Hired a motorhome for a May try out in Eire... (1 Viewer)

BevB

Free Member
Jan 18, 2016
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet.
Exp
I'm a newbie.
Hi MF members.. l have hired a 5 berth T-Line for the end of May 2016.. Ferry booked Holyhead to Dublin.. This is only for 8 days.. l'm looking for any advice on stay overs/sites/parking... places.. Dublin, Waterford, Cork, Killarny, "Ring of Kerry" etc... all advice on routes, recommendations for restaurants /cafes/bars etc..most welcome... Do's and don'ts
Thank you in anticipation. . BevB ..newbie!!!!!!

Fat Rat

Free Member
Mar 12, 2015
West Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape 664
Exp
Hello again Bev,
I've just seen this post and noticed your doing the Holyhead to Dublin crossing. Just bear in mind that travelling through Ireland will be slow, although there are some new roads (motorways) the bulk of the roads are A/B roads. I travelled from Clondalkin (just outside Dublin) to Rosslare to get the 14.30 ferry and I left at 9 am, I nearly never made it (I was the last vehicle let on). The biggest hold ups are in town with the 'triple parking' and can take an age to get through. Bear in mind that Kerry is almost 200 miles from Dublin and there is no fast way to get there and back. If I were you, decide either the east coast or west and travel the most direct route to pace yourself for the route back. Everyone and everything is laid back so my only do's would be to keep a map on board and a campsite book rather than relying on Sat Nav and the internet. I found I preferred to stay at a Campsite rather than wild camping although you can http://wildcamping.moonfruit.com/ireland-w-c/4572721487

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Hello and welcome Bev , from another Bev ( and Ralph !) from Yorkshire.
Can help you with your Irish questions. It's somewhere we want to visit , but haven't yet. So we shall watch with interest.

OP
OP
BevB

BevB

Free Member
Jan 18, 2016
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet.
Exp
I'm a newbie.
Hello again Bev,
I've just seen this post and noticed your doing the Holyhead to Dublin crossing. Just bear in mind that travelling through Ireland will be slow, although there are some new roads (motorways) the bulk of the roads are A/B roads. I travelled from Clondalkin (just outside Dublin) to Rosslare to get the 14.30 ferry and I left at 9 am, I nearly never made it (I was the last vehicle let on). The biggest hold ups are in town with the 'triple parking' and can take an age to get through. Bear in mind that Kerry is almost 200 miles from Dublin and there is no fast way to get there and back. If I were you, decide either the east coast or west and travel the most direct route to pace yourself for the route back. Everyone and everything is laid back so my only do's would be to keep a map on board and a campsite book rather than relying on Sat Nav and the internet. I found I preferred to stay at a Campsite rather than wild camping although you can http://wildcamping.moonfruit.com/ireland-w-c/4572721487

Thank you so much for your advice Fatrat. . Map and campsite book it is then..

Oct 20, 2014
Wicklow Town, Ireland
Funster No
MH
2020 Avantgarde 175
Exp
A good few years
Hi Bev.....You can drive from Dublin to Cork without encountering a single traffic light on excellent motorway...OR....you can do the east coast scenic route which will pass through many towns you mentioned. Wild camping spots are plentiful but should you want campsites check out... http://www.camping-ireland.ie/map

Cant guarantee good weather but you;ll find us Irish to be very welcoming:)....Let me get back to you with some suggestions etc......Cheers!

OP
OP
BevB

BevB

Free Member
Jan 18, 2016
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet.
Exp
I'm a newbie.
Hi Bev.....You can drive from Dublin to Cork without encountering a single traffic light on excellent motorway...OR....you can do the east coast scenic route which will pass through many towns you mentioned. Wild camping spots are plentiful but should you want campsites check out... http://www.camping-ireland.ie/map

Cant guarantee good weather but you;ll find us Irish to be very welcoming:)....Let me get back to you with some suggestions etc......Cheers!

Thank you so much.. l really am grateful for input and any suggestions. I'll check out the camping site site.. l see you're from Wicklow "Irishrover", another town on my must see list..
Cheers Bev..Xxx :)

Oct 20, 2014
Wicklow Town, Ireland
Funster No
MH
2020 Avantgarde 175
Exp
A good few years
Thank you so much.. l really am grateful for input and any suggestions. I'll check out the camping site site.. l see you're from Wicklow "Irishrover", another town on my must see list..
Cheers Bev..Xxx :)
Hi Bev...An 8 day trip may be a bit of a whistlestop tour if you want to see all those places mentioned in your opening post. Heading south from Dublin you might consider taking the Coastal route which brings you down through, Wicklow ( The Garden County of Ireland;)) Wexford, Waterford, Cork and then Kerry. If pushed for time to get back for ferry you could get from Kerry to Dublin on mainly motorway all the way ( about 5 hrs ).

Eating out is the same as anywhere in the world...some great, some bad....Cant go too wrong with pub grub which is usually reasonably priced also. Some great Sea Food restaurants along the East Coast in many towns you'll pass.

Plenty of places to stop for the night ( Wildcamp ) We see many MH's in pub carparks and Council carparks beside popular beaches etc. Ireland is a very safe country but as anywhere, be vigilant and move on if you feel unsafe somewhere.

Here is site with some suggestions you may find helpful...

http://www.motorhomeroadtrip.com/ireland/top-ireland-motorhome-roadtrips/

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Why not try one night wildcamping 2/3 of the way through your trip if you want to try out motorhoming may as well give it a go.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Just looked at the wilcamping link there is one in Gallway at the marina we went there for a couple of days last year when the oyster festival was on nice city with an area of pubs with music and restaurants from the spanish arch along the high street short walk from the marina

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back