Responsible motorhoming: Taking Care of the Environment (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
As motorhomers we have a responsibility to treat the environment in sympathetic way.. and not become the pariahs of the tourist industry ..

As there are a number of threads discussing wild camping and touring in Scotland, I was looking for a code and found this article from a New Zealand motorhome hire company which has very sound advice .. and applies equally to us in the UK. and especially when we visit the last remaining true wilderness area of Europe .. Scotland.

We all want to enjoy real wilderness, or as close as we can get in the UK, but paradoxically our very presence endangers it, let us all be responsible campers and follow the code.

Courtesy of Wilderness Motorhomes: >>>

Taking Care of the Environment

It's no secret the success of New Zealand tourism lies in the beauty of our landscape. At Wilderness Motorhomes we are committed to doing what we can to keep it that way through sustainable and responsible tourism.

We are backing our commitment by taking action. We believe the key to preserving our environment lies in education. That's why we have developed the Wilderness Motorhomes Environmental Care Code (ECC). A copy of the ECC is given to all clients at their pick-up briefing and outlines ways you can help do your bit for conservation while travelling too.
The Wilderness Motorhomes Environmental Care Code (ECC)[/I]

The handbook contains a list of approved dumping stations throughout New Zealand and guidelines on how you can help preserve New Zealand's natural wilderness and environment. Here are just a few:

Dispose of toilet and wastewater in approved dump stations. When hiking in back country areas without toilet facilities, bury your toilet waste in a shallow hole away from waterways, tracks and campsites or take it out with you.

Protect plants and animals. Take care to respect plants and animals. New Zealand is home to countless rare and endangered species that are not found anywhere else in the world.

Keep to the track. Unless you need to make a toilet stop when out hiking - keep to the track. If you do need to deviate from the track be careful not to harm plant life around you.

Take extreme care with fire. Always observe and obey fire restrictions. When cooking outdoors only use a barbeque or the built-in fireplaces provided.

Be considerate of others. If free camping, ask for permission from the landowner wherever possible. Don't overcrowd an area or overstay your welcome. Camp only in appropriate spots and respect others around you.

Respect cultural heritage. Take care and show respect when you are in a place of historical or spiritual significance.

Remove all rubbish. Litter encourages rodents and other pests, creates disease, is destructive, and unsightly. Look behind you when you leave to ensure you have not left any rubbish. A good motto is to leave the campsite better than it was when you found it.

Our commitment to the environment doesn't end with the ECC. We've considered how we can minimise the impact every area of our business has on the environment and taken the following steps:

* All motorhomes are fitted with toilets and wastewater tanks so unsanitary waste products can be disposed of correctly.
* All vehicles are maintained to the highest standard and tuned correctly to minimise environmentally harmful emissions.
* All motorhomes have a self-containment warrant to demonstrate that they comply with New Zealand's strict self-containment standards (NZS 5465:200).
* Our office operations are also carried out efficiently and with minimal waste.

Keep these points in mind when travelling in your motorhome:

* I am a clean, green, low impact camper
* I always use a dump station for waste water and toilet waste
* I always dispose of my rubbish in the correct way
* I always keep leave my campsite tidy and clean

We realise our commitment to the environment means very little without your support and we thank you for getting behind us.

Finally, don't forget to have fun and soak in the beauty of New Zealand's landscapes!

The Wallace

Free Member
Apr 3, 2009
Funster No
Great post Jim, but if we drive around in vehicles giving less than 25 MPG can we be green?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 21, 2007
Kings Ripton, Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
RP Rebellion 2 2024
Exp
Since 2007
Yes, good post Jim and a timely reminder.:thumb: Litter dumping and general trashing of our countryside and wild places really gives me the ump, more so than anything else, including our government.:thumb:

Quote: Great post Jim, but if we drive around in vehicles giving less than 25 MPG can we be green? Quote:

Not green but most only do low mileage in a single year.

steve

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Great post Jim, but if we drive around in vehicles giving less than 25 MPG can we be green?

A very good point .. in truth we cannot be truly Green but we can think about how we use our vans. I drive an RV which only does 15mpg but annual mileage is quite low.. around 5k .. while on site we do a lot of cycling and walking so we probably use our RV less than many smaller vans that are easier to park and get used more.

That said, we are looking to sell our RV as it's not a viable way to explore all the 'wild' places we want to .. so in some sense we will become less green and have a bigger impact on the wild countryside.

Maybe one day in the distant future, motorhomes will be solar powered .... or use fuel cells that produce no emissions :Smile:

jim

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back