LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
Got an email this morning, this site is coming up for sale. We have stayed there a couple of times and it's in a good location. Would needed a bit of money spent on it, wish I was younger, I would have ap punt.
Netherwood House for Sale
Broken Link Removed
Netherwood House for Sale
After 49 years our lovely 'gem of a site' Netherwood has had to close. It has been a wonderful era and we've enjoyed welcoming you to our home

Quiet and rural, close to Chester & North Wales, with the Shropshire Union canal to walk into the City, it was the perfect spot!

Sadly we've had to take the hard decision to sell the house and grounds. As some of you had expressed an interest we wanted to drop you this note to let you know we plan to put the property on the market shortly. If you would like to know more please email:netherwood.chester@btinternet.com

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Just had a look at the site, very nice, just not in the right bit of the country for me.

That has to be £1.25M plus I would have thought.

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
From there website

“After 49 years we regret to announce that Netherwood Touring Site has now closed.
Thanks to all our visitors, and most especially our lovely regulars.
Many happy memories”

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
golly

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
If memory serves me well the pitches had gravel under the grass, facilities needed upgrading though.

Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
We had an email also, was thinking of using as a stop over this year. I liked the site and direct access to canal walk and Chester.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
I like those old houses with high ceilings and big windows with low cill height.

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
A local (to me) site owner said that the were seriously thinking of closing and just use the site for storage. They said it would be far less hassle and about the same income.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Be interesting to look at the accounts I bet its a lot of work for a poor return
Man after my own heart, I tried to find them, but it would seem they aren't a limited company, so I couldn't get them! :-(

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Be interesting to look at the accounts I bet its a lot of work for a poor return

Man after my own heart, I tried to find them, but it would seem they aren't a limited company, so I couldn't get them! :-(

Almost certainly. Do some basic maths.

Someone mentioned £20.50 per night and UK campsite says it had 15 pitches. It obviously won't be full up all the time.

Just as an example say 10 of the pitches are occupied 5 nights per week for 9 months of the year, which I think would probably be optimistic. That would give a revenue of just under £40k.

Take your running and maintenance costs out of that and pay Her Majesty's share and what you'd be left with would hardly be worth the bother even assuming you were doing everything yourself and not employing anyone.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Take your running and maintenance costs out of that and pay Her Majesty's share and what you'd be left with would hardly be worth the bother even assuming you were doing everything yourself and not employing anyone.
Indeed, I had also done that, however, looking with a glass half full approach, there are some very simple tweaks that would make a substantial return.
I wonder if anyone else has looked at it that way. Look at the site, then look at the house, there are opportunities there, although they do need initial financial outlay.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Indeed, I had also done that, however, looking with a glass half full approach, there are some very simple tweaks that would make a substantial return.
I wonder if anyone else has looked at it that way. Look at the site, then look at the house, there are opportunities there, although they do need initial financial outlay.

Yes, more than likely. You would need more than just the site though.

I'm not familiar with either the site or the house. If the site is in the right sort of location that would attract someone to run it for you in exchange for a pitch freeing you up to do something else that would help.

The house looks a fair size. If it could be adapted to take paying guests or maybe converted into a pub or restaurant without too many planning or financial issues that would also help.

It's all a question of whether the initial cost of the site plus the further outlay to make the changes would make it viable.

It would be a big punt for someone to take it as a going concern.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Yup @NickNic that is exactly what I was thinking, also, who owns that land immediately adjacent to it, that would double the touring site size.
Convert the house to be living accommodation on the first floor, for the owners, bar and restaurant on the ground floor. There seems to be a large out building, which I assume currently houses the toilet facilities, extend and improve that. A small shop would be handy, all of these things would bring in lots of extra revenue, but also need outlay to implement.
There are a few more things I would do if I had a spare million quid, but I don't so just casting a pipe dream at it. I will check my lottery numbers again next week :D

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
It's going to need a big investment though.

Looking at the area on Rightmove the house and site is going to be well over £1million, probably near 1.5.

To do the things mentioned on this thread you're going to be looking at another £300-500,000 so you would need to be budgeting for £2million minimum, more if you want to buy the adjoining land to extend the touring site.

You wouldn't be getting that back very quickly so you would have to be in it for the long haul.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
The way I see it is anyone with £2000,000 to spend would hardly be buying a load of work with it. Then have to be at the beck and call of the general public, and to top it off, have them pitch up in your front garden. It would be too much of a temptation to set the dogs on the scoundrels. For this reason am out :LOL:.

Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
Seem to remember a few hotels and possibly a carvery quite near, daughter got up one morning at 7 to walk 5 minutes along canal for a full English breakfast.:)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
@DanielFord if you look on Google satellite view it looks to me like the land immediately to the left of where the touring pitches are is part of the site. If that's the case you could double the size of the touring site at minimal cost.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
@DanielFord if you look on Google satellite view it looks to me like the land immediately to the left of where the touring pitches are is part of the site. If that's the case you could double the size of the touring site at minimal cost.
That's what I thought (y)
Makes it a more interesting proposition, but as you say, need a couple of million to get it going. I've looked behind the sofa, and found 5p and a couple of dog biscuits, so no joy there! :D

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Unless you can build houses on the land or if you wanted to live there, you would be pouring money down the sink.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back