The Begginner questions (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter Winston_C_4ever
  • Start date
W

Winston_C_4ever

Deleted User
What are the absolute bear essentials one needs in a motorhome

And what are the differences between the various types of heating eg gas heater / blow air heating

Also, with electric hook up vans, does this mean one has no electricity when one is not in a camp site?

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Our most essential item is this ..
corkscrew.jpg

Most European vans have a gas heater that will work well on its own, but also has a blown air function which is great but really needs you to be on a hook up as the fans will drain your battery fast.

All vans have a leisure battery to provide power when you are not hooked up.You can use 12 volt equipment straight from you 12volt sockets. Many have an inverter and use normal household 240volt products

Hope this helps:thumb:

Upvote 0

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
1. What are the absolute bear essentials one needs in a motorhome

2. And what are the differences between the various types of heating eg gas heater / blow air heating

3. Also, with electric hook up vans, does this mean one has no electricity when one is not in a camp site?

:Smile: Hi and Welcome to MotorhomeFUN.

1. A Bed, somehow to heat, cook and wash, storage.

2. Gas Heaters and Blown air heating are one and the same. They (USUALLY) have the same Gas Heater with a ducted Blown air as an addition.

3. Usually, ALL vans have 12 volt internal lights with usually and extra battery in the form of a leisure battery as well as the motor battery.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
:Smile: Hi and Welcome to MotorhomeFUN.

1. A Bed, somehow to heat, cook and wash, storage.

2. Gas Heaters and Blown air heating are one and the same. They (USUALLY) have the same Gas Heater with a ducted Blown air as an addition.

3. Usually, ALL vans have 12 volt internal lights with usually and extra battery in the form of a leisure battery as well as the motor battery.

and 4. a chemical toilet. even the smallest camper vans have one, albeit without a lot of privacy ... :Eeek: :ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Also, with electric hook up vans, does this mean one has no electricity when one is not in a camp site?

Not at all. Most facilities run off 12V, you will have a 12V battery that will keep you going for a few days. It's charged by the engine or by hook up or generator/solar panel.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
W

Winston_C_4ever

Deleted User
thanks to all that commented x

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Apologies for disagreeing with you Jim but most recent Euro vans use a combined Heater/water heater which won't work without leccy. Unlike the early type heater if it ain't blowing it won't produce any heat. Your right though it does hammer your battery.:Sad:
corkscrew.jpg

Most European vans have a gas heater that will work well on its own, but also has a blown air function which is great but really needs you to be on a hook up as the fans will drain your battery fast.

All vans have a leisure battery to provide power when you are not hooked up.You can use 12 volt equipment straight from you 12volt sockets. Many have an inverter and use normal household 240volt products

Upvote 0

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Apologies for disagreeing with you Jim but most recent Euro vans use a combined Heater/water heater which won't work without leccy. Unlike the early type heater if it ain't blowing it won't produce any heat. Your right though it does hammer your battery.:Sad:

I'm going to disagree as well. I think our van counts as a Euro even though it was built in County Durham :Smile:

We have a Truma gas heater which has no blown air option at all. Blown air isn't necessary in a small van.

The water heater is separate and can run off main electricity or gas. The only leccy it needs when running off gas is momentarily, for the ignition.

Graham

Upvote 0

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I'm going to disagree as well. I think our van counts as a Euro even though it was built in County Durham :Smile:

We have a Truma gas heater which has no blown air option at all. Blown air isn't necessary in a small van.

The water heater is separate and can run off main electricity or gas. The only leccy it needs when running off gas is momentarily, for the ignition.

Graham
I got the mental pic of you flashing into a site,plugging in,fireing up yer gas and shooting off:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

nicklb

Free Member
Jun 14, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
12 months
corkscrew.jpg

Mine would be the wine first, can always borrow the corkscrew!:thumb:

Upvote 0

dencol

Free Member
Nov 20, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper
I would add small notebook and pencil. That way you can

1) make a note of anything you have forgotten, if you are like me you will return from a trip with a list of thing and by the time you get home will have forgotten them (although this could be my age and the need to reduce van weight by removing the wine bottles :RollEyes:)

2) You are sure to pass campsites and local attractions that are worth a future visit again you can keep notes of location and tel numbers.

best of luck and have fun its the best thing I ever did.

Colin

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back