kip

Free Member
Apr 26, 2015
Bulphan
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Got up this morning raring to go.!!Preparing the van for a trip up to kingsbury (NEC) when key snapped inside locker barrell.:oops:Just wondered if there might be a key supplier & cutter at the show???..We have a bessie E760.We can get most things from inside the van,but need access to gas locker & tiolet.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
If it's a Zadi Vecam almost certainly not.

You will have a 4 digit code somewhere for your key and will need to use this code to order a new one through a dealer. There are several hundred different ones so it's highly unlikely anyone will have spares for them on a stand.

If you can get the snapped bit out of the lock and have a spare to use then I would do that. If not you could try a Timsons or somewhere like that but I have a feeling that the blank is a non standard one that they don't carry.

Karen at Highbridge Caravans got me a replacement, ordered at 4pm, delivered from France the next morning, but she will need the key number. It only cost about £7.

Reactions: kip
OP
OP
kip

kip

Free Member
Apr 26, 2015
Bulphan
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
The key broke in half so I have the 4 digits, there's no way I can get the other half out of the barrel I will try Karen at Highbridge, looks like we'll have to give NEC a miss:unsure: oh well never mind. Thanks for your reply.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
The key broke in half so I have the 4 digits, there's no way I can get the other half out of the barrel I will try Karen at Highbridge, looks like we'll have to give NEC a miss:unsure: oh well never mind. Thanks for your reply.

You might have to drill the barrel out and replace it as well then

There is a barrel removal tool you can use which makes the job a 30 second one but it relies on the lock being unlocked and nothing in the keyway.

Nov 21, 2011
Rugeley
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savanah
Exp
Since 2009
Would have thought any decent Caravan/Motorhome business in the area should be able to do the same as highbridge caravans, might be worth looking in the Yellow pages or Internet to find one locally and see what they can do. Just a thought.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Would have thought any decent Caravan/Motorhome business in the area should be able to do the same as highbridge caravans, might be worth looking in the Yellow pages or Internet to find one locally and see what they can do. Just a thought.

Any of them probably could or you could probably order direct from Zadi yourself. I only mentioned Highbridge because they sorted me out quickly with no fuss. They placed the order, the package was delivered directly to me, from France, the next morning.

You'd be very lucky to find someone who just happened to have a spare on the shelf though. There are something like 3-400 different key codes in use at present so it's far too many for anyone other than Zadi to carry them all in stock.

OP
OP
kip

kip

Free Member
Apr 26, 2015
Bulphan
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Apologies for the late reply, went to the NEC after all & just got back.Made some enquiries & found out that cranham's of Upminster( 10 mins away)can order my new key's & barrel .Thanking all for their replies.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
removing the broken key is fairly straightforward as a task. a thin bit of stiff wire with a small bend on the end forming a tiny hook.
slide the wire into the top of the keyhole. when it touches the key lower the end of the wire in your hand as you push it forwards. you will feel the spings resisting, but push in a few mm. raise the wire back up and pull steadily outwards
takes longer to explain than to do but a locksmith will charge a large fee for the knowledge

OP
OP
kip

kip

Free Member
Apr 26, 2015
Bulphan
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm going to have a go at that !! Thank you.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back