pigginchilli

Free Member
May 17, 2015
Town Yetholm
Funster No
MH
low line.
Exp
We went there last october, spent at least £100 on meals and had a lovely time walking our dogs, we have just been turned away from our last nights holiday as they dont welcome motorhomes anymore, anyone else had this problem?

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Looking at their web site I see that it became part of the Agellus Hotels chain as of 6th October 2015. Just a guess but maybe they want to concentrate on the hotel side and/or don't want the hassle of complying with the 1960 Act.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
It's a hotel & restaurant, Brian, not a caravan site.
I realize that Graham but they also have a caravan park along side & to the rear of the pub which was full of statics last time I was there .. I believe they have in the past allowed overnighting in the car park opposite.

OP
OP
pigginchilli

pigginchilli

Free Member
May 17, 2015
Town Yetholm
Funster No
MH
low line.
Exp
Think its too posh for motorhomers now, I know the feeling thats why our van lives in storage nowt so queer as folks.:(

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
It used to be a 'pets welcome' establishment years ago. When we stayed there with our dog, the bloody fire alarm went off at 4am. We all had to assemble in the car park, complete with barking dogs until checks had been made. The all clear was given and everyone returned to their rooms. Just dropped back off to sleep and the sodding thing went off again.
Nevertheless it was a lovely place and the food from memory was exceptional.

OP
OP
pigginchilli

pigginchilli

Free Member
May 17, 2015
Town Yetholm
Funster No
MH
low line.
Exp
Is it that you cannot park overnight but that you can park while you are having a meal /drinks, or are motorhomes just banned outright.
they didnt seem happy with our big van in the car park! We stayed 3 nights last october and loved it, great food great dog walks bliss really, was in our brit stop guide but probs not in it now?

OP
OP
pigginchilli

pigginchilli

Free Member
May 17, 2015
Town Yetholm
Funster No
MH
low line.
Exp
It used to be a 'pets welcome' establishment years ago. When we stayed there with our dog, the bloody fire alarm went off at 4am. We all had to assemble in the car park, complete with barking dogs until checks had been made. The all clear was given and everyone returned to their rooms. Just dropped back off to sleep and the sodding thing went off again.
Nevertheless it was a lovely place and the food from memory was exceptional.
Yes it was our favourite place to stay, in the car park.

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Removed from the Pub Stop Map or should I say awarded a Black mark

Apr 9, 2015
🇵🇹
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Every day a schoolday
We stayed there only a few weeks ago (between Christmas and New Year) - lots of other Motorhomers too and none of us had any problems (that I'm aware of). The staff were really friendly and as you said the pub is in a great location and the food pretty tasty too.
How recently were you turned away?

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
I decided to find out why.
I emailed the Lifeboat Inn:

Dear Sirs
I contact you as a member of the Motor home community having been an owner
for over ten years and an active member of an internet forum www.motorhomefun.co.uk.

In a recent posting on our forum a member reported that he had been turned away
from your establishment as motor homers are no longer welcome, although on
previous occasions he had been made welcome and spent some time with you.

For clarification and to avoid other members calling and being disappointed can
you confirm your position with regard to motor homes using your car park and maybe requesting
they park overnight when taking advantage of your bars or restaurant.

If you have any questions regarding my request please feel free to reply directly to this email.

Keith Hepburn

The reply from the manager Helen Stafford as below:

Hi

I’m sorry this has happened but yes this will be the case moving forward as we are at the moment closing our rooms out which the builder’s will be using the carpark . we have had a lot off problem’s with people using our car park on very nice days which makes us look very busy but they have gone off for a walk which is affecting the business with new owners this was the decision made .if you would like to talk to me please call on (01485 512236 ).

Many thanks

Helen

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
I decided to find out why.
I emailed the Lifeboat Inn:

Dear Sirs
I contact you as a member of the Motor home community having been an owner
for over ten years and an active member of an internet forum www.motorhomefun.co.uk.

In a recent posting on our forum a member reported that he had been turned away
from your establishment as motor homers are no longer welcome, although on
previous occasions he had been made welcome and spent some time with you.

For clarification and to avoid other members calling and being disappointed can
you confirm your position with regard to motor homes using your car park and maybe requesting
they park overnight when taking advantage of your bars or restaurant.

If you have any questions regarding my request please feel free to reply directly to this email.

Keith Hepburn

The reply from the manager Helen Stafford as below:

Hi

I’m sorry this has happened but yes this will be the case moving forward as we are at the moment closing our rooms out which the builder’s will be using the carpark . we have had a lot off problem’s with people using our car park on very nice days which makes us look very busy but they have gone off for a walk which is affecting the business with new owners this was the decision made .if you would like to talk to me please call on (01485 512236 ).

Many thanks

Helen

Well done or making the enquiry.

Not a very well worded reply is it. I suppose I can understand "yes this will be the case moving forward" as meaning in future motorhomes will be turned away,, and closing our rooms out could mean they are closing or clearing the rooms and as a result builders vehicle will restrict available parking spaces. But surely that will only be temporary. Looking at the website they are refurbishing as 13 rooms, perhaps it might have been simpler say that, and it appears motorhomes will not be welcome even after the refurbishment.

