LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
I do not have access to a garden hose, which means also no Pressure Washer either. I am not adverse to using a bucket and sponge, but after weekend on the New Forest, the MH is filthy with caked on mud and dirt. I do have access to the jet wash at work and have been using this, but unsure if this should be continued or stopped. - Not only that it is very expensive if the Mh is particularly dirty.
So my question is very simple, how do you wash a MH without a hose? I am off to the NEC on Fri and will be tempted with all the cleaning gadgets around and as I am weak, I can easily fall into the "buy this - All your washing worries will be gone" cons. Help and guidance needed please

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I find the Eastern Europeans in Tesco car park have access to hoses and pressure washers and all sorts of other car cleaning kit so I usually just let them get on with it (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
I'd continue with the work pressure washer... Just don't get too close with it .... Bit of common sence is all that's required..(y)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I find the Eastern Europeans in Tesco car park have access to hoses and pressure washers and all sorts of other car cleaning kit so I usually just let them get on with it (y)
The ones in our Sainsbury carpark have carts with buckets and sponges......
How many cars worth of shit and grit are in the water when they get to wash scratch your car because they certainly dont throw away the water after each car.
I wouldnt let them near my car if they did it free and paid me.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
How many cars worth of shit and grit are in the water when they get to wash scratch your car because they certainly dont throw away the water after each car.

I get my wife to get mine done every time she goes to Sainsburys.

They seem to do a decent enough job.

Ours appear to be African rather than East European though.

Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
No access to a hose....how do you fill the tank ?

Er - from a tap which doesn't have a hose connected to it. Same as you would fill any kettle, jug, bucket, watering can or other fillable container. You don't have to use a hose.

The 12v pressure washer sellers always use a hosepipe ban as an advertising ploy as you don't need a hosepipe to use/fill them and some of them have a filter in so you can fill from water sources by dunking the tank.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I do not have access to a garden hose, which means also no Pressure Washer either. I am not adverse to using a bucket and sponge, but after weekend on the New Forest, the MH is filthy with caked on mud and dirt. I do have access to the jet wash at work and have been using this, but unsure if this should be continued or stopped. - Not only that it is very expensive if the Mh is particularly dirty.
So my question is very simple, how do you wash a MH without a hose? I am off to the NEC on Fri and will be tempted with all the cleaning gadgets around and as I am weak, I can easily fall into the "buy this - All your washing worries will be gone" cons. Help and guidance needed please
A pressure washer will happily draw water from a bucket ................

OP
OP
Zigisla

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
The jet wash at work is the type you get in a petrol station. Big silver box with lance and foam brush. I have just spent £6:00 and frequently do when returning so it is getting expensive just to just get the dirt off and no wax finish cos I run out of change. I do have a cylinder pump as above - forgot about that til I saw the ad. I think if I get that out for now I will fill it up at home, then take to work where mh is stored and use over car wash pit. Then look into 12v systems.
If I may add to my question, which is the best fluid / shampoo and wax to spray with please? I may well order the brush as advertised in another thread about a new brush required and I will look out for some bargains at the show, but knowing me; as a salesmans dream, I can be conned into buying anything if I'm not careful / correctly advised by you guys (y):rolleyes:

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User

The one's I use are a proper operation - hoses, Kaercher jet washes, proper vacuum cleaners. They do my cars inside and out and make a cracking job of it.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I haven't cleaned my own cars for years and I see no reason to start now. The only reason I haven't let the Eastern Europeans do the motorhome yet is because I'm not 100% confident what will happen if they aim a jet wash at the window seals. It gets a quick once over with a hose pipe when it's getting really bad and that's it.

I can think of nothing worse than choosing to spend one second longer than absolutely necessary washing it.

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
Obviously Zigisla has not read any posts in the detailing and valeting section. If you have to use the works pressure washer make sure that you keep the nozzle as far away from the surface of your van as possible, never stop in one place, keep it moving, if the fan is adjustable put in on wide setting, keep water away from seams and fridge vents. In my opinion your best course wold be the 12 volt washers with tank as taking your van to the supermarket is asking for trouble. I have seen some awful results of using these guys, such as graphics ruined, fridges full of water etc. They may know what they are doing with cars but motor homes are completely different.

