Teflon van coatings - how do they pan out? (1 Viewer)

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
Our local dealer in upselling mode has offered us a Teflon coating for the van exterior. Remembering the original versions of Teflon I imagined it peeling off after a short time. Does anyone have any experience of this lacquer?

I suppose you could fry an egg on the bonnet.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I imagine walking around on the roof could have some comedy potential.

Reactions: Jim
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I always thought those teflon non stick pans were over rated.. Can't imagine it being much better on your furniture.

non stick.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
The best thing to put on your vans paint is a product called Paintshield,its not cheap but it does work , you can check them out at Paintshield dot co dot uk

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
I'd agree with @Geo .I think it's a waste of money and you could get a better finish and longevity from proper cleaning and waxing.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Agree @Charlie gives great advice which we will follow when the weather is better and a product called Colinite 476S a wax to apply after a polish.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Agree @Charlie gives great advice which we will follow when the weather is better and a product called Colinite 476S a wax to apply after a polish.
Yes me too, the wax is on it's way but the weather isn't by all accounts.:(

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
Have to agree with Geo & co. any sealant (including Paintsheild)is a waste of money and can end up making your van look worse unless its a van conversion. Great for cars but not for motor homes as sealants do not flex but the materials motor homes are made from are designed to flex, resulting in sealant cracking and or crazing. Far better to apply a good quality wax.

OP
OP
Dorwyn
Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
Have to agree with Geo & co. any sealant (including Paintsheild)is a waste of money and can end up making your van look worse unless its a van conversion. Great for cars but not for motor homes as sealants do not flex but the materials motor homes are made from are designed to flex, resulting in sealant cracking and or crazing. Far better to apply a good quality wax.
It is for a new PVC

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
Worth considering if you are getting a PVC, however it still my be a waste of money if not applied correctly.

RitaG

Free Member
Jan 26, 2016
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Kon-Tiki 635
Exp
We had paint shield on our caravan which we bought second hand. It had only been used for one weekend so looked brand new but when I contacted Paint Shield to have the warranty changed from the previous owner to us they refused. Hence I would never bother to have it done on any vehicle.

appydaze

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 12, 2009
southend on sea essex
Funster No
MH
Merc high top
Exp
20 years
QUOTE="laird of Dunstan, post: 1753442, member: 35111"]The best thing to put on your vans paint is a product called Paintshield,its not cheap but it does work , you can check them out at Paintshield dot co dot uk[/QUOTE]

Never seen a website described........ dot co dot uk before :rofl::rofl:

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Lets clarify the difference between a "Paint shield " and a paint "seal"

Paint shield is a very thin plastic sheet that can be applied to or usually to areas that suffer from stone chips. A bonnet or front panel for instance.

Paint seal is just a conventional sealant that we can buy from a detailing supplier. This is usually applied just using a foam pad. It is then allowed to cure usually for 15 to 30 minutes before being buffed off with a soft micro fibre.

Wax and sealants do the same thing in protecting not only paint but pretty mush all the surfaces on our Motor homes.

A large Audi dealership near us used to charge upwards of £300 to apply a product that was basically a foam sponge filled with paint sealant. The actual sponge filled with sealant cost £4.99. I refused to pay £4,99 for the product cos it was utter bloody rubbish ! So the cost of the product was £4,99 and the valeter has to wash and dry the vehicle before applying. Lets give them the benefit of the doubt and allow 4 hours.. Not bad coin given a valeter at a dealership will get minimum wage..

So often I hear these days about this ir that wonder product. Nano seal or Nano technology ot whatever utter carp they say to fool the public into parting with lots of money for bugger all.

The problem as I see it is most people sit opposite a sales bloke who fools them into parting with 3 to 5 hundred quid and as most buy on the never never that money adds little to the monthly payments. Sales bloke 1 Punter nill.

Trust me get a quality Detailer/valeter like Mike to do a deep cleanse on your vans and apply a coat or two of colinite wax. Not only will you get a better job but the durability will be better and you will have saved a good chunk of money.

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
When I worked in a dealership it was common to see motor homes which had been sealed, probably because the salesmen were given a very good commission. I frequently saw badly prepped motor homes coated with sealant hence my comment about correct application. To make the problem even worse some were cleaned at a later date (not by me) using TFR, instantly dissolving the sealant.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Back in 2004 I bought a brand new Toyota Hilux invincible dual cab and the salesman offered Armaglaze coating at £200 a pop.....after coughing up £21000 they wouldnt include it in the price.....I declined.

OP
OP
Dorwyn
Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
This TFR stuff. Is this what is used by hand wash establishments? I occasionally use their services locally. They charge £10-£15, spray a load of chemicals and 10 mins later it's gleaming. I can spend 4 or more hours at it and it looks no better.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Please do NOT use TFR ! It is an aggressive product that is used by some in the valeting trade if a vehicle is exceptionally dirty. Its ok for that but the vehicle MUST be washed extremely well after using TFR. Some use it some dont. If you gave me a free drum of the stuff I would give it back.

We had a member here who had his van valeted using it and it ruined the decals. it can ruin permanently any bright work or chrome.

OP
OP
Dorwyn
Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
Please do NOT use TFR ! It is an aggressive product that is used by some in the valeting trade if a vehicle is exceptionally dirty. Its ok for that but the vehicle MUST be washed extremely well after using TFR. Some use it some dont. If you gave me a free drum of the stuff I would give it back.

We had a member here who had his van valeted using it and it ruined the decals. it can ruin permanently any bright work or chrome.
OK OK, I only arsked, wouldn't know how to!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back