Perhaps people do use the car park and go off for a walk not frequenting the pub but that in itself is hardly a reason to turn away motorhomes who are also paying customers. Perhaps Ms Stafford could ask the builder put up a sign that reads, "Parking for patrons only"

Seems to me they are aiming at the braying Horay Henry crowd and I think in light of the apparent attitude I will not be gracing them with my presence "moving forward", either in my motorhome or my car. By the way I think £10 per night per dog is taking the P and rather indicates they are not welcome either.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Looking at the background to this story, especially the scale of apparent losses and unpaid bills under the previous ownership, it doesn't seem all that surprising that the new owners are changing the way the place operates. As with any business, they can't sustain losses and will naturally wish to recoup their capital expenditure as soon as they can. Presumably they believe the extra income from the clientele they are now aiming at (what does it matter if they are "Hooray Henrys"?) will more than make up for any loss of previous customers.

This is the second time in a week that I've seen a story of pub car parks being abused by non-patrons. One in our area has introduced parking charges (refunded for genuine customers) because their car park was being filled up by groups of people using it to leave their vehicles whilst they car share to work and coach companies using it as a pick up/drop off (but not stopping) point.

The £10 per dog per night is for hotel guests isn't it? Not surprising when one considers the extra deep cleaning required to prepare the room for the next guest, who may suffer from allergies.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Looking at the background to this story, especially the scale of apparent losses and unpaid bills under the previous ownership, it doesn't seem all that surprising that the new owners are changing the way the place operates. As with any business, they can't sustain losses and will naturally wish to recoup their capital expenditure as soon as they can. Presumably they believe the extra income from the clientele they are now aiming at (what does it matter if they are "Hooray Henrys"?) will more than make up for any loss of previous customers.

This is the second time in a week that I've seen a story of pub car parks being abused by non-patrons. One in our area has introduced parking charges (refunded for genuine customers) because their car park was being filled up by groups of people using it to leave their vehicles whilst they car share to work and coach companies using it as a pick up/drop off (but not stopping) point.

The £10 per dog per night is for hotel guests isn't it? Not surprising when one considers the extra deep cleaning required to prepare the room for the next guest, who may suffer from allergies.
Not often I share your opinion on things but on this I couldn't agree more, they are entitled to do what they like on their own car park, without criticism from someone who doesn't know the full facts.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Stayed there in November with no probs.
Are they still in Britstops?

Or was it because we are local?:)

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
For whatever reason be it people parking up without using their facilities, builders in, or any other reason they like they have the right to refuse parking to anyone on their private land. Just cross it off the list and move on to the next one I'm afraid not worth getting upset about it. :(

Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp

You have a good point, they are going to try to turn a profit soon as they can but what was in my mind was TheAngel at Lavenham Suffolk taken over by Marco Piere White. He totally changed the place and made local people unwelcome, so much so he ended up putting the pub up for sale.

I would have thought that the way to make it one would be to welcome all types of customers, including motorhomers. There are going to be times when ay type of paying customer would be needed, particularly the winter months and I still think £10 for dog is expensive. Of course It's totally wrong for people to abuse the car park but I am not sure that the guilty parties have all, if any, been motorhomers.

Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Not often I share your opinion on things but on this I couldn't agree more, they are entitled to do what they like on their own car park, without criticism from someone who doesn't know the full facts.

True they can do what they like on their car park, The only fact that matters to me is that they want exclude my motorhome from parking on it while I partake of their hospitality. I don't see why I, or anyone else, should not be entitled to comment on that.

Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
For whatever reason be it people parking up without using their facilities, builders in, or any other reason they like they have the right to refuse parking to anyone on their private land. Just cross it off the list and move on to the next one I'm afraid not worth getting upset about it. :(

Yes your right, I just hate being made to feel unwelcome by a place I would have spent money in.

Last edited:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
You have a good point, they are going to try to turn a profit soon as they can but what was in my mind was TheAngel at Lavenham Suffolk taken over by Marco Piere White. He totally changed the place and made local people unwelcome, so much so he ended up putting the pub up for sale.
Ironic that it was his company that made such a hash of running the Lifeboat and the other three pubs isn't it? :LOL:
I would have thought that the way to make it one would be to welcome all types of customers, including motorhomers. There are going to be times when ay type of paying customer would be needed, particularly the winter months and I still think £10 for dog is expensive. Of course It's totally wrong for people to abuse the car park but I am not sure that the guilty parties have all, if any, been motorhomers.
I don't think the manager's reply implied that all the abusers were in motorhomes did it? Nor, if I read it correctly, is it a ban on motorhomes whilst their occupants are in the pub/restaurant but just not allowing the car park to be used for camping.

As regards the charge for dogs, a quick Google search indicates that £10 isn't out of line with charges made by several other hotels.

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Don't know if they are in Britstops , didn't know they were before.
Living in Scotland we don't spend a lot of time in Norfolk. :D :rolleyes:

LPB

Aug 19, 2015
Crawley
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
I'm a newbie
Stayed there in November with no probs.
Are they still in Britstops?

Or was it because we are local?:)

They are in this years book which I received on Friday.
Its a pity - its a very nice place and ideally located for walking and then coming back for a pint or 2 and a nice meal.
I think its a bit short-sighted, the car park is quite large.

I have been there many times in the car and was looking to go their in the Moho - not now obviously!
Lloyd.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
True they can do what they like on their car park, The only fact that matters to me is that they want exclude my motorhome from parking on it while I partake of their hospitality. I don't see why I, or anyone else, should not be entitled to comment on that.
No problem with your view , perhaps I didn't word my reply quite right , but there are thousands of pubs that don't allow motorhome parking , no one is knocking them so why should this one be any different, that's all ,

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I think its a bit short-sighted, the car park is quite large.
Apart from the possibility of wanting to serve a more up-market clientele (as mentioned in an earlier post) they may just be thinking along the same lines as other pub/restaurant chains - they are not in the business of running caravan sites.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back