Road Trip To Highlands ( On Motorcycles ) .. Camp Sites ? (1 Viewer)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Looking at the map I think our first stop will be about Darlington as one of the chaps going broke his back a few years ago and 200 mile stints is really about his limit..

After that we will be up around the Trossachs so will be wild camping once north of the border..

Can anyone recommend a camp site ( pref biker friendly or at least accept bikes ! ) around the Darlington area ?

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Hi John
Not a Darlington campsite but you might want to pop in to The Carbeth Inn just north of Glasgow on your way to the Trossachs. It's been a bikers haunt since bikes started!

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
You would get a good welcome at Cressfield John, but we may not be here depending on dates. :LOL:
We are around 3 hours from Doncaster.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
The campsite at Scotch Corner might suit. It's not far from the A1(M) but still quiet enough. You'll need some change for the deposit on the facilities key though :)

The people who own it appear to be dour at first but improve on knowing them better :)

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
You would get a good welcome at Cressfield John, but we may not be here depending on dates. :LOL:
We are around 3 hours from Doncaster.

Right in the middle of the 2nd days run Keith !! LOL !! Will have to see how we progress mate (y)
The date we are ( I think ) gonna be in that area about the 27th of this month...

The campsite at Scotch Corner might suit. It's not far from the A1(M) but still quiet enough. You'll need some change for the deposit on the facilities key though :)

The people who own it appear to be dour at first but improve on knowing them better :)
I can only see a couple of sites there mate.. Neither of em take tents.. Is there a wee one I am missing ?

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Right in the middle of the 2nd days run Keith !! LOL !! Will have to see how we progress mate (y)
The date we are ( I think ) gonna be in that area about the 27th of this month...

I can only see a couple of sites there mate.. Neither of em take tents.. Is there a wee one I am missing ?

Opps, looks like there are new owners who are now pushing caravan sales. There were tents when we were there last year.

Is this too far out?

http://www.oldstation-masham.co.uk/

I was there a few weeks back and it was lovely.

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Opps, looks like there are new owners who are now pushing caravan sales. There were tents when we were there last year.

Is this too far out?

http://www.oldstation-masham.co.uk/

I was there a few weeks back and it was lovely.

Now that looks spot on !!! And Darrell has now mentioned he wants to visit Tan Hill Inn which would be in stricking distance from there too

Cheers Puddle Peeps !!! :)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
If you are going near Masham there is the Black Sheep brewery there, the remnants so to speak of Theakstons. As I understand it when Theakstons sold out to some mega-brewery one of the family stormed off and started his own brewery, hence the name.

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
There's the CCC site at Moffat, a few more miles on from Cressfield. After that there are sites but not sure about tents. One in Abington if you can Google it and see of they do.

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
CCC are FAR too expensive I am afraid.. Although I am a member I would never use one of their sites unless I was completely stuck !!

But thank you for the input and suggestion (y)

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Should have said.. With little planned other than a few must visit places, we found some fantastic sites all over Scotland .
The only place we struggled was right up on the north coast..
Lots of sites,,,, in fact lots of pretty empty sites to be honest.
No real surprise though, the prices they were asking were, quite frankly, eye watering !
Apart from the last couple of days the weather was great, though the midges were a bit grim.. In the end we all did the bank robber impressions with the ubiquitous midge hats !

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Did that once and never again, the Midges drove us mad and with a tent you cannot get away from them.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back