Free Member
Sep 29, 2007
Rhondda Valleys, S Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Year 3 of ownership !
Read some of the threads but theyre all about proper A frames.

I was thinking of buying a cheap a frame that fits over the front axle.

My dilemma is my wifes car is a Kia Picanto 1000cc, and want to tow it ONCE A YEAR down to Cornwall from Wales. 225 miles there and 225 miles back only !

Are they really that bad ?

P.S Dont want to open a can of worms just genuine replies

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Read some of the threads but theyre all about proper A frames.

I was thinking of buying a cheap a frame that fits over the front axle.

My dilemma is my wifes car is a Kia Picanto 1000cc, and want to tow it ONCE A YEAR down to Cornwall from Wales. 225 miles there and 225 miles back only !

Are they really that bad ?

P.S Dont want to open a can of worms just genuine replies

just three words mark.......THEY AINT LEGAL!!!

this type of frame is for recovery (broken down vehicle) only and then for local recovery to a place of safety only.

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi

pappa is correct, at one time I planned to tow a 2CV with an A frame but could only find one that strapped onto the suspension.
I emailed the maker for legal clarification and never got a reply .. so I sold the 2CV rather than risk being charged or worse, having an accident.

jim

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
all that as been said is correct. i have an intertrade onr here chains to underneath pads on bumper. tows lovelly behind a vw camper used it for best part of 25years for recovery .no brake fitted as used for recovery .works fine .not for sale but still in use. towed thousands of miles here and abroad of course only on recovery. cheers alan.

Upvote 0

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
If its just once a year hire a trailer from a plant hire company. Our local guys charge about £ 60.00 :thumb:

Upvote 0

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
just a thought guys, how about a quad bike with front wheels on an ambulance well under the weight requiring brakes and reversible as well.

Upvote 0

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
not legal as if a trailer as brakes they must work. i have a harvey frost ambulance here there is some stupid speed limit now and they can only be used for recovery. easier to put a braked hitch on a cheap a frame then run your own bowden cable to pull on the pedal. use a light board ,hey presto fixed. cheers alan . its not hard to fabricate an a frame that straps on to wishbones or bolts on to car. the cost is the braked hitch.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
not legal as if a trailer as brakes they must work. i have a harvey frost ambulance here there is some stupid speed limit now and they can only be used for recovery. easier to put a braked hitch on a cheap a frame then run your own bowden cable to pull on the pedal. use a light board ,hey presto fixed. cheers alan . its not hard to fabricate an a frame that straps on to wishbones or bolts on to car. the cost is the braked hitch.

hi alan,

you probably know this already but the ambulance has a pivot (usually above the axle) for the car wheel plate and a pivot point around the tow hitch so in effect it has two pivot points.
this makes it a locomotive and the speed is restricted to 20mph and i think motorways are a no-no as you should be able to maintain a speed of 50mph minimum on a motorway. dont know if thats a legal requirement or just an accepted minimum.

lost count of the times i've mentioned the "if it has brakes, they must work" bit.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi john ,mine is a hoist type on 2 wheels ,but its only for recovery .i can tow two trailers with my mitzy as its classed as a motor tractor. there is rules on the d.f.t. site .if i was op. i would do like i said make aframe + bowden cable use ratchet strapsto tie it on .i used a tow pole today with ratchet strap in similer idea. intertrade yet again,i did have a garage got heaps of kit here sitting . cheers alan. you going malvern this week end?

Upvote 0

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
c u there.hope to be up end of week havnt booked .hope theres room. probly be stuffed in a corner some where . have fun ,alan.

Upvote 0

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
I used to have a tilt and slide recovery vehicle with spectacle frame on rear.

Should have just stuck a caravan on the back (got me RV) and car on the spectacle:winky::roflmto::roflmto::roflmto:

17 mpg then as well

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
c u there.hope to be up end of week havnt booked .hope theres room. probly be stuffed in a corner some where . have fun ,alan.

I am booked but might not be able to make it as firm doing my bus are dragging their heals:Doh::cry:

Upvote 0

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
if you tow anything there is rules. . yes you can tow a quad . be better on a trailer as tyres will soon wear out. if you want to tow a car you know what to do . i also have a bike frame for towing bikes n trikes. . also a spec frame for bikes ,all have good n bad points . i now prefer to put a dax in the garage out of sight out of mind.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back