where to go,what to see in 10/12 weeks (1 Viewer)

alnshaz

Free Member
Sep 23, 2007
south yorkshire
Funster No
Exp
:Doh:
well the end is nigh, the threat of redundancy has reared its head,not unexpectedly, and i'm going to take time out for a well earned prolonged holiday.I'm looking for places that you regard as must see's and can recommend.Only things certain so far is starting at calais and thats it.I want to meander through France,into Spain,along the Med into Italy then back via Switzerland and Germany.
The likely starting date will be late September and i'm planning to be back for Xmas.Any advice on insurance or anything you can think of will be gratefully received.Prior to this the longest we have been away is the obligatory two weeks in France for our summer hols.

cheers Alan.

Travel Lightly

Free Member
Jul 26, 2009
Co. Tipperary, Ireland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
three years
Good luck in your redundancy.:Smile:

If heading down to Spain, and you haven't done so before, go over the Pyrenees. It's an unbelievable experience and one you will never forget. We did this back in 2002, but this was in a car and we haven't done so in the camper yet, but one day we will. We did, however, see many campers travelling over it with no problem.

hogan

Free Member
Aug 4, 2007
Valencia,Spain
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
If going to Valencia region come over pyrenees via st lary and the Bielsa tunnel :Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
cheers Alan.

Do you think you can take it ? Seriously, 6 weeks doing Morocco this year and we needed a holiday. Seeing things can be such hard work. Three weeks a couple of years ago, doing Italy, and I was ready to torch the next "work of art" on offer.

unitedgirl

Free Member
Oct 27, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On you way down thru Spain, spend a couple of nights in Mojacar (where we live!) a few good places in the area for wild camping and along the coast some good beachside sites.

Our travels in October after a busy summer working will take us further down the coast to the Tarifa area, beautiful beaches and chilled out atmosphere! Cant wait!::bigsmile:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i think sitting at home looking at an atlas is different to being there . the distances are incredible. i drive 500 miles aday when working so dont enjoy it when resting .leaving end of sept driving down west coast of france ,going along coast of n.spain ,down to portugalalong the algarve back into spain ,up to france n home sounds far enough /too far . 3 months soon passes . you may never get to italy + its getting colder as you pass the time. leave oct.return april seems better even then its along way . could be deep snow in lots places in the mountains or even inland away from the sea.take your time enjoy the countries you visit, the world isnt going to end next year (we hope).cheerts alan.

Losos

Free Member
Feb 17, 2009
Suffolk & Czechland
Funster No
MH
Looking to buyi
Exp
N/a
could be deep snow in lots places in the mountains or even inland away from the sea.

I can only comment on your proposed return via Italy and Germany and agree that in December snow in Northern Italy, Austria, Switzerland and Germany is a real possibility and not just in the mountains so keep this in mind in your planning.

Travel Lightly

Free Member
Jul 26, 2009
Co. Tipperary, Ireland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
three years
Snow + mountains + camper = not a good idea. However, if the roads [main roads, mind you] have been cleared and things are taken slowly, then you'd be fine.

Oh, and don't forget Portugal. I haven't been myself but here it is a great place to visit.

jomel

Free Member
Jul 31, 2009
Clevedon, Bristol
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
1 week (ahh)
We may well be doing a similar route at the same sort of time. Its our first time as motorhome owners, or will be when we find the right one
If you go before we do, I shall watch your progress. Good luck, enjoy your well earned trip.:Smile:

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
Some of the passes over the Pyrenees can be closed in the winter and the police want let you proceed if they are, the real problem if freezing up over night.

Make sure you are on Propane and not Butane. to escape the Pyrenees passes go around the coast to the East of Spain and you should be ok. Or bite the bullet, find somewhere nice and warm on the south cost of Spain or Portugal and wait until Spring, lovely!!

Good luck Doug...

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Snow + mountains + camper = not a good idea.

Believe this man. FWD and not enough weight on the front is absolutely useless, ours struggles to move on damp grass. I drove in The Highlands in February, I only got up some gentle slopes by sheer willpower.

And, despite being winterised, -4 managed to freeze the sink water pipes somewhere.

May 22, 2008
Funster No
SLOW DOWN 10 -12 weeks may seem a long time but it isn't I was made redundant 10m years ago and it was the best thing that has happened to me in many a year, take a slow drive down through France call in on a lot of Aires, we usually only do about 20-- 30 miles a day, whats the hurry, yes the crossings over the Pyrenesse are fabulous we have used them all now, we got caught out in January 2007 at ST Lary Soulan for the Bielsa Tunnel and had to use snow chains but you will be OK in September, wander through Spain, lots of cheap camping sites if you stay a week or more, use the beaches etc. to wild camp, meander into Portugal if you must, great places to be found, good camp sites cheap too or find a secluded beach and chill out, why rush, forget Germany and Italy, both great countries, but you will miss so much if you rush and come back knackered as another poster appears to have after dashing around Morocco, learn to CHILL, I know its hard after working for many years , but you will feel SOOOOOOOOOOO GOOOOOOOOOOOOd when you have mastered it.:thumb::thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back