Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
What a rip-off! All it's gonna mean is that anyone needing a larger engined vehicle/one that produces higher emissions, will have no reason to change them to reduce their tax. So we'll end up with MORE high emission older cars on the road.

Of course it also means that those who've chosen low emission cars to help the environment have been idiots as they'll pay the same as the highest ones!

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Of course it also means that those who've chosen low emission cars to help the environment have been idiots as they'll pay the same as the highest ones!
Fortunately not, but I bet there's a helluvalotta cars sold just before April next year!

"This tax information and impact note affects purchasers of brand new cars from 1 April 2017 onwards."

"This measure reforms Vehicle Excise Duty (VED) for cars registered from 1 April 2017 onwards. First Year Rates of VED will vary according to the carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions of the vehicle. A flat Standard Rate (SR) of £140 will apply in all subsequent years, except for zero emission cars which will pay £0. Cars with a list price in excess of £40,000 will incur a supplement of £310 on their SR for the first 5 years in which a SR is paid. All cars registered before 1 April 2017 will remain in the current VED system, which will not change."

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/vehicle-excise-duty

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Fortunately not, but I bet there's a helluvalotta cars sold just before April next year!

..."All cars registered before 1 April 2017 will remain in the current VED system, which will not change."

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/vehicle-excise-duty
Thank goodness you spotted that little sentence at the bottom of the paragraph (I'm still half asleep and using my laptop in bed :D ) ... it should really have been made much clearer earlier in the article ... :rolleyes:

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
As for helping the environment I think think that it's a myth that low emmision engines will do anything near what is required to combat"global",warming... One aircraft puts more pollution into the air in one translantic trip than 1000 Chelsea tractors in a month. And of course one volcano spouts out so much that it makes our puny attempts to alter what is IMO a natural phenomena,you only have to look at historical weather patterns to see that only a few years ago the Thames was totally frozen over in London. The doom mongers at that time predicted a new ice age...and so it goes on and on and on. Its normal for weather patterns to change .

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
:( So £30 pa road tax goes up to £140 ... so those with the money may as well buy environmental UNfriendly vehicles which they feel look sport ..

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
.... don't ... you will make me feel motorhomer guilty. :)

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
They are raising it because the manufacturers answered the call and made cars more efficient and the tax take fell. Time to move the goal posts.

Fortunately it will only affect those buying brand new vehicles. Us motorhomers who all pay a fixed price of aprox £200 (can't be bothered to look up the exact figure) will not get the new £140 mark on our existing vans.

Oct 20, 2014
Wicklow Town, Ireland
Funster No
MH
2020 Avantgarde 175
Exp
A good few years
Broken Link Removed

Count yourselves lucky to be paying such a meagre rate compared to us here in Ireland.....A 2.5L car cost me €1080.00 a year....Yes...you are reading that right!... F**king scandalous really:mad:

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
I found the following on another forum which seems to suggests that if the certificate of conformity has no CO2 datum then the vehicle might be placed into the PLG or PHG VED class, does anybody have an opinion on this?

"Historically, if a motor-caravan’s CofC did carry a CO2 datum (as was the case with VW’s “California” model) the DVLA chose to ignore this and assigned the vehicle to the PLG or PHG VED Class according to the motor-caravan’s MTPLM. More recently the DVLA has said that, if an up-to-3500kg-MTPLM motor-caravan’s CofC carries a CO2 datum that figure will be used and, instead of the vehicle being classed as PLG, it will be placed in the appropriate emissions-related VED band."

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I found the following on another forum which seems to suggests that if the certificate of conformity has no CO2 datum then the vehicle might be placed into the PLG or PHG VED class, does anybody have an opinion on this?

"Historically, if a motor-caravan’s CofC did carry a CO2 datum (as was the case with VW’s “California” model) the DVLA chose to ignore this and assigned the vehicle to the PLG or PHG VED Class according to the motor-caravan’s MTPLM. More recently the DVLA has said that, if an up-to-3500kg-MTPLM motor-caravan’s CofC carries a CO2 datum that figure will be used and, instead of the vehicle being classed as PLG, it will be placed in the appropriate emissions-related VED band."

Yes that is more or less correct. There is a problem with VW t5's around 2006-2008 in that the earlier ones had a co2 figure &were penalised with a very high ved. So ,perfectly legally, VW stopped given the emissions figure which then meant that the vehicles then went in to far lower ved payments. I remember it coming up on the VW T4/5 forums and someone walking away from a camper he was about to buy due to the ved being 3 times the years before or after. Anyone thinking of buying one around that age should be aware of it.

alfandM

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
sweden
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
There's only one thing left and thats to buy a enviromentaly friendly VW :ROFLMAO: .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back