What do you expect from a gas fire service? (1 Viewer)

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
We just had a genuine gas service mobile engineer out to carry out a service on our gas fire. Cost £60.

He got his ladder out and looked at the cowl on the roof as I had showed him an extension I had bought and asked if it might help when windy.
He said no not to use it, the one on roof is the correct one.

Next he took cover off of fire, swapped the battery and gave the visible parts a clean, also cleaned the cover. Not much dust at all really. Looked to see the flame was showing blue.

So thats it for my service. In hindsight I thought he might have done some more checks.

Is this a normal service for £60...

Sep 25, 2009
south yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2004. Tugger 10 years on and off
That sounds about right.Only other thing he should do is a drop test on meter to check there are no leaks

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Would have thought a gas pressure check at valve /burner and a check for leaks
A flue gas analysis check
A good clean ,brush/vacuum of burner..
That's what I would expect...
As for the extension... It's sold by the makers to help prevent blow back (thats if my memory serves me right lol ) so if he was told that happens I'm surprised he dismissed it like that..
See what others who have had a similar service done say..

Ta andy..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I think I slipped up. Should ve asked these Q's before I had it done. I thought I might have got some sort of certificate but no. In fact I need to ring tonight and ask for a receipt.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
A new battery for our fire is £60 so reasonable. I have since bought a rechargeable battery though.

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
@WillH it was just a normal battery, nothing fancy.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
No it doesn't constitute a "service". For that he should have removed the air intake under the fire and cleaned it out plus a flue gas analysis. The roof cowl that is fitted may well be the correct one, in fact it almost certainly is but there are occasions where the extension should be fitted, a roof box or upstand at the side of the roof close to the flue outlet for example.

D.

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
No it doesn't constitute a "service". For that he should have removed the air intake under the fire and cleaned it out plus a flue gas analysis.
Please can you tell me what this would involve as im going to give him a ring tonight. Thanks

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Exactly what I said, remove the air intake grille under the fire and clean it out, they get clogged up with a mix of road debris, general dirt and dead insects. Restricted air intake causes poor combustion and high CO production.
Flue gas analysis is the only real and accurate way to establish that a gas appliance is burning correctly and safely.

D.

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Thanks but what is a Flue gas analysis? I would like to know what this entails so I can pretend I now know about it when I call :)

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Exactly what I said, remove the air intake grille under the fire and clean it out, they get clogged up with a mix of road debris, general dirt and dead insects. Restricted air intake causes poor combustion and high CO production.
Flue gas analysis is the only real and accurate way to establish that a gas appliance is burning correctly and safely.
D.

I think the gas fire is at home.....

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
No its in her motorhome, it has featured in several threads on here with problems of it blowing out in high winds etc.

Thats correct. He told me the extended cowl I showed him should never be used and the reason the fire blows out from underneath when its windy and only solution is not to park in the wind.

In fact its n9t an extended cowl but one with a bigger top.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Thats correct. He told me the extended cowl I showed him should never be used and the reason the fire blows out from underneath when its windy and only solution is not to park in the wind.

Check with Truma, the extension should be used when a large obstacle is within a certain distance of the cowl, can't remember the exact distance off the top of my head but a google search might help. Is he Truma trained and accreditied?

D.

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I never thought to ask but his card says NCC approved and gas safe register and he was at the Caravan and motorhome show in Glasgow recently.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I'd expect more service than you got Sandra.

If you get no joy I would name and shame.

Sep 25, 2009
south yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2004. Tugger 10 years on and off
That sounds about right.Only other thing he should do is a drop test on meter to check there are no leaks
I didnt relise you were talking about M.Home .I thought you were talking domestic Fire.:rolleyes:.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
I thought it was a domestic fire as well. For info the fire I'm talking about is a 'Brilliant' fire. The rechargeable battery works fine, though we only use the fire in the winter months. It's one of these 'slab' type fires that sticks out of the wall complete with ceramic pebbles and driftwood. Looks really good.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Flue gas analysis is simply testing the exhaust gases from the fire in the flue, a Flue Gas Analyser is used and it will give a readout of CO content in parts per million, CO2 in percentage, oxygen content, flue temperature and overall efficiency. It is the only accurate way to establish correct combustion. Just for information the S3002 fire takes a simple AA battery to power the igniter module.

D.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back