Free Member
Nov 7, 2013
east yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chausson flash
Exp
since 2012
And the haggis is sitting in the fridge, I skinned it and now don't think I should have? Do I now put it in the oven or a pan of water with some nips whatever the hell they are. Or just take it outside and give it a descent burial.

Aug 31, 2015
Huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt, AS Winchcombe
Exp
since 2013
I wrapped mine in foil and then cooked it in an oven dish with a bit of water in the bottom. I left mine intact but im guessing as long as it is cooked thoroughly and wrapped in foil to hold it together it should be fine. I think you can slice it up too and cook it in the microwave so all is not lost just because it is skinned.

Reactions: kcy
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Shouldn't have skinned it unless you are going to microwave it. We always microwave ours as its a lot quicker but we eat the southern softies vegetarian ones not the catfood ones so not sure if they microwave well or not!!!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Put it in the microwave until heated thoroughly and serve with mash, sweed / turnip and a good helping of whisky. Then have some more whisky to help remember the good times :)

OP
OP
kcy

kcy

Free Member
Nov 7, 2013
east yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chausson flash
Exp
since 2012
The packet told me to skin the bugger

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
The packet told me to skin the bugger
Haggis is the original 'boil in the bag' food.

Now its out of the 'bag' dont boil it, even in foil.....You'll end up with a plate of runny slurry.
Though maybe you could steam it but it will still be a bit damp.

Deleted User
Can't you deep fry it at the same time as the mars bar starter?

OP
OP
kcy

kcy

Free Member
Nov 7, 2013
east yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chausson flash
Exp
since 2012
Shouldn't have skinned it unless you are going to microwave it. We always microwave ours as its a lot quicker but we eat the southern softies vegetarian ones not the catfood ones so not sure if they microwave well or not!!!!
Oooooh please, wish you haven't said that. I never eat anything with a list of ingredients. This was a present ! And I'm up to a challenge and my OH eats tripe and other stuff I wouldn't know how to cook.

Franck

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 10, 2014
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
13 years
If you haven't got any neeps to hand, mashed carrots do just as nicely.

You do know you can make a sporran out of the skin don't you?!

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
They are much nicer if you roast them, and the skin needs to be left outside for a few weeks before it grows enough fur to be a decent sporran........

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Isle of Dogs, but mostly Artola Spain.
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
The word is NEEPS....aka, turnips.
Swede will also pass muster.
Either one mashed and served with mashed spud.
Having cooked a few Neeps for the Burns night celebration, I can assure you that Neeps are Swede not Turnip!!
Had I made the mistake of confusing Neeps with Turnips and presented the same on Burns Night, to my Scottish cousins I might not be writing this now.

:cooler:

OP
OP
kcy

kcy

Free Member
Nov 7, 2013
east yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chausson flash
Exp
since 2012
Having cooked a few Neeps for the Burns night celebration, I can assure you that Neeps are Swede not Turnip!!
Had I made the mistake of confusing Neeps with Turnips and presented the same on Burns Night, to my Scottish cousins I might not be writing this now.

And the difference being?

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
And the difference being?
A Turnip has white flesh and a Swede has yellow flesh.

Apparently the word "Neeps" is short for New Turnip, which is a Turnip crossed with Kale, also known as Swede!

Last edited:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Put it in the microwave until heated thoroughly and serve with mash, sweed / turnip and a good helping of whisky. Then have some more whisky to help remember the good times :)
Then have some more whisky to try and forget the taste of the haggis :rofl::rofl::imoutahere:

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
I love Burns Night! Not just for the food and Whiskey but also for the address to the ladies and the reply.
Each year it is a challenge for those nominated, to come up with something new, which also has to be humorous!

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I can assure you that Neeps are Swede not Turnip!!
So why arent they called weeds then ?
also known as Swede!
Which is what i said....a turnip.

A swedish turnip, posh name is rutabaga
In Scotland, it is known as turnip, and in Scots as tumshie or neep.

But whatever, mashed carrot is no substitute for either. :D

Aug 31, 2015
Huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt, AS Winchcombe
Exp
since 2013
stop it now! you are making me so hungry and we have cupboards like mother Hubbards here at home at the moment :( . I love haggis and turnips/swedes. You are making me want to jump in the MH and head up to Scotland.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
And the haggis is sitting in the fridge, I skinned it and now don't think I should have? Do I now put it in the oven or a pan of water with some nips whatever the hell they are. Or just take it outside and give it a descent burial.
I hope you have removed the lead shot or was it roadkill?:wink:

OP
OP
kcy

kcy

Free Member
Nov 7, 2013
east yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chausson flash
Exp
since 2012
stop it now! you are making me so hungry and we have cupboards like mother Hubbards here at home at the moment :( . I love haggis and turnips/swedes. You are making me want to jump in the MH and head up to Scotland.
Scarborough is closer, we eat at 6:00

parknride

Free Member
Jan 21, 2014
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1988
If you have skinned the poor thing you could try slicing it (if it hasn't fallen apart) and shallow frying it in very little oil. (Cut the legs off first) But you must have it with a wee dram

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Can cook it lots of ways, traditional is to boil it in the skin, this year was doing a veggie one as well so boiled meat one (wrappes in foil) did veggie one also wrapped infoil in the oven. the boiled one came out better but possibly because it was 'proper' haggis. Have cooked them in the microwave, but that is my least favoured method. I like to fry slices, no added fat oil , in a non stick pan. Have bought more haggis in england than i ever did in Scotland. most supermarkets sell them and Morrisons seems to have them most of the time.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Very nice with some whisky sauce.
first raid husband/partner/whoever's single malt, hide chosen bottle and hope he doesn't miss it
put double cream in pan gently heat, add whisky, dijon and wholegrain mustards, give it a good stir and there you are.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Very nice with some whisky sauce.
first raid husband/partner/whoever's single malt, hide chosen bottle and hope he doesn't miss it
put double cream in pan gently heat, add whisky, dijon and wholegrain mustards, give it a good stir and there you are.
NOOOOOOO! Please don't use single malt or any good whisky for a sauce

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
If it's been skinned I would heat it in the oven. Generally they are boiled with skin on and then served at the table where they are stabbed - after it has squeaked you know it's dead and edible :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back