1001 questions! (1 Viewer)

JumboBeef

Free Member
Jul 27, 2009
Funster No
Hello all!

New here, and I'm after some advice.......

We are looking for a motorhome, and I have some questions. Firstly, a few facts: there are just the two of us (in our early 40's) plus our three large dogs (Airedale Terriers). The max size of MH we could have is around 20' long (ish), due to a tight turn off our lane onto our driveway (we live very rural). We would want to use it all year around, for short breaks (from long days out to a couple of nights away). We have around £15,000 to £20,000 to spend (I don't really want to go over the £20,000 mark).

We like the look of coachbuilt MHs and five berth ones seem to be about right: at night, the two of us over the cab, and the three dogs on the other seats. I *think* a mid kitchen would be best but I would like to hear from others what they think.

I would like an awing and safari room (space for the dogs during the day/evening) ~ any problems with these I should know about?

I have read a lot about judder problems on newer Fiats (?): which models does this affect please.

Is it hard to winterise a MH, and do any/most have electric as well as gas blown heating? We would like to use it all year around: any problems/issues with using a MH in the depths of winter?

We intend to buy in a couple of months, after peak summer (once the days cool down:ROFLMAO: and hopefully when prices drop a bit).

I would like a MH with the door on the nearside: I don't want to be getting the dogs out on the 'live' side if we stop on a road.

We have never had a MH before, but had a caravan last year for a few months. Caravaning is not for us, but we loved the freedom it brought and can see that a MH is just what we need.

Have I missed anything?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Hi,

You will not get an X250 cab for £20,000.

All MH's have mains electric hook up so you can have mains heating on site.

All english conversions have the habitation door on the nearside.

Awnings and privacy rooms are fine.

If you are near us, Andy full times in his so he can advise you even better.

Peter

Upvote 0

david price

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Bridgenorth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
5 years
Hi and welcome to fun.
Firstly there are that many layouts that you really need to go round dealers,shows etc to find out what you like and then sit in it for quite awhile to get a feel of how it is.Most dealers will not mind.
The judder only affects the later model fiat and puegot Late 2006 and onwards (new shape) which i doubt you will get with your budget.
Hymer are good models and winterised but i am sure you will struggle to find one with hab door on nearside.
Also checkout adds in mmm and practical motorhome mags.
Check it has suitable payload for your needs.
Lots of bargains out there at present but dont rush into it.Whichever vehicle you choose you will probably have to make a compromise.
Overcab beds are great for kids but i think the novelty would wear off for you after a short while (we are mid forties).
Look at an ace firenze,big rear lounge which you could leave made up as a big double bed,not fully winterised but has inboard freshwater tank and good heating system.
Dave

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
JumboBeef

JumboBeef

Free Member
Jul 27, 2009
Funster No
Thanks for the replies.

I hear what you are saying about the bed over the cab but the plan is to get away from the dogs at night!

It seems all coachbuilt MHs are Fiat or Peugeot, I almost never see Fords or Mercs.

What is the speed limit for a MH? Are they classed as a van, and so 50 on single and 60 on duel carriageway?

Anyone else here currently own a 20' (ish) MH in this sort of price range, and what do they think of it?

Thanks.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
hi jumbobeef and welcome.

the majority of m/h's do seem to be fiat/peugeot based but there are plenty of ford, merc, renault and VW out there.

speed limits.
if it states "motorcaravan" on the logbook, which it should, its the same as a car....60 on A roads and 70 on dual/motorway and you can use the outside lane on motorways.
if for some reason it states "goods vehicle", which it shouldnt then its 50, 60 and 70
and just when did whitevan man start taking notice of the speed limit:winky:::bigsmile:

same restrictions apply if you are towing though....50 and 60mph

have a look at this website......Speed limits

Last edited:
Upvote 0

twooks

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
not strictly true on speed limits.
speed limit is governed by weight of the vehicle, not by what it may or may not say on the VED, although it must be classified as a motorcaravan in order to qualify for the speed limit classification of private cars.

