Free Member
Apr 13, 2009
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Only few months!
I have been looking for a drive away awning, and have seen a Movelite xl and a Kyham motordome. Do any of you campers out there have a drive away awning? We would really appreciate some advice. The Movelite xl is much cheaper than the Kyham but is it inferior??? Our motorhome is a coach built one.

Your comments please.:winky:

Cheers xx

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Hi,
get ready for a can of worms when pappajohn comes home:ROFLMAO:

I have the movelite xl. My wife forces me to put it up by beating me with a stick untill I have done so. It takes me 10 mins to put up :Blush: although other funsters seem to think my watch is wrong:Doh:

It weighs just 13kg, and the advantages are as follows. We are a family of 4 and a large dog (i mean large) it gives us so much living space its untrue. Its great in the summer as we have aquired a blow up air bed from Patrick (member on here) and now inflate it and leave in the awning. The kids then sleep on it and think its great. Its much better in the wind if you put it up properly. I never use it if we are stopping for just one night.

disadvantages are-
Its hard to put it up at first.
Its hard to get back in the bag :Angry:
it's a pain in the arxe.

However all in all we are pleased with it, although we use the throw over straps which someone commented looked like we were tie-ing down our van. check my blog out for some pics of it.
Papajohn may have one for sale.:winky:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
Drive away awning

Hi,

We too have used a Movelite XL for the last twu seasons, and the assembly time reduces the more times it is assembled.

We also considered the Kyham motordrome, it is heavier, and it could be said stronger, however, we found it could not be used with our Bessy E760. The width of the entrance tunnel did not allow the locker to be opened, so that discounted it, no such problem with the Movelite. It does bleach in the sun, but its advantages outway sun bleach.:Cool:

We also put it up for stays of 5 or more days, roll up the internal wall, and you have a 4 x 3 metre area, very useful.:thumb:

Nomadic

Upvote 0

MaureenD

Free Member
Jan 15, 2008
South Wales Vallys
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since October 07 but Caravanning since 1972
We have one for sale on Classifieds bought it last year when we had an Auto trail M/H but it don't fit our new m/h as the habitation door is right behind the drivers door so we have to come out of the m/h and into the awning (Not practicable) also the tie down ropes come over the habitation door.
Maureen

Upvote 0

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We bought a Khyam Motordome Excelsior 3 years ago and have been very pleased with it.

We use it for extra space at certain times, rather than as a drive-away.

Graham

Upvote 0

geofliz

Free Member
Feb 3, 2008
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
L P Coachbuilt
Exp
3 years. 29 as a tugger
We also have the Movelite X L and also have to go outside to get into it. We do not find that a problem because we can still cook in it, eat in it and sit and. relax in it. We have had it for 3 years and would not be without it. Also it means we can leave chairs etc in it if we are on site and want to go out. :thumb:

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
get ready for a can of worms when pappajohn comes home

Aaaaagh!!!!!

says it all dunnit?::bigsmile:

actually it isnt a bad bit of kit once you get it erected.

as haganap says....

disadvantages are-
it's a pain in the arxe.

but once erected it is soooo useful.:thumb:

i also used the throw over straps but iv since bought a drive-away kit so it may be a little easier.

i did time paul at the fishing meet and it took 11 or 13 mins for basic erection then extra time for anchoring it down.

definately not a one man job getting it folded up and back in the bag though:Angry: i can see a nylon holdall / tote bag on the shopping list.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dshague

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
20 years
we have one yes it can be a pain in the butt .but when you need to sit on your own with a tinny and a good book you cant beet it .:Smile:

Upvote 0

Elvis

Free Member
Jun 13, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since Nov 2008
We also have the Movelite X L and also have to go outside to get into it. We do not find that a problem because we can still cook in it, eat in it and sit and. relax in it. We have had it for 3 years and would not be without it. Also it means we can leave chairs etc in it if we are on site and want to go out. :thumb:

Sorry but what is the point if you have to go outside to get in it ??? You may just as well buy a Gazebo - cheaper :Doh:

Upvote 0

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Sorry but what is the point if you have to go outside to get in it ??? You may just as well buy a Gazebo - cheaper :Doh:

But you don't have to go outside to get in to it?
well certainly not in mine anyhow. the idea is we can throw everything in it and go out in the van in just 10 mins, :thumb:

Upvote 0

JaG

Oct 30, 2008
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2008
Movelite

We have the Movelite and, as we have a Fiamma awning we use that with the sides attached, then put the Movelite on the other side of the van. Our grandaughter slept in it at Skegness last week. I think it's my turn is over the New Year! Yes, it does take a bit of time but it is useful for both sleeping and storage. Mine came with an internal bedroom as a promotion offer.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

We have one for sale on Classifieds bought it last year when we had an Auto trail M/H but it don't fit our new m/h as the habitation door is right behind the drivers door so we have to come out of the m/h and into the awning (Not practicable) also the tie down ropes come over the habitation door.
Maureen

But you don't have to go outside to get in to it?
well certainly not in mine anyhow. the idea is we can throw everything in it and go out in the van in just 10 mins, :thumb:

see above posts Paul...explains all.

Upvote 0

The Wild Ones

Free Member
Jan 4, 2009
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Fledgelings
I have been looking for a drive away awning, and have seen a Movelite xl and a Kyham motordome. Do any of you campers out there have a drive away awning? We would really appreciate some advice. The Movelite xl is much cheaper than the Kyham but is it inferior??? Our motorhome is a coach built one.

