Dometic RML9330 Fridge Door Trays (1 Viewer)

CeeJay13

Free Member
Sep 16, 2015
The North of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Returned 2015 after many years of kids and other expenses!
Hi,

We have just spent a few days away in our new Pilote and, after only 2 previous nights away, we have had 2 fridge door trays break.

My wife put a litre of milk in the top tray and it broke, as it swung down, it took the next tray out. Not impressed. The attachment of the tray to the door would appear to be a tapered moulded upright on the door and the tray has the mating part to slot onto it. However, to remove the tray from the door requires a reasonable amount of effort i.e. the taper is very tight, found this when I went to check the 3rd tray to see if it shows signs of stress. I am wondering if the taper moulding on the door is too large for the taper on the tray. The reason I wonder this is that the breaks on both trays are identical in both angle a fracture pattern.

There is another thread in another forum which describes the same problem (not sure on link posting policy to other 'Fora').

My question before I contact my M/H supplier and Dometic-Waeco is...
Has anyone else experienced this on their fridge?

TIA

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Not got this fridge but never had any issues on any of ours over the years - does yours have the clear door shelves/pockets or the white ones?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I've just been reading up on this on the caravantalk website and it appears there was supposed to be a modified/revised version of the door shelves being produced but no-one seems to have reported back how they've got on with them.

You're first recourse is with the supplying dealer, not Dometic, as it's your dealer who your contract is with.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
CeeJay13

CeeJay13

Free Member
Sep 16, 2015
The North of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Thanks Minxy Girl. That was the Forum I was refering to and yes, I will check with dealer first.

Shelves are clear plastic.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Thanks Minxy Girl. That was the Forum I was refering to and yes, I will check with dealer first.

Shelves are clear plastic.
In my experience clear plastic is nowhere near as strong as white plastic ones, not sure why but I assume the 'mix' of chemicals etc is different so not as strong.

OP
OP
CeeJay13

CeeJay13

Free Member
Sep 16, 2015
The North of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
As a general rule (though not set in stone) clear plastics are normally a form of acrylic and depending on mix can be very brittle, especially when cold! The white ones have a far wider range of mixes available.

Of course there are always exceptions. (Just covering all bases!)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Err, it's a Dometic fridge/freezer in our 2013 Pilote, also 'clear' plastic. yes you do have to empty them and give em some persuasion to get them out but we haven't had any of them actually break so far - we do tend to put the fridge on mains the night before we go away, so it's already cold when we empty the house fridge next day.

The local Midlands Dometic guy was called Malcolm Bolt who lived at Northampton but I believe he retired in 2013/14 - I know Mark (of CLS fame) was looking to become our local Dometic engineer but whether he did or not I dunno since we haven't had another issue since just after we had it (the flue got bunged up very quickly - possibly because we had it constantly turned up too high - turns out they work colder on a LOWER setting when it's hot weather! especially on Gas) We had rung Hayes, who had said to bring it in and they'd get Malcolm out to it - so we said we'd ring him (we already had, but his Ansafone said he was on his holidays!) when he came back and he came and did it on our drive.

If you aren't very close indeed to your dealer - when you ring them to tell them - get whoever the engineer is to come to you, same as we did, I should and save yourselves a journey.

OP
OP
CeeJay13

CeeJay13

Free Member
Sep 16, 2015
The North of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Thanks sedge, Hayes is our dealer and we need to go see them anyway about something else. They have always been helpful.

I am just seeing if there are others affected as these trays are expensive to replace if this becomes an ongoing problem (ÂŁ24+ ea.). If it does turn out to be a design problem, then this is something that Dometic should address. If not then it could just be a bad batch, but still needs addressing.

Our fridge is one of the newer 'slim' style types.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back