shauno

Free Member
Feb 9, 2016
south west
Funster No
MH
don t own one yet
Exp
hi not quite bought a mh yet, ime going through the pros and cons, what do you all do and where do you go , we only have weekends free, if i bought one would we use it enough? where do you all go,i guess ime looking to justify buying one, never done camping before, do you all join the caravan and camping club and go to those sites?.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
What's your other interests. We use for race meetings, visiting friends or just a weekend away at the coast. Very rarely use camp sites, you can find some wonderful places to park up for the night.

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I can't help thinking you're starting from the wrong end. You need to consider what you want to do and decide if a motorhome is what you need to do it.
If you only have weekends you are stuck with the UK and a motorhome will lose you a lot of money if you decide it isn't for you.
Read some threads on here, you will see what other people do with theirs, and staying on club sites is not what most do.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Aug 31, 2015
Huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt, AS Winchcombe
Exp
since 2013
we go off everytime we have a free weekend. We mostly wildcamp if going for just a few days. The world is your oyster. We are in Yorkshire but can reach Cumbria, Northumberland, Kielder forest, Scottish borders, derbyshire, stratford upon avon is a favourite, Whitby, North york moors, Yorkshire dales......... anywhere within a few hours drive.

I love coming home from work on a friday and jumping in the MH and just going cos we can. No need to book anywhere, ive never had any problems finding a suitable wildcamping spot, usually with a cracking view. walk to a nearby pub for a meal and a few drinks and i feel like ive had a mini holiday (compared to staying at home where i would be doing housework (which can wait) and washing and cooking meals.......). Come back refreshed and ready to face another week at work

Upvote 0

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
hi not quite bought a mh yet, ime going through the pros and cons, what do you all do and where do you go , we only have weekends free, if i bought one would we use it enough? where do you all go,i guess ime looking to justify buying one, never done camping before, do you all join the caravan and camping club and go to those sites?.
Hello! All the above is great advice but we hired one first( which is expensive.) but well worth it . OH wasn't sure if he would like driving such a big vehicle.we went to Scotland for a week and absolutely loved it! Visiting dealers and shows trying out beds space etc is all essential to get the right layout for you. Even then we have changed our minds already about what we need in the van,and are on our 3rd one. Enjoy the process and good luck! :)

Upvote 0
Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
what do you do at weekends now ?we find being away in the van restfull where as staying at home were never away from the phone/computer

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

shauno

Free Member
Feb 9, 2016
south west
Funster No
MH
don t own one yet
Exp
what do you do at weekends now ?we find being away in the van restfull where as staying at home were never away from the phone/computer
your rite we finish work on friday and mope about the house watching tv, moaning about where the years have gone.

Upvote 0
May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
When I was working , we used the moho 42 weekends of the year & then for all of my weeks holiday entotlement, W/ends most of them on the Isle of Wight, some wild camping using car parks just for overnight then move in mornings to somewhere to take the dog for walks etc. sometimes camp with C& CC,as they have meets w/ends about every 3rd week.
I see you are from the west country , you have some of the best local places to visit.

Upvote 0
Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
your rite we finish work on friday and mope about the house watching tv, moaning about where the years have gone.
Sounds like a pretty good reason to get a M/H & get out there!

If it's just the two of you & you are new to it all, I would suggest looking at a panel van conversion to start with. Less chance of suffering from damp & more manageable to drive (unless you are already used to wide vehicles). If you are mostly doing short weekend trips, the relatively smaller space shouldn't be a problem.

Apart from all the places to visit, there are the meets & rallies run by all the clubs. We always thought that they weren't for us until we went to our first FUN organised meet. We are still not falling over ourselves in a rush to go to other club rallies, but FUN get togethers are something else! (y) :)

Upvote 0
Aug 31, 2015
Huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt, AS Winchcombe
Exp
since 2013
it all depends what your weekends are like now tbh. We were wasting ours by just slobbing around the house watching TV and doing a few chores (still do on the weekends when we cant get away due to my shift patterns). If you do football, rugby or have a routine where you meet friends etc then it may not be for you. I have many friends who would not suit the MH'ing lifestyle as their weekends are just so busy and they have a full social calendar. But for us, drop and go and get away from it all has given us some quality back to our free time.

Upvote 0

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
@shauno You mention 'not doing camping before'. Camping to me means out in a tent somewhere. Motorhoming is different of course because motorhomes provide more comforts. It doesn't really matter if you've done neither, it's just a matter of picking it all up. Most folk on here will tell you that they are still learning after motorhoming for 20 years!

Paraphrasing my wedding service, "Motorhoming should not be entered lightly or selfishly, but reverently and responsibly" :D
In other words, it ain't like buying a tent that you can bung up in the loft if you don't like it! Even a second hand MH will set you back a few bob, then there's road tax, insurance etc.

Before you think about where to go, think about where you will park it; how many berths, how old etc

Of course, all of us on here will extol the virtues of motorhoming. We are from all walks of life, enjoy the outdoors and love the pastime.

Is it worth it just for weekends? Well, remember that you have public holidays and your summer annual leave to play with too, so it won't be parked up for too long!

Where to go? Start small. There's plenty of places relatively local to you; all you have to do is search on the web. Some folk on here have spent their first night on their driveway! You can go 30 miles up the road, or ride a ferry to France and beyond; such are the endless possibilities.

It's not necessary to join the C&CC or Caravan Club or other clubs, Motorhome Fun is all you need! People join clubs for (say) getting a deal on insurance or ferries or to use club campsites.

Apart from 'somewhere to go' there's lots of fun in choosing a vehicle, setting it up, buying bits and pieces and learning the craft. I guarantee that you will have plenty to keep you occupied, even if you don't turn a wheel!

Good luck
James

Upvote 0
Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
then you need a motorhome but you do have to make the effort to get away we often pack the van thursday night fridge on and ready to go as soon as we can friday it doesnt mattter where
weve gone away and hardly stepped out of the van due to bad weather but still enjoyed it. We refuse to have a telly or it would be to much like being at home

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2014
mid wales
Funster No
MH
carthago chic i51.
Exp
We just do mainly weekends as said just have the van ready and go it doesn't matter where
as soon as we get on the road we feel relaxed

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back