LPG Filling Restriction for Gaslow Bottles (1 Viewer)

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
We often refill our under-slung fixed lpg tank at the Calor Service Center in Norwich .... for the first time this morning, as I parked by the pump, the attendant came rushing out to check what tank we have fitted, saying that they will not allow filling of Gaslow or similar type installations.

I just wonder how long it will be before lpg becomes difficult to obtain for motorhomes with Morrisons banning at many sites and BP appear to be totally dropping the sale at many of their forecourts.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
The latest service station on the M25 to open has decided to sell it, so I don't suspect that all petrol companies are planning to withdraw it.
Its readily available everywhere I've been in Europe, so I'm not overly worried.

Apr 15, 2015
Whitchurch, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E-Line 50
Exp
Since May 2011
If you're a European tourer, fill up over there. It's cheaper and more readily available.

Mike

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
It's fairly common occurrence..

Gaslow and Calor are direct competitors so Calor obviously don't want anyone to use refillables. They're well known for these little strops and refusing to fill them. They're under no obligation to fill them so it's up to them. If they don't want the business go somewhere that does.

I don't think any of the petrol stations are ripping out their LPG pumps across the board. It's done on a location by location business. If site A sells loads of LPG then their pump stays. If pump B hardly sells any but there are always queues for diesel then rip the LPG pump out of that one and add another diesel space.

OP
OP
icantremember

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Why not complain to Gaslow and let them have a word with the Calor centre.
Not my problem, the guy was quite happy for me to fill my fixed tank once he realised I didn't have Gaslow type system.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I've found a place in notloB that the private hire lads use, 42p a litre ar the moment (y)

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
shell stations are getting rid of the lpg pumps due to a contractual issue as I understand it

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Some truck stop filling stations have LPG pumps for wagon fridge containers that run on LPG.

Movinon

Free Member
Feb 1, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Lots
I must say it's not a problem where I live. The local Calor gas people seem happy to fill my Gaslow system.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Can you provide more info?
Just been looking for the news article I read it from but cant currently seem to find it. But basically shell sold their LPG business to UGI a while back and there is some contractual issue with them having LPG pumps on their fuel stations

Jun 6, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
Oh well looks like I'll have to find another station, they were my closest but I'll find another :)

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
We often refill our under-slung fixed lpg tank at the Calor Service Center in Norwich .... for the first time this morning, as I parked by the pump, the attendant came rushing out to check what tank we have fitted, saying that they will not allow filling of Gaslow or similar type installations.

I just wonder how long it will be before lpg becomes difficult to obtain for motorhomes with Morrisons banning at many sites and BP appear to be totally dropping the sale at many of their forecourts.

Did you ask the Calor attendant why they won't fill Gaslow or similar bottles?

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
The latest service station on the M25 to open has decided to sell it, so I don't suspect that all petrol companies are planning to withdraw it.
Its readily available everywhere I've been in Europe, so I'm not overly worried.
Is that Cobham Services?

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Just been looking for the news article I read it from but cant currently seem to find it. But basically shell sold their LPG business to UGI a while back and there is some contractual issue with them having LPG pumps on their fuel stations

That doesn't sound quite right.

Shell's LPG business is Autogas UK which is a joint venture between them and Calor so it isn't Shell's to sell.

Broken Link Removed

OP
OP
icantremember

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Did you ask the Calor attendant why they won't fill Gaslow or similar bottles?
Yes I did and he reckons it's because there is no accepted annual testing procedure, which of course I don't think there is for any m/h lpg storage systems.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
When on the A11 weekend the BP garage was 63p a litre for lpg , nothing near us with easy access . Different if you're in an area with lpg garages.

Al-Di

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 15, 2014
prestwich
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil A Class
Exp
since 2013
Autogas are adding new sites all the time, and not just at shell garages, new 1 at carlisle is esso j41

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
These sites / companies may have problems with installation safety certification.
Many of these systems are diy installs, which may ring alarm bells with the gas Co's?
On the other hand it could simply be bloody mindedness?

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Yes I did and he reckons it's because there is no accepted annual testing procedure, which of course I don't think there is for any m/h lpg storage systems.
Is there a testing procedure for cars using LPG then?

Deleted User
Never had a refillable system but if there is an external fill point how would the operator know whether it led to a fixed tank or bottles.

Could the problem be the lack of an external fill point?

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Calor in Carlisle refused to fill my Gaslow bottles a while back, bloke was quite stroppy about it, their loss as I get it from a local welding supply shop now and ditched my workshop calor propane bottles for Shell gas ones.

OP
OP
icantremember

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Never had a refillable system but if there is an external fill point how would the operator know whether it led to a fixed tank or bottles.

Could the problem be the lack of an external fill point?

I had no problem as I have a fixed tank with external fill point and the guy was quite happy.

The attendant came out and asked a direct question to which I would not have lied if I did have bottles!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back