OP
OP
Zigisla

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
I would rather pick my nose with a knife than clean a filthy van without the right kit.
In short just leave it dirty till you can get near proper kit.
That is the snag. The right kit involves a hose. I need an alternative to a hose fed procedure or the jet wash.

OP
OP
Zigisla

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Obviously Zigisla has not read any posts in the detailing and valeting section. If you have to use the works pressure washer make sure that you keep the nozzle as far away from the surface of your van as possible, never stop in one place, keep it moving, if the fan is adjustable put in on wide setting, keep water away from seams and fridge vents. In my opinion your best course wold be the 12 volt washers with tank as taking your van to the supermarket is asking for trouble. I have seen some awful results of using these guys, such as graphics ruined, fridges full of water etc. They may know what they are doing with cars but motor homes are completely different.
I have read all the threads on washing using a pressure washer I don't have access to a pressure washer the "works pressure washer" is a car jet wash system not a hose fed pressure washer

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I would use the work pressure washer if it is particularly mucky and gritty, but I would just try to swill the heavy soiling off and then bucket and brush, or bucket and lambs wool cleaning mit at home is the van isn't too big.

I do second the take care with the pressure washer comments though.

I know there is a proper way to clean/valet/detail a car or motorhome but some people just want a reasonable and practical solution, we aren't all driving show vehicles but we do want a clean vehicle.

Martin

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
I think this guy owns a caravan so he shuld know what he is doing, although I do disagree with using sealants.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
If it's your works washer and your not under any time restraint why not take your buckets there .. rinse it .. .. wash using a sponge .. rinse it. Then move it off the wash point and use some nice microfiber cloths to dry it and finally either polish and wax .. or just wax if appropriate.
I personally wouldnt use the brush or the "polish" in a pressure washer like that.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I think this guy owns a caravan so he shuld know what he is doing, although I do disagree with using sealants.

Yes, I'm not having the sealant just the inside and out valet£125, seems good value to me not to have to do it yourself.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
I haven't cleaned my own cars for years and I see no reason to start now. The only reason I haven't let the Eastern Europeans do the motorhome yet is because I'm not 100% confident what will happen if they aim a jet wash at the window seals. It gets a quick once over with a hose pipe when it's getting really bad and that's it.

I can think of nothing worse than choosing to spend one second longer than absolutely necessary washing it.
So why waste even more of your time posting on threads like this ? You obviously don't care about the outside of your van and hate washing so what is the point ? Is it perhaps to impress us with your don't care attitude ?

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
So why waste even more of your time posting on threads like this ? You obviously don't care about the outside of your van and hate washing so what is the point ? Is it perhaps to impress us with your don't care attitude ?

Who said I don't care about the outside of my van, or any other vehicle, I merely said I won't waste my own time washing them. Anyway why on earth would I want to impress someone who treats cleaning vehicles as a hobby? :confused:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Who said I don't care about the outside of my van, or any other vehicle, I merely said I won't waste my own time washing them. Anyway why on earth would I want to impress someone who treats cleaning vehicles as a hobby? :confused:
That's the reason I think my valet man is a bargain if he's as good as it says in his webpage as it will be the first time the van has been cleaned properly in the four years we have had it,apart from having an hose pointed at it now and again, £30 a year can't be bad(y):)

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie

Your posts say you have no interest in cleaning you van yourself and hate doing it.. Not really hard to draw a conclusion is it.

And it's not a hobby. I just try to help where I can..

Seriously thought when I said above I give in I meant it. There is no point in trying to help here that much is obvious so I will not post on these posts or other detailing matters in the future...

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
Charlie you have to remember
There's none so blind as them that won't see

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
I like a clean looking van tbh
It's not always my favourite chore but I do clean and wax it when required.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back