Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
We have had a strange time with our Gaslow. Had the system for some years and it has all worked OK.
Refilled last time and the LPG pump looked brand new, In found it on the internet, a Repsol garage in Chicklana Spain.
Arrived to fill up and saw a totally different filler than ever before, so off to reception where with hand signs etc the Spanish guy produced some adapters, all brand new in a box. We then compared them to my adapter and found one that did the job.
So filled up we got on our way.
Fast forward to when the next tank was empty and switch over to the one filled as above and the gauge shows half!
Went to fill second tank, no problem, and at the same time got the guy to check the other tank. It's full was his reply, although as I pointed out the gauge showed half. Switch over to the full tank and gauge shows full.
Now been using the "half full" tank for a month with gauge sloooooowly going down.
Any ideas why this could happen?

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
The Gaslow gauge should show full when full and not start to move until it is down to 50%. That is the nature of it and if not doing that it is not working to design.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
From their original instructions
gaslow%20gauge.jpg

OP
OP
keith

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Mine older than that Andy, the gauge is separate with the regulator.
The gauges are only rudimentary affairs and cannot be relied on to be totally accurate in my experience.
After having a Galow system for ten years I am used to their inaccuracies but never seen this happen before. The same gauge measures both bottles so why is the first bottle showing different levels to the second at the same time, I cannot understand it. ?

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
In that case the only way to prove they are filling fully is to fill them and then take them out and compare weights

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
i would think if the gauge monitors both bottles its a pressure gauge more than a true fill level as shown in tecnos drawing and will be very inaccurate as the pressure of the vapourised gas remains fairly constant until very nearly empty

OP
OP
keith

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
i would think if the gauge monitors both bottles its a pressure gauge more than a true fill level as shown in tecnos drawing and will be very inaccurate as the pressure of the vapourised gas remains fairly constant until very nearly empty

Yes it is a pressure gauge and I agree with you as experience as shown me.
I thought at first the gauge was faulty but as it shows full when connected on one but not on the other I cannot see how it can do that.
I did wonder whether the fact that it was a new installation at the Repsol garage may have had anything to do with it.

evira

Free Member
Oct 22, 2015
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
since 2002
if it's a pressure gauge then it must be very sensitive and have a huge offset to represent the liquid phase of the LPG as a level indication.
Most likely it's as the drawing and a mechanical float or displacer, hence the short unrepresentative range. I have the alugas type and it can be slightly sticky in it's response when filling and I'd imagine the mechanism could get jammed with contamination over time.

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
We have two Gaslow bottles and quite a while back the gauge on the one in use showed empty for weeks before finally running out, they really aren't to be trusted but with two it's not so much of a problem!

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
You will get an idea of how much you use.
I look to fill up after I have used one bottle

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back