fincaman

Free Member
Feb 21, 2016
Malaga
Funster No
MH
Not Yet
Exp
Hello everyone, we have been fancying a motorhome for some years mainly because we have dogs and it would be great just to pile them in and go. I have done extensive research and am looking to buy but the one thing that I thought would be essential is a lightweight motorbike, is there anything purpose built ?

Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
As a lifetime biker,I use a trailer and scooter (125) which weighs 120 kgs. Or a Moto Guzzi 750 which weighs 178 kgs at the moment,having previously had a scooter rack.This was changed due to being perilously close to weight and overhang limits.
As you say you have researched I guess you may already know all this.
As regards a lightweight motorcycle the only thing I have used following shoulder surgery is a Skymax 125 copy of a Honda Dax.This will carry 2 and only weighs 75 kgs.
I don't think you will find much lighter than this,maybe someone else has a better idea.Good luck and a big welcome.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
If you choose a motorhome with a decent size garage (height important) and a decent load limit for that garage and payload then you can carry it in the garage. We have just bought a little Suzuki Address scooter which weighs in at a little under 100kg. Fits nicely in the garage of our Hymer - just buy a folding aluminium ramp from ebay to push it in and some straps to hold it in place.

Oh and welcome to the fun too!

OP
OP
F

fincaman

Free Member
Feb 21, 2016
Malaga
Funster No
MH
Not Yet
Exp
Hello all, What a welcome I have never had that on a forum before, I am going to look at at a second hand 2006 motorhome today it's only done 36000 KMs and we don't get rust problems here in Spain so cars can be kept on the road much longer. I'll keep you posted but should I move to a different section now as this is for introductions ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Hi finacaman ... welcome to the fun house!

I have a question for you ... why do you feel a motorbike is essential? Are you anticipating buying a large MH that won't get you to the places you want?

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Welcome ... @Jaws may be able to help you. :)

motorbike_welcome.jpg

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Welcome to the nut house :)
If you are looking at a lightweight bike ( say, a Honda 125 or its ilk ) then a tow ar mounted rack will probably be the way to go.
Certainly the easiest to use and the lowest cost .... Especially if you are handy with a spanner.. I built a tow ar mounted rack and had change of about £40 :)

The only real issue is that you get a motorhome that has enough payload available ..
Up until 14 months ago I had a bike firm, which was handy as it allowed me to try them all.....trailers, side loaders,lifts, weird. Not raptors that were rol on roll off... And yes, at one time I had a motorhome with a garage big enough to swallow a 250 trials bike with ease...
I know have an Autotrail Chieftain with plenty of payload, so I use a tow ar mounted rack ..
The tow bar was fitted by the folk I bought the van from but the rack .... I got a rack that is often used on the back of cars to transport dirt bikes around.. The type that has the two hoop affairs for the where's to drop in ..
Scrapped the hoops, welded a couple of support rods where they used to be to support a pressed steel plate that is usually used as a loading ramp to the thing and job done. Big advantage is of course it will simply pull off the back of the van when not needed.
There is a threa on here somewhere entitled cheap bike rack or similar. I posted some pictures of the thing on there.

OP
OP
F

fincaman

Free Member
Feb 21, 2016
Malaga
Funster No
MH
Not Yet
Exp
Hi finacaman ... welcome to the fun house!

I have a question for you ... why do you feel a motorbike is essential? Are you anticipating buying a large MH that won't get you to the places you want?
Hello Minxy I am new to this and when I have seen campsites they are usually out of town so if you needed to go and get supplies you surely would need transport but I'll stand correctiong

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back