LIFE MEMBER
Mar 15, 2014
prestwich
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil A Class
Exp
since 2013
asked @Minxy Girl about using a 3 data sim in my Phablet, and wether this would work as a MIFI,

got some good advice, so off to the 3 shop today armed with said Phablet,

Me. can you help i would like to put a data sim in this Phablet,

idiot, sorry you cant do that, only a phone sim,

Me, ok but can i use this as a Mifi, if i put data card in,

idiot, sir its not Mifi its Wifi it mean you can connect wirelessly

Me, called him an Idiot and walk out,

right you clever people can I do this,

and please keep it simple's as I;m stupid with this stuff,:)

think I'll get a laptop,(n)

Reactions: DBK
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Alan can you set your tablet thingie as a hot spot?

we did same as Martin took Bevs iPad with 3 data only sim to France and used it as a hotspot, which I reckon is he same as a mifi, we also have an actual mifi, also with a 3 data only sim in, that took me till the day before we came home to get working

don't feel I may have helped you much, go and buy an ipad (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Al-Di

Al-Di

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 15, 2014
prestwich
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil A Class
Exp
since 2013
maybe going about this wrong,

I have an antique phone calls/text only

I got the phablet to try and have some internet mobilty,
I can use it no problem if i can access a wifi point,
its for the times i can't access wifi,
alll i seem to read about is using a Mifi and connecting to it(5+ items)
my idea was to put the data sim in phablet and bypass using a mifi (extra cost) but would I still need to connect to it????????(phablet)

bottom line is using what ive got,

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
what have you actually got Alan, what is the phablet?

in theory if it will take a data sim it will work whenever you cant get access to wifi

and possibly you can 'share' the data access with others if it has a hot spot option

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
You definitely can get a data only sim the idiot obviously didn't know his stuff.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
asked @Minxy Girl about using a 3 data sim in my Phablet, and wether this would work as a MIFI,

got some good advice, so off to the 3 shop today armed with said Phablet,

Me. can you help i would like to put a data sim in this Phablet,

idiot, sorry you cant do that, only a phone sim,

Me, ok but can i use this as a Mifi, if i put data card in,

idiot, sir its not Mifi its Wifi it mean you can connect wirelessly

Me, called him an Idiot and walk out,

right you clever people can I do this,

and please keep it simple's as I;m stupid with this stuff,:)

think I'll get a laptop,(n)

YOU say you are simple ...... flippin' eck ... you lost ME at the end of your first sentence ..... you are a BRAINBOX.

Zilevets

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 19, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B704 A Class P/Line
Exp
You say you have tablet would it not be cheaper just to buy a mifi device to connect to your tablet.

I'm trying to understand what you need, my iPad hasn't got a sim included so I use a separate mifi that I can use when out in car or van.

Have you looked on Motorhome wife site that might give you an idea what you need.

Liz

OP
OP
Al-Di

Al-Di

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 15, 2014
prestwich
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil A Class
Exp
since 2013
@Hyacinth 1 yes i can buy a mifi, and a 3 feel at home sim but I'm tight:):)

I know i will have to go down that road, just looking at options that i can understand,;)

Zilevets

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 19, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
I thought you were from Yorkshire for a minute until I looked where you were from!

Not sure about how to help you then, the only thing I have found is that I've had 3 and trying to top it up a second time from debit card is neigh on impossible that's just what I've found I now use EE or Vodafone but not sure about EE now BT has taken over.

I do have an unlocked Huawii (or however it's pronounce) that I'm not using now if I can find it if you want, I'm at Chester & Peterborough if that helps.

Liz

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
This is the 'conversation' that I had with Al-di:

AL-DI:

"I think i saw a post from you about using a 3 data sim in a phablet,

if so does this replace the use of a mifi?"

ME:
"No it's not a '3' data sim, just a normal phone sim (can't remember which network) so it has minutes, texts and a bit of data on it.

The main reason we have a sim in it is that doing so actually improves the performance of the sat nav app as apparently with it connecting to the phone network as well as the built in gps the signal is better/response quicker ... don't ask me how but apparently it works!

