shauno

Free Member
Feb 9, 2016
south west
Funster No
MH
don t own one yet
Exp
hi to all , have the chance of a fiat based ducato compass drifter , 410 le merit, p reg,have been thinking of a motorhome for two years to buy, this ones at £8000, years mot, 56thousand miles on the clock,the wife wants me to buy it, but i have reservations as to it being to old, should one go for a newer m home,or are they still ok to buy.

Feb 26, 2012
Funster No
MH
coach
Exp
Motorhome since 2006 (caravanning 38yrs)
First of all, welcome. Age of unit is not as important as it's condition.
Just be sure it has a sound chassis and body. The worse problem to rectify is repairing frames that have been affected by water ingress.
Someone else on here may be able to be more specific about the make and model.

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
Hi and welcome to FUN, age and mileage shouldn't be a problem if the van has been looked after but damp could be, get yourself a damp meter and check very carefully.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
The older Compass vans I have encountered have been made well compared to those made when Elddis took them over.
The Mother and Father in Law had one and it was as dry as a bone.
As advised above though, be careful what you buy. Damp in the coachbuilt body can often go unnoticed until things get really bad and expensive repairs are requied.

OP
OP
S

shauno

Free Member
Feb 9, 2016
south west
Funster No
MH
don t own one yet
Exp
thanks all, still thinking it over, wondering how many times in the summer months on average do you use the mh, is it mostly every weekend.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
thanks all, still thinking it over, wondering how many times in the summer months on average do you use the mh, is it mostly every weekend.

Hello and welcome from West Midlands.

As for how often a motorhome gets used that's a "how long is a peice of string" type question. At present ours is underused and spends a lot of time on the drive. It's suffering 'RWS' (Restless Wheel Syndrome) at the moment. Many people use theirs every week (some even motorhome fulltime) so it's very much up to you. You might also find unexpected uses, such as, a few years ago I was doing a hot air balloon flight. The night before I rang the number given to check weather and flight conditions etc. and was told to be there at some ungodly time in the morning. Given that I live a few hours away I had the option of getting up in the middle of the night but instead went over in the motorhome the previous evening, had a good night's sleep in the next field then drove round the corner bright, fresh and raring to go. Also Jean had the use of the van including full home comforts, kettle, TV etc. until my return in the afternoon. Don't know how else we could have done that!

Wyn

Wyn

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back