Free Member
Apr 7, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
As you may or may not know the SNP Member for the Western Isles
is looking into asking Calmac to charge the full price for Motor Caravans visiting the Western Islands he says this is due to the islanders calling us binfillers

to get the full story visit wildcampin.co.uk or see post on this site
BAD NEWS FOR THE WESTERN ISLES

Please vote NO on online poll not to have ferry fares increased for campervans to the Western Isles.

Go to home page of http://www.stornowaygazette.co.uk/ and on the right hand side you will find:

"Island businesses feeling benefit of RET" open this page and the voting is half way down the righthand side. Thanks

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Interesting also to see the story Link Removed.

It would seem that local camp site owners do not necessarily agree with Mr Macneil.

It will be interesting to find out the full facts (if we ever do).

Graham

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
It would seem that local camp site owners do not necessarily agree with Mr Macneil.
Naturally they won't and who could blame them? It's a double edged sword.

The Hebrides are small islands with many small narrow roads and 'wild camping' areas quickly become overcrowded, i wild camped at one place where there was just four small campervans and no room for anymore. That said, the views were simply breathtaking.

Like any other area which attracts tourism the local population have just a limited time to profit from the season and within the next few weeks, 99% of the campervan tourist 'invasion' will have disappeared leaving the islanders who live there to sit out the rough weather.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
A

alf

Free Member
Apr 7, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp

The Hebrides are small islands with many small narrow roads and 'wild camping' areas quickly become overcrowded, i wild camped at one place where there was just four small campervans and no room for anymore. That said, the views were simply breathtaking.

Like any other area which attracts tourism the local population have just a limited time to profit from the season and within the next few weeks, 99% of the campervan tourist 'invasion' will have disappeared leaving the islanders who live there to sit out the rough weather.

Yes but there are hunderds of places to wild camp if you look and at most of them
you cannot see a croft / house / dwelling call it what you will and did you see any No Overnight Parking, Camping or whatever no I bet you did not.
The SNP is spouting for a few just look here,

MPs' expenses: cash-for-peerages MP claimed for Toblerone - Telegraph

A prime example for us all.

Alf

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022

I wouldn't blame them at all.

Reading between the lines of the Sunday Mail report it is adverse effects on certain areas which has led to the protests.

(snip)The SNP is spouting for a few just look here,

MPs' expenses: cash-for-peerages MP claimed for Toblerone - Telegraph

A prime example for us all.

Alf

With respect that is irrelevant to this topic. The fact that he was wrong then does not necessarily mean he is wrong all the time. I suspect there are further facts to emerge yet.

Graham

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
just gone back to the original thread by derekfreaberwick and this is in the link page....Link Removed

Western Isles MP Angus McNeil blames the influx on ferry operators Caledonian MacBrayne slashing ticket prices by 40 per cent.
The cuts were introduced thanks to the Scottish Government's Road Equivalent Tariff (RET) - matching ferry prices to the cost of road travel.
so the scottish government gave the go-ahead for this price cut and a minor scottish MP (had you heard of him before this?) wants to overturn it 'cos HE doesnt like it:Doh:

im sure most of the islanders welcome the extra income and tollerate the 'inconvenience' for a couple of summer months.

Last edited:

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Reading between the lines of the Sunday Mail report it is adverse effects on certain areas which has led to the protests.
Exactly why i stated it's a 'double edged sword'. I doubt very much any islanders who rely on tourist income are protesting! It does seem to be more of a political agenda with a few brownie points to be scored here 'n there.

Pity the same politicians don't appear to have any problems whatsover with the adverse effect the proposed building of the windfarm on Lewis will cause. A permanent and everlasting eyesore and ruination of a very small fragile landscape. And for what?
A few nice little backhanders.

The Wallace

Free Member
Apr 3, 2009
Funster No
I would urge everyone to vote on this, just in case anyone looks at it!

We went to Harris/Lewis at the end of May only because of the benefit RET gives.

We spent about £500 on our visit in local stores, pubs, restaurants, filling stations, camp sites (3), tourist attractions and general shops.

If councilor Mcneil will refund this money I promise never to take my 'campervan' back to his constituency. Let him explain to his voters how he single handedly removed this income stream from the island.

Muppets like him crop up everywhere but not many survive.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back