Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Hi all need a bit of help /advice ..i am a bit of a techno phone please go easy on me. .i have campercontacts on my iPad thingy which doesn't have gps hardware on it ,campercontacts works fine however obviously no satnav guidance..so question is can I load gps onto iPad so that it will work or can I transfer the whole lot onto my snooper satnav .if so how ???? Roy

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi Roy

It won't guide you like a sat nav will so the only bit you are missing is Campercontact telling you what Aires or sites are near your GPS location.

The bit in Campercontact that says route is to load the GPS coordinates of the chosen site into either TomTom or some other mapping on the same device, and again it wouldn't work without The GPS feature on the iPad.

Just read no Bluetooth either so either new iPad time or just enter the coordinates from Campercontact into whatever sat nav you have would be my not very technical suggestion.

Martin

Reactions: DBK
OP
OP
Khizzie

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Hi Roy

It won't guide you like a sat nav will so the only bit you are missing is Campercontact telling you what Aires or sites are near your GPS location.

The bit in Campercontact that says route is to load the GPS coordinates of the chosen site into either TomTom or some other mapping on the same device, and again it wouldn't work without The GPS feature on the iPad.

Just read no Bluetooth either so either new iPad time or just enter the coordinates from Campercontact into whatever sat nav you have would be my not very technical suggestion.

Martin
Thanks Martin,that's what I thought . So will just enter coords on my snooper..as always. Was hoping there was a way of doing it . Thanks again all ...Roy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Download the Campercontact POI files (either the total set or just for the countries you want to visit) and load them onto your SatNav. Then, once you have found the site you want to visit with the iPad App, simply choose the same location on the SatNav from the POI file.
http://www.campercontact.com/en/content/downloads

Reactions: DBK

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Which Ipad have you got? Even the 1st generation should have Bluetooth, according to Wikipedia. Have you checked in Settings to see if it's there?

Joe

androidGB

Free Member
Dec 28, 2009
Bristol
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2001
I wouldn't assume that this would work with a GPS.

Although it's a standard , Apple are rather particular what Ipad's pair with.

Notably their products, such as Bluetooth keyboards.

Does you Ipad not have built in GPS. Have you got Location Services turned on?

Andrew

OP
OP
Khizzie

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
I wouldn't assume that this would work with a GPS.

Although it's a standard , Apple are rather particular what Ipad's pair with.

Notably their products, such as Bluetooth keyboards.

Does you Ipad not have built in GPS. Have you got Location Services turned on?
yep location access on

Andrew

No Andrew,no gps on my notepad..just Bluetooth which I am hoping I can pair with a gps receiver... Yep location access on..

Last edited:

androidGB

Free Member
Dec 28, 2009
Bristol
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2001
That is really strange, I've just dug out my old generation 1 Ipad, and with location services turned on and maps turned on, the Ipad is indicating my position

Andrew

OP
OP
Khizzie

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Yes mine will do that ok but I need to use it with campercontacts which it will not do turn by turn directions ,I wish to use it similar to a sat nav ..

OP
OP
Khizzie

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
It uses wifi to get your location only 3&4g iPads have gps I think

Joe

I understand that Joe which it the reason I have bought a Bluetooth gps receiver,hoping that will do the job ..if not I will just put the co ords into my sat nav....will let you know when the receiver arrives if it works ..Roy

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Yes mine will do that ok but I need to use it with campercontacts which it will not do turn by turn directions ,I wish to use it similar to a sat nav ..
I'm still a bit unsure of what you are trying to do. CamperContact is a stand alone application which lists aires etc and if the device knows where it is it will show sites in your location but if the device isn't telling CamperContact where it is you can still manually scroll on the map to your location and see the local aires.

To get to your selected aire you can use CamperContact to give directions although I have never used it to do this because I have downloaded all the poi information from the CamperContact website to my satnav.

CamperContact seems to use Google Navigate to give directions and this comes up with a warning that it is in beta and may include wrong turnings! I guess you will also need a broadband connection for it to work although it is possible to download Google maps now - but only in small sections I think.

My point is if you have a satnav then use that to do the navigation. It will be what you are used to and as a self-confessed technophobe why complicate matters? :)

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
There are two versions of every iPad.
With or without a sim card and mobile data.
If you have a slot for a sim card you will also have GPS fitted.
If no mobile data or sim card slot your position is worked out by wi-fi only.

Richard.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back