LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
On the next pitch to us here at Motril, Andalucía (we're the Knaus on the left :D)- is a UniMog camper van - a fairly rare machine - would any of like to own one of these??

IMG_1705.JPG

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I've seen a few conversions, some home made others mega-expensive commercial ones.

Ideal for exploring the Silk Route - and then you see them parked on a campsite! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

If you have the odd million euros to spare you could buy one of these and park on a beach next to my PVC. :) Just don't try to follow me when I go shopping at Lidl.

P9260137.JPG

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
Teuchter

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
This one has a sick gearbox so on a campsite to try to nurse it back to health - owners say they NEVER use campsites normally :cool:

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Son in laws boss converted one into a camper with dreams of selling it for 6 figures. I did point out that serious off roaders are usually German or Dutch and might prefer one built to continental specs with the steering wheel on the left hand side........ it is still sat at the garage if anyone is interested....

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
This one is fairly sensible on IVECO daily 4x4.

image.jpeg

This one not so sensible.

image.jpeg

And to answer the question NO I don't think I would, I don't think the Caravan Club would approve. Oh second thoughts I want one.

Martin

Last edited:
May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Funsters Pat4Neil used to have one, don't know if they still do. I see they are read only now...

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Funsters Pat4Neil used to have one, don't know if they still do. See they are read only now...

My niece's husband also had one in Chile for carrying tourists up a volcano, needed a ladder to climb on board.
DSCF3743.JPG

ojibway

Free Member
Jul 17, 2012
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005
Unimog - one of my favourite vehicles.
Pure form = function
Awesome conversions - would have loved one some years ago when we had long hair and were more carefree!

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Well with the wild camping capability, you really can be a FLT........

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
This one has a sick gearbox so on a campsite to try to nurse it back to health - owners say they NEVER use campsites normally :cool:
=$$$$ :eek::eek: Only the farmers used to buy them in Devon & you need to have money at the rate they shift fuel.:LOL:
I have a couple of locals that have them but both are into rallying, Paris -Dakar type stuff & use them as support vehicles. There is another autocaravan up the road for sale . Seem to recall it is about 22k but as with everything here has been on sale for years.:(

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I think that particular one has been In Spain for years. There was an identical one on site Circa 2007. nr Benicasim.

Pete

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
No wouldn't touch one with a barge pole awful things old technology slow noisy expensive to run and maintain.
The Iveco @funflair put up is a far superior vehicle, I've done the Silk Road and you definitely don't need a Unimog a Transit will do it easily and it'll do it cheaper and in more comfort.

Reactions: DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
We see a lot of these conversions in Morocco, usually on ex-German Army chassis.
Hardly ever see a dirty one though so I wonder how many of them actually go anywhere really demanding.
And where can you go which is demanding and safe these days? East of Turkey is more or less closed though I guess you could go through the 'stans. Much of Africa is a bit iffy too. China would be nice if you can get there but a lot of bureaucracy and I'm fairly sure you need to have a local guide.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
And where can you go which is demanding and safe these days? East of Turkey is more or less closed though I guess you could go through the 'stans. Much of Africa is a bit iffy too. China would be nice if you can get there but a lot of bureaucracy and I'm fairly sure you need to have a local guide.

You can get to China through the Stans and take in the Pamir, Kharokoram, Hindu Kush and Himalays that's the way I went 4 years ago amazing route if you can stick it and are prepared to do the preparation and get all the visas beforehand. Luckily I got a visa for Iran so missed the Caspian and did the whole route overland except the Channel to France. Crossing into China can be a bit of a lottery over the Saritash pass I got stuck for 4 days and had to help rebuild the only bridge over a huge river which got washed away in a earthquake the day I arrived.
You're right you do have to have a guide in China its the law and in Tibet, if you can get a visa, you must have 2 guides if more than 2 people in case of altitude sickness, which happened to one of our companions, because they have to get down to lower altitude fast.
Fantastic part of the world following in the steps of the likes of Marco Polo and amazing people who live in some of the hardest places on the planet but you don't need a Unimog to do it as I said a decent Transit can cope.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I passed the one on sale this morning & it is a twin rear axle job. A bit odd to me as it isn't overly long ? I'll have to get a picture next time it is open when I'm passing.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Had a good poke around the one today...... Spartan accommodation but all the bits. He is taking it to Namibia later in the year. Did ask about - ahem - payload

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
I've seen a few conversions, some home made others mega-expensive commercial ones.

Ideal for exploring the Silk Route - and then you see them parked on a campsite! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

If you have the odd million euros to spare you could buy one of these and park on a beach next to my PVC. :) Just don't try to follow me when I go shopping at Lidl.

View attachment 94189

Hi DBK, This belongs to a friend of ours called Armand, he comes from Switzerland and has a homeopathic business and is a really nice bloke.
He comes down from his home to Mojacar every year and sits and "chills" to think about new developments for his wares. The top of that thing elevates to allow access to all the storage bins and hab door etc. He had it built to his own spec. Quite a chap.
Mitch.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back