Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Just found a red label in the Hymer glovebox, "Tighten wheelnuts at 50km"
I tried it but the wheelbrace flew off :)

Seriously , got my Clarke torque wrench set it to 160nm and at least a couple on each wheel took a bit over a quarter turn to click. I didnt get a reminder from the dealer so had I left them until first service at one year could have been damaged.:eek:

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Is 160Nm correct for your motorhome? Assuming Fiat/Peugeot/Citroen base vehicle 15" wheels should be 160Nm but 16" wheels should be 180Nm.

This is why I torque up wheel bolts/nuts after a service then road test and then recheck the wheel fixing torque.

D.

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
Last May I drove along the A470 to the hospital in Dolgellau: I could hear the exhaust echoing differently off the gates and walls.
Driving away from the hospital up to the Cross Foxes Inn I could hear the note change as we passed trees.
Hurtling down the A487 in pouring rain with cars close on my tail I could hear the exhaust going "wumph, wumph, wumph" as I passed gaps in the stone walls.
I could hear the same noise at Corris, where there was no reflecting surface.
I stopped in a bus-stop where the road was wide enough for cars to pass, only to find all five of my rear, nearside wheel nuts were in need of 3 complete turns :(.
I'm glad I stopped when I did - Gordon

PS I'd torqued all of my wheel nuts 4 days earlier before setting off on my 2 week holiday.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Larrynwin
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Is 160Nm correct for your motorhome? Assuming Fiat/Peugeot/Citroen base vehicle 15" wheels should be 160Nm but 16" wheels should be 180Nm.

This is why I torque up wheel bolts/nuts after a service then road test and then recheck the wheel fixing torque.

D.

Hymer handbook with new vehicle states 16" alloy wheels 160nm. I can only follow recommendation as too tight could also cause problems.

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
I used to go our with a girl I affectionately called spanner-face, not because she had a face like a bag of spanners but I only had to glance at her and my nuts would tighten up. :getmecoat:
should think you had better get your coat in and take that old hat with you.. Haha

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Hymer handbook with new vehicle states 16" alloy wheels 160nm. I can only follow recommendation as too tight could also cause problems.

Fair enough but Autodata quotes 160Nm for M14 nuts and 180Nm for M16 nuts regardless of whether alloy or steel wheels fitted. M14 studs are fitted for 15" wheels and M16 for 16".

D.

OP
OP
Larrynwin
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
image.jpeg

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I am a bit paranoid about me wheelnuts and the twin wheels on the back especially so.. I bought a load of pointy plastic nut indicators and they face in pairs, they show any divergence by a loosening nut. Nothing has happened yet so I am a happier bunny now. I can see them through the wheeltrims as well. HOWEVER shop around for them as some place will rip you off they are cheaper at a commercial vehicle factors. Not ebay.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
As above,good advice,also,a Dot of marker pen,level on two opposing nuts is cheap as chips,until you get the plastic do-dahs. Check mine regularly,some time ago,the n/side wheel nuts on wagons had left hand threads,i was told this helped keep them tight,due to the rotation of the wheel,have never forgotten the advice. "Keep your "U" bolts and your wheel nuts tight."
Tea Bag

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back