ROAD TAX (1 Viewer)

Nov 4, 2014
blackpool
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
I thought when you change your moterhome. You can't retain your road tax. I received a letter. Today sat .from DVLA.because l have a cherished number plate. and having a retention certificate. that anew registration will be v5c. This what confused. (very easy to do )me. Your currant vehicle tax and mot certificate will remain valid until .their expiry dates . this is July . new motor home due 1march(n):unsure:(n)

Aug 31, 2015
Huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt, AS Winchcombe
Exp
since 2013
Have you taken your cherished number off a current vehicle and put it on retention ready fro your new MH? If so they will mean that your current vehicle will be sent a new V5c with a normal number plate and that any road tax you have on your current vehicle will be valid till expiry even though its details have changed. they will have swapped the details held on database from your cherished number to the new normal number plate. Road tax is not transferrable to another person. You arent doing that.

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Last year when about to change my MH I put my cherished number on retention on-line.
I was given the original number back. When I bought my new one the dealer sent off the documents, I got a refund based on the time remaining. I believe ?? the VED stayed on the MH with the original number until sold. The VED didn't carry across with cherished number.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 31, 2015
Huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt, AS Winchcombe
Exp
since 2013
I think what the DVLA mean is 'your vehicle excise duty will remain valid until their expiry dates unless the vehicle is sold prior to that in which case normal rules will apply' . It is still the same vehicle that the OP taxed, it is just receiving another registration number. when you take a vehicle back off a cherished plate but still own the vehicle you dont need to get a new MOT or tax, as they change them for you (they used to send out a new tax disc with the new number plate on but obviously dont do that now), they just tell you it is taxed and tested till expiry.

OP
OP
Marvic
Nov 4, 2014
blackpool
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Hello hel999. Not yet but the dealer. Sent me number plates though the pos..t to put on my moterhome that is part exchange. for 1 march. Letter states like will receive.a replacement.log book .showing new regulations number and new retention certificate for new vehicle. which to send to dealer .to send to to DVLA. To register new vehicle

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
I thought when you change your moterhome. You can't retain your road tax. I received a letter. Today sat .from DVLA.because l have a cherished number plate. and having a retention certificate. that anew registration will be v5c. This what confused. (very easy to do )me. Your currant vehicle tax and mot certificate will remain valid until .their expiry dates . this is July . new motor home due 1march(n):unsure:(n)
All down to interpretation, your tax and MOT will be valid for the MH on the revised number, (new V5 will be issued), when you notify them of sale you will get a refund, you will have to arrange new VED for new vehicle.

EDIT: Put in your revised number for your MH, you will see it is taxed and carries valid MOT
https://www.vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back