"In the UK motorhomes are subject to the same speed limits as private cars, unless they exceed 3050kg unladen weight, or they are classed as 'living vans' which are subject to goods vehicle speed limits:"

have a look at this - it may help you with a lot of other questions
UKMotorhomes.net - FAQs

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi JB, lay out is your prime concern :thumb: We use ours all year round -- not so much in summer-- and my tanks are slung underneath, with out problems in the UK winters
As already said climbing up and down in the luton is fine for kids (big adventure) but you will soon get fed up with that idea. Need the loo in the middle of the night ??? too much to drink ?fall out of bed by missing ladder ?Ladder hurts bare feet ?Sat at a dining table is fine while eating but bloody uncomfortable for feet up lounging/watching tv / reading etc,
Look at lots,try making up the bed etc, and think about YOU being comfy --all comes back to layout :thumb:
Treat the dogs as dogs :ROFLMAO: do not let them up on the furniture but put them beds on the floor ::bigsmile:Our dog is allowed on the foot of the bed at home but not on any other furniture, when it is bed time one word and out he goes onto his bed on the landing. In the van he would not dare to try and get up on any seat :Eeek: one fixed STARE from the boss sees to that :ROFLMAO: Works on me as well :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: LAY OUT,LAY OUT:thumb: Need I say more.
Awnings are great if staying in one place but a pain if you need to move often,so a drive away one may be your answer.
Make your choice for yourself s and the dogs will fit in where they like or you allow them :thumb:
terry

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Scunny-Arfie

Free Member
Sep 21, 2008
Scunthorpe
Funster No
Hello, i may have 1 in your price range as we are thinking of changing to a fixed bed 2 berth, we've only had this m/h 3 months it on a 02 reg plate.
PM me if you want to know more.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
JumboBeef

JumboBeef

Free Member
Jul 27, 2009
Funster No
Thanks for the replies.

Scunny-Arfie, I might be interested, but I'm not looking to buy for a couple of months yet.

I'm in Cumbria btw.

Re dogs on sofas. I agree, our three never get up on sofas or beds at home but if they all stayed on the floor in a MH, we'd have to walk on the ceiling!

Here's one of them, Harry is his name:

Link Removed

Upvote 0

Scunny-Arfie

Free Member
Sep 21, 2008
Scunthorpe
Funster No
there is a drive away awning with it only used once (for the dogs), a few months will suit us fine then start looking for anothers one in the winter months.

Lovely pic of the dog, we had to have Billy our corgi/alsation cross put to sleep yesterday, miss him like hell.

Upvote 0

solitaire woman

Free Member
Apr 27, 2008
Funster No
I have a 2002 5 berth Hymer 544k for sale, not in a rush to sell. Sounds like something you could be interested in, can let you have info if you think it may be suitable. Have unused safari room with it.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
JumboBeef

JumboBeef

Free Member
Jul 27, 2009
Funster No
I have a 2002 5 berth Hymer 544k for sale, not in a rush to sell. Sounds like something you could be interested in, can let you have info if you think it may be suitable. Have unused safari room with it.

Hi,

Thanks for that, I will consider it when I am looking to buy (in a couple of months) if you still have it then.

I had more questions, but I've forgetten what I was going to ask! :ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Hi we travel with two large dogs. they are teathered to the floor behind the front seats, clear of the side door, clear of the loo, kitchen and rear ushaped lounge (Which we keep made up as a double bed) We have no problem with floorspace and they are happy. During the day they are tethered out side when not away for a walk. Dogs will soon ruin your upholstery. They don't do it at home so why bother in the van. Our beast is Merc based with plenty of room for all of us at 21ft. It may well be for sale at the end of the season if you have not found what you are looking for. why not hire a van and Join us for the Shepton Mallet Show in Sept. Hundreds of vans will be for sale there so plenty to look at and find the right one.

Link Removed

Upvote 0
OP
OP
JumboBeef

JumboBeef

Free Member
Jul 27, 2009
Funster No
I had more questions, but I've forgetten what I was going to ask! :ROFLMAO:

I've remembered one of the questions: I would like blown electric (and gas) heating. Would a MH in my price range have this? Is it quiet (on electric) so you could have it on overnight?

Thanks.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I've remembered one of the questions: I would like blown electric (and gas) heating. Would a MH in my price range have this? Is it quiet (on electric) so you could have it on overnight?

Thanks.

i reckon the majority have blown air heating......some vans only having it....no gas/electric convection heater, just blown air.

prefer convection myself.

Upvote 0

barbt

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
KENT
Funster No
Exp
two
1001 questions

We have an Autocruise Valentine - the door is on the back - it's brilliant, the dog can run in and out - we have a long tether attached to the back step. We have only had it for a year, and like you have a problem parking as we too are very rural. Also we like to go to very quiet places - down narrow lanes etc, so length was a seriously priority for us. We found our 4 berth ( two over the cab and a double bed from the two sofa's, kitchen, loo and shower etc, blown air heating, full size oven and hob and all for only 16 and a half feet long - with the door on the back it saves quite a lot of space. We have plenty of room for ourselves and frequently two grandchildren plus the dog.
Have a look at Marquis motorhomes, they have showrooms at various places around the country. They are genuinly thoughtful and helpful and their after sales service is brilliant. We paid £20,000 for ours and have used it almost every weekend, even through the winter !
Barbara

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back