Cheers xx

We bought the Royal Blenheim XL drive away awning and used it for the 1st time at the june stratford rv show, which actually put it through its paces, because as other folk here will testify it absoluted chucked it down at the week end. Not one leak!! :Smile:

Best deal was at Camperlands at £129

Link RemovedLink Removed

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Deleted User
spongy

Cheers xx

I bought a movelite xl last year and have'nt managed to put it up yet. anything stronger than a light breeze and it blows away. I'll sell it to you if you like. We never seem to stay anywhere long enough to use an awning anyway.
Happy swearing

Upvote 0
OP
OP
fbuey

fbuey

Free Member
Apr 13, 2009
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Only few months!
i bought a movelite xl last year and have'nt managed to put it up yet. Anything stronger than a light breeze and it blows away. I'll sell it to you if you like. We never seem to stay anywhere long enough to use an awning anyway.
Happy swearing

how much??!!

Upvote 0

tarmacsurfer2000

Free Member
Aug 4, 2009
Funster No
Hello all... In case anyone is interested in the Movlite XL, I have just bought one from here http://www.jacksonscamping.com/?pc=/product/3378/ They have both colours and the 'Drive away kit' for Fiamma and Omnistor roll out awnings... £180 for the tent and £15 for the drive away kit...also managed to get 10% off that too as my mate is a Captain in the boys brigade ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:. If you are, or know of someone in the scouts/brownies/boys brigade etc etc then it is well worth it! It ended up at just under £175 for the both:winky::Smile::winky:

Upvote 0
G

Gyro

Deleted User
Movelite XL

Cheers xx
I had one of these earlier this season but sent it back due to ingress of rain.
The fabric itself is extremely waterproof and the extra space is useful....but when raining , light or heavy, water found its way through the zippers soaking my chairs etc. Due to the shape of this awning this means that usable floor area was reduced by about 400mm alround :Angry:

Upvote 0

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
A drive away awning is of no use in this day and age of thieves what can you leave in it why do you need it, you have a motorhome for travelling not sitting on a site, it seems to me there are a lot of ex tuggers out there who can't quite shake off the bonds and maternal ties to the CC.
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
A drive away awning is of no use in this day and age of thieves what can you leave in it why do you need it, you have a motorhome for travelling not sitting on a site, it seems to me there are a lot of ex tuggers out there who can't quite shake off the bonds and maternal ties to the CC.

Point taken Roger, but some of us have rapidly growing earlyteenagers that we want thrown out the van.::bigsmile:

And it's not the ex tuggers, for me it brings home camping.

Upvote 0

Spacerunner

Free Member
Apr 7, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp

Seems to me if you spend all your time travelling all you see is road and campsites. I like to explore the areas where i go to.

Having a small awning is very useful as a halfway house for storing muddy boots and wet outer clothing. Its got nothing to do with caravanning, and if it did...so what!

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Seems to me if you spend all your time travelling all you see is road and campsites. I like to explore the areas where i go to.

Having a small awning is very useful as a halfway house for storing muddy boots and wet outer clothing. Its got nothing to do with caravanning, and if it did...so what!

Useful in winter too :Cool::thumb:

Link Removed

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
get ready for a can of worms when pappajohn comes home

Aaaaagh!!!!!

says it all dunnit?::bigsmile:

actually it isnt a bad bit of kit once you get it erected.

as haganap says....

disadvantages are-
it's a pain in the arxe.

but once erected it is soooo useful.:thumb:

i also used the throw over straps but iv since bought a drive-away kit so it may be a little easier.

i did time paul at the fishing meet and it took 11 or 13 mins for basic erection then extra time for anchoring it down.

definately not a one man job getting it folded up and back in the bag though:Angry: i can see a nylon holdall / tote bag on the shopping list.

i have used mine since and used the (incorrect) driveaway kit......
certainly far easier and a lot quicker when you fix the 'link' to the awning rail first.

beware of the kit as there are two versions available and the fabric joining strip on the one i bought doesnt fit the rail.
should be 4mm on the rail side and 6mm on the awning side but both sides are 6mm beading:Angry:
the one i bought will fit an RV rail as the yanks use 8mm channel.....so iv been told anyway.

Upvote 0

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967

Ooooooooooh. the point I was badly trying to make was that a motorhome is different to caravaning, with a caravan you always have to come back to it, with a motorhome when you leave the site you can choose to go on someplace else without going back. Personally, as someone who is physically unable to walk a lot I do all my sight seeing from the cab and sitting on a caravan site would bore me to tears. But thankfully we are all different. Many people who come from a caravaning background are confirmed site siters/walkers rather than tourers, that is the point I was trying to make however badly. Simply trying to point out that freedom that a motorhome gives you. OK.
Just for the record I have never stayed on a site other than at a show. and hate caravans with a vengence, they are cold, flimsy, have no character and clog the roads for no good reason. Travel trailers excepted. And can only be used in conjunction with sites.

Upvote 0

pneumatician

Free Member
Feb 22, 2009
Burntwood Staffs
Funster No
MH
La Strada,
Exp
since 2000
Drive Away Awning

We have a Sunncamp Drive away. It is basically a small Frame Tent with a rear that rolls up when attached to the van. We pitch it when on site for three days or more, it takes me about an hour to pitch and install the cooking and dining parephenalia ( I never cook inside the van ).

It attaches to the van at the Fiamma awning face plate Slot using a webbing strip and figure 8 connector. When complete the connection is virtually weather proof the only weak link being under the van.

It takes probably 10 minutes to re-arrange all of the kit into the awning seal it up and drive away. Re-connecting is about the same. Alignment is done by simply aligning the wheels with a peice of string and the front hub centre with a tent peg. :thumb:

Steve

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back