potato fry up.....(y)

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Whatever`s in the Freezer, plus some Instant Mash, frozen Oven chips or wedges. with a tin of baked beans!! Yummy!

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Caseolet and fillet steak? Not many ex boy scouts on here:)

Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
Usually have tins of haggis, potatoes and peas but also carry spam, tuna, corned beef, tomatoes and always plenty rice and pasta. I also stock up with packet mixes so usually sausage casserole on our trips.

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
Pasta, tin of toms, tin of baked beans and salami. Lovely meal. Ready in 20 mins at the most.

Movinon

Free Member
Feb 1, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Lots
Hamburgers. Beef, lamb, chicken and turkey. I make them at home and store them in the van freezer before every trip. Very space efficient. Add tinned potatoes and frozen peas. Or a tin of vegetable curry. Easy to cook on the gas hob in the van.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Tins found in France and Germany ( not always sure of contents!)
image.jpg

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Tinned spuds (well rinsed) cut into smaller pieces, tin of stewing steak, tin of drained sliced carrots, 'plop' the lot into a large pan with some water (do NOT use the water from the carrots either), heat up, add a bit more water and gravy grans if needed and serve, ideally with crusty bread smothered in butter ... mmmmmmmm.

Frikadellens or frankfurters with cous cous and sweetcorn or peas, if you want a sauce with it, a cup-a-soup is good poured on top.

Packet of pasta in sauce, slice up some frankfurters and mix in, then serve with lots of cheese on top ... and crusty bread of course!

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
We take a load of tins and usually bring them back too. That Paella illustrated above is fine once you remove the lumps of pork fat and the chicken bones, however doing that probably takes nearly as long as making paella from scratch.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Tinned Cassoulet with Confit Duck from Carrefour (I think)

We bought a couple of tins last year as an emergency back up and broke one last week in Belgium. It was bloody handsome. If it was put in front of me in a restaurant I would happily pay for it.

We just need to go back to France to replace the tin we've eaten.

Jul 29, 2014
Norfolk and Correze, France
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Had one for 5 years many moons ago. Now starting again.
@Fenman have looked at cassoulet but when you see it in jars looks like a lot of fat?
Always have a couple of supermarket's own cans. A better version of baked beans and sausages!!
Never had a lot of fat but I agree the ones in jars do look a bit iffy.

May 3, 2008
North Wales
Funster No
MH
A class Carthago Chic I47
Exp
34 years
Emergency box of boil in the bag lamb shanks in gravy from Costco these keep unrefrigerated for about three months, with boiled potatoes and tinned garden peas, lovely.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
For years, when we were even harder up than now, (pause for sounds of sympathy from members), we always had Cornish pastie and beans for our first evening meal on site.

Now, 25 yeas later, if we take the grandchildren, we have to have the same as it is "a tradition".

When just the two of us go away we eat a more sophisticated meal. I.e. M&S meal for two with wine.:)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
@Fenman have looked at cassoulet but when you see it in jars looks like a lot of fat?

The tin we opened didn't look great to start with. Half an hour in the oven soon sorted that out though (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back