Waterless cleaning products for the outside of the van(?) (1 Viewer)

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
I have used Dry Wash. People will tell you it scratches, I had a black Bongo and found it was quite good for a quick polish when on a campsite with a black van, which really looks bad when dirty but great when polished. There was no evidence of scratching, which would have been obvious in the high shine you get. The one issue I had was with it drying in the heat in the spray unit, probably because I should have taken the spray head off and replaced the cap. It is amazing when you apply it to a very dirty panel and it just lifts dirt off the metal and onto the cloth. It has to go somewhere, and you very quickly run out of cloths which then need cleaning.

Proof of the pudding perhaps is that I no longer use it, mostly because I ran out of it and haven't replaced it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mike13

Free Member
Aug 13, 2014
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
I've used Williams, bought off a shopping channel, can't see any scratching and it does seem to offer protection, beads nicely after rain!

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
you very quickly run out of cloths which then need cleaning.
That's a very good point. Make sure you have enough cloths so that you aren't cleaning an area with a cloth that is already full of muck. They are easy enough to wash, though, and not dear these days.

EDIT. I use one pair of cloths on the car but we use three or four pairs on the van as I normally do the roof (one or two pairs depending how dirty it is) and then I do the upper parts of the walls whilst Jill does the lower parts.

Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
I use Showroon Shine but only as a detailing spray. Never use it to clean the dirt off. I guess I'm one of those people that it to others to prove it's properties. I'd rather not try it on my vehicles. It is supposed to contain carnuba wax and is great for a quick polish up. It also doesn't leave white marks on plastic like some waxes. I use Colonite 476s(?) for a more permanent shine.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
You will use several cloths because you are moving the muck around and your cloths become dirty.
No person who has any love and care for their vehicles will go within a mile of these products. You are moving and rubbing the grime around rather than removing it. This will ruin the finish over time. Many cannot recognise what they are doing and will continue to use these products for no other reason they always have . Personally I would throw them in the skip and have a read in the detailing section where advice is available for how to look after your vehicle .

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
We use 'muck-off' and seems to work for us.....
Muck off = expensive TFR
and if you want to know about TFR have a look in the detailing section.
Have to endorse what Charlie said. I can't see how it cannot damage.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Young FJmike and I have just a wee bit of experience when it comes to the preparation and maintenance of vehicles not only Motor homes where Mike know more than me because they differ with the materials used in the construction but also Automotive and by that I mean cars.

This is the only forum as far as I know for motor homes that has a section devoted to Detailing / Valeting. No other forum does and when I pop into other forums and when the subject comes up the folk asking are invariably pointed to this forum and its detailing section ..

I sometimes think I sound like a broken record when I keep repeating that certain products can have not only a detrimental affect but can Ruin the finishes on our expensive vehicles that are in most cases our pride and joy.

Please forgive me if I get repetitive and even sound narked when these topics come up time and time again. But I and I'm certain Mike have only your best interests at heart.

Washing a vehicle the right way is not only easier and faster but far cheaper using just plain water and shampoo. Take care and No damage will occur using the right products in the right way.

I stake my reputation when I say avoid waterless products on ANY vehicle. The very idea makes me shudder !!

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
The porsche concourse used to swear by the pink Johnsons baby shampoo to wash their cars.:)

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
Just because a company recommend a product does not make it good. I am told that Bailey recommend a waterless wash system for their motor homes and caravans. Older Bailey caravans do suffer on their finish, mostly dull patches, obviously not due to waterless washes, but do Bailey care anyway?.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
The porsche concourse used to swear by the pink Johnsons baby shampoo to wash their cars.:)

Shampoos can be cheap or expensive... I have used some costing a huge amount of money for just a litre. I have also used cheap stuff like Simonez at £3.77 for five litres from Costco...
I go to Costco quite a lot :D:D

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Well I do care about my van, very much actually, I like it to be clean all the time and a proper wash is not always possible whilst away so yes I do use a detailing spray to keep the van when on the road, people compliment me on how good the van looks so I must be doing something right. I will admit to being a bit sceptical re all the dry wash claims but I am happy will the finish on the van and will carry on using Autoglym detailing spray when I am away in the van.

Everybody has their own preferences though.

Martin

Adbt

Banned
May 19, 2015
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 740 SE
Exp
On both my Lotus Exige and my motorhome I would never ever dream of using those waterless products

Prelim use of snow shampoo then rinse, automotive shampoo using the three bucket method and a lambs wool mitt and then dry off using a microfibre sheet . I use a wax when I've got time and I'm feeling generous!

?

Deleted User
WASH, Wash :D My motorbike had not been washed in two years and when i sold it in the summer just there it still had the dirt on it. My car was washed last September for when we went to Germany. Only had the van a couple of month so no need to think about that yet. I do keep the insides clean though.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
On both my Lotus Exige and my motorhome I would never ever dream of using those waterless products

Prelim use of snow shampoo then rinse, automotive shampoo using the three bucket method and a lambs wool mitt and then dry off using a microfibre sheet . I use a wax when I've got time and I'm feeling generous!
There is a thread entirely devoted to washing and foaming of vehicles in the detailing section (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back