Help-Waeco 240/12v fridge (1 Viewer)

Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Vans and tugs since mid 70's
My new second hand MH has this CR80 fridge fitted that will use an average of 2Ah. As we wild camp 99% of the time I am very concerned of the battery drain and this on a van with no solar panel fitted. I would be grateful for comments from others who also have this type of 2 way fridge fitted and how do they live with it?
I am considering fitting 2 x 100w solar panels and 2 extra leisure batteries.
Any comments welcome.

Jul 1, 2012
Nr Whitby
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
On & off since late70s
We have a Waeco fridge, 80w solar panel and second battery.
Mainly wild camping thus moving most days. Works OK for us.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Without going into the sums because there are so many variables I think you are on the right lines with what you are proposing ..
The beauty of solar is its well matched to a compressor fridge..
When it's hot and sunny and need the fridge the solar is working at its best...but you still have the nights to get through...
I have a bit 65l compressor fridge and diesel heater and a100w panel is not enough... Each day I go into more defect and usually reach 50% discharge on 200ah battery bank in 3 or 4 days..
Ta andy...PS back to the rugby...come on ireland and hope they can keep it up...:Grin:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
vin0114
Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Thanks @phase3begins and @andy63 , I had 3 leisure bats in last van and have found a slot for the extra 2. It was a bit of a challenge as we are now approximately 20% smaller. Bugger, Frenchies have just gone in front.

Nov 2, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC, S&L Iveco
Exp
45 years
We have virtually the same set up as @andy63 except we have 300amp and can plug in an extra 100w panel when required, works well for us and certainly wouldn't willingly go back to a gas fridge.

OP
OP
vin0114
Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
We have virtually the same set up as @andy63 except we have 300amp and can plug in an extra 100w panel when required, works well for us and certainly wouldn't willingly go back to a gas fridge.
Thanks @Ranger, ordering the panels and fittings now.

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
I also have an electric only fridge and love it. My set up is 2 x 100 Ah batteries and 100 wt solar panel and this has seen me through about 4 days at Funster rallies when I have also used the TV at night. I am however considering a further solar panel just to be on the safe side.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Hi can you tell me how that works... ie does your extra panel connect through its own charge controller or into your existing system ...
I have the ability to connect an extra 80w portable but it has a pwm controller built in and I assumed it wouldn't do much charging with the 100w panel and it's mppt controler already charging at most probably a higher voltage....
I suppose I should try it and check the current flow one day lol..
But just thought I'd ask...
Ta andy.

Nov 2, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC, S&L Iveco
Exp
45 years
It is connected to the same controller terminals as the roof mounted one and to plug it in we use a din plug and socket mounted in the 240volt inlet box to keep it neat. Hope that helps.

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Hi can you tell me how that works... ie does your extra panel connect through its own charge controller or into your existing system ...
I have the ability to connect an extra 80w portable but it has a pwm controller built in and I assumed it wouldn't do much charging with the 100w panel and it's mppt controler already charging at most probably a higher voltage....
I suppose I should try it and check the current flow one day lol..
But just thought I'd ask...
Ta andy.

It is connected to the same controller terminals as the roof mounted one and to plug it in we use a din plug and socket mounted in the 240volt inlet box to keep it neat. Hope that helps.
Andy - as long as your mppt controller will handle the current from 180W of panel (I'd be surprised if it didn't), do what Ranger has done & wire both panels in parallel to your mppt controller & bypass the pwm controller that comes with the portable panel.

If you want to preserve the stand-alone nature of the portable panel for future sale, or use elsewhere, make up a new lead that runs direct from the panel to the input side of the mppt controller (via another plug/socket like Ranger has done if you want an easy way into the van). I'm assuming the pwm controller is mounted on the back of the panel - leave it there & just disconnect the panel input & re-route the panel wiring to merge with that of your roof mounted panel.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
So, what's so good about this type of fridge and does it work as you are travelling?

Sep 22, 2013
Halifax
Funster No
MH
Relay self-build
Exp
Trainee MH owner
So, what's so good about this type of fridge and does it work as you are travelling?
No flue holes in the van sides, able to cool quicker, no annual gas safety check, works even if the van is not level and, yes, it works while you are driving or parked without any need for switching over.

Downsides are that it is more expensive to buy and noisier than an equivalent three-way and will need some extra 12v power to keep it running. Solar comes into it's own for a compressor fridge!

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Andy - as long as your mppt controller will handle the current from 180W of panel (I'd be surprised if it didn't), do what Ranger has done & wire both panels in parallel to your mppt controller & bypass the pwm controller that comes with the portable panel.

If you want to preserve the stand-alone nature of the portable panel for future sale, or use elsewhere, make up a new lead that runs direct from the panel to the input side of the mppt controller (via another plug/socket like Ranger has done if you want an easy way into the van). I'm assuming the pwm controller is mounted on the back of the panel - leave it there & just disconnect the panel input & re-route the panel wiring to merge with that of your roof mounted panel.

Cheers Simon. .. I suspected that would be what I had to do...
Unfortunately lack of thought when I put the 100w panel and mppt controler in... The controler is a small 10 amp one... instructions say max 130w... The combined current (max) of the panels comes in at 10 amp so I would be pushing it to try what you have said without upgrading the controller.... and using the 80w separately would be I suspect a waste of time...
Cheers andy.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back