If, however, you had for example a normal '3' phone sim, with data on it you could use that in the phablet with the advantage of being able to use it to phone and text too ... something which is much easier on a big screen!

We've just tried putting a data sim into our phablet and it allowed us to go on the internet without a problem so that works. One benefit of a data sim is that you get a LOT more data for your money than you do with a phone sim so if you ONLY want it for surfing the web etc and not making calls go for a data sim only.

You can't, however, 'officially' use a phone sim in a normal tablet (ie one that is only meant to take a data sim and can't be used as a phone) as some network providers can detect this and cut it off ... I know some people try it but whether they ever have problems I don't know!

So, in brief, the answer as to whether you still need a mifi or not is 'it depends':

Phablets - can use either a phone sim with calls/text/data OR a data sim so no mifi needed

Tablets - those that can take a sim are only able to use the data so only a data sim should be used and no mifi is needed.

Tablets which do NOT take a sim - you need a mifi and you'll then need to connect to the mifi via wifi from the tablet!

Hope that's not too confusing!"​

So, we've found that you CAN use a data sim in a phablet, it just means that you can't make calls (although some do allow you to text!).

Zilevets

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 19, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
@Minxy Girl if you read his post above mine he's too tight to buy one!

I have offered him an unlocked one that I'm not using will see what he wants to do.

Liz

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
From the specs...
Yes you can use a data sim or a normal mobile sim...in fact you can have 2 different ones in that one...dual sim 4g. And yes you can use it as a phone too..with a handsfree set up ear piece or bluetooth headset or just through the speakers on the device...wouldnt recommend holding it up to your head though:LOL:

Whether you can then share that to other devices (known as tethering or hotspot) all depends on the android version and build, it says its android 5.1 so possible. If you go in to settings and look for tethering or mobile hotspot, if there is then yes you can...

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
You've got a tablet, not a phablet, which are a bit smaller and are meant to be used as a phone as well - but you need very big hands!

A Three data sim should work in it, the tablet that is.

Splash out a tenner on, 3 data, sim and see how you get on. :)

Personally, I'd buy a MiFi as it is more flexible but the sim in a tablet will be easier to use.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
You've got a tablet, not a phablet, which are a bit smaller and are meant to be used as a phone as well - but you need very big hands!

A Three data sim should work in it, the tablet that is.

Splash out a tenner on, 3 data, sim and see how you get on. :)

Personally, I'd buy a MiFi as it is more flexible but the sim in a tablet will be easier to use.
What makes you say it's a tablet? It can make and receive phone calls, therefore AFAIK it IS a phablet ... just a big one! :D

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
What makes you say it's a tablet? It can make and receive phone calls, therefore AFAIK it IS a phablet ... just a big one! :D
Good point, it's a Biglet! Needs two hands.

But I'd still call it a tablet as that is what it's best for. :)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Good point, it's a Biglet! Needs two hands.

But I'd still call it a tablet as that is what it's best for. :)
I suppose to differentiate if from the smaller phablets it could be called a 'tablone' or 'thone' ... but then you'd sound like you had a bad lisp!

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
You've had the best advice, buy a data SIM for whatever ( £10 ) and put it in. It looks like it will work.

All Android devices have the ability to act as a hotspot. You activate this and you have effectively a MiFi so another tablet could go on line via your "phablet".

"Phablet" is a weird word, it's phone+tablet, basically a great big phone.

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
You've had the best advice, buy a data SIM for whatever ( £10 ) and put it in. It looks like it will work.

All Android devices have the ability to act as a hotspot. You activate this and you have effectively a MiFi so another tablet could go on line via your "phablet".

"Phablet" is a weird word, it's phone+tablet, basically a great big phone.
Minor correction. Not sll androids can be a hotspot. All depends on the chips used for the mobile and wireless connectivity.
A lot of the cheaper ones cant(or couldnt..lots a good features turning up on them now from china)..but as this one is a dual sim it might just have the right hardware:)

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
Screen size is the main factor(y)
Phablets are generally regarded as screen sizes roughly between 5" and 7" diagonally, above that and its a tablet, below and its a smart phone or plain old phone

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back