Mousy's Valentine weekend sans Moho in Bruges.. (1 Viewer)

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
It started with a very kind offer from @DavidG58 of an unused tunnel crossing, we decided to leave the Moho at home and stay in a Hotel. We'd been to Bruges years ago and with Martins sister living in Belguim we very quickly had a plan. A cheeky weekend away which happened to fall on Valentine's Day :rolleyes:

I acted as chauffeur so Martin could work as we made the 4 1/2 hour trip to Dover, it felt strange to be going away in a car, we arrived at the tunnel at least an hour early, which normally isn't a problem, but we really missed the lack of on board facilities...no kettle, no fridge...we sat looking at each other until Martin jumped out to enquire about crossing early. 10 minutes later we were on the train!

Again it felt weird not to be in the van, a much lower ceiling on the train, no cheese and pickle sandwiches, no loo, I was really missing the Moho! An hour later we were in Bruges, 3 trips around the one way system and over the same bridge at least twice to find the hotel. Finally realising the advantage of being in a car! I think there is an aire in Bruges but I hope it's on the outskirts, no way would our Hymer fit in these streets.

We woke up to the sound of a chiming clock and church bells. I thought I heard the clip clop of horses feet, turning to Martin I said "do you think that's a horse and carriage?", "well, he replied I don't think it's a man outside with a hollow coconut!"

The weather was gorgeous..sunshine and not too chilly. Living in Wales we haven't seen the sun for months so this dryness was welcome.

A boat ride on the canals..

image.jpeg

Bruges is just full of beautiful old buildings..
image.jpeg

A quirky old bike..
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

When I asked Martin if he fancied some anal action he nearly choked on his Belguim waffle until he noticed this poster..

image.jpeg

We spent the day just wandering around in the sunshine, really enjoying getting lost in the back streets, Bruges is busy even on a chilly February day but with some lovely meals and copious sampling of the local beer we've had a great day.

Off to Ghent tomorrow.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Valentines Day is the 14th sunday:?:)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
What a surprise to see an unexpected post from Bruges - have you found any lace Pashminas? ;)

Have a wonderful weekend - you deserve it - plenty of Waffles, Belgian chocolate, and beer! xx

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Have a great weekend! Chips,chocolate and beer what's not to like!!we went after watching the film "In Bruges " so could spot the locations where it was filmed! ( weird film though!).
Love the photos ! Ours were all out of focus I blame the camera Rob blames the beer!

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
and blue skies as well :) we should have stayed north, possibly only had 4 hours blue sky so far in 7 nights in France :(

Have a great time

David and Bev xx

Nik

Oct 29, 2014
Cornish exile in Surrey
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
1 year
Hi Mousey.
Hope you have a great time. This is our favorite restaurant, sells the very best ribs amongst other lovely meals set in quite a quirky place, we love it. Just a short walk from the main square.
Gran Kaffee De Passage, Dweersstraat 26, 8000 Brugge, Belgium
enjoy
regards
Nik

OP
OP
Mousy

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
and blue skies as well :) we should have stayed north, possibly only had 4 hours blue sky so far in 7 nights in France :(

Have a great time

David and Bev xx

Oh dear David, another blue sky day for us, hope the sun makes its way to you. We are off to Ghent today, will report back later.

Yes Anthea, lots of chips, chocolate and beer is being consumed, well it would be rude not too!

OP
OP
Mousy

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Th
Hi Mousey.
Hope you have a great time. This is our favorite restaurant, sells the very best ribs amongst other lovely meals set in quite a quirky place, we love it. Just a short walk from the main square.
Gran Kaffee De Passage, Dweersstraat 26, 8000 Brugge, Belgium
enjoy
regards
Nik

Thanks for that Nic, we will try and book for tonight.
We are staying at the crowne plaza hotel just off the Burg. So a drunken stagger home for us.

OP
OP
Mousy

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
We went to Ghent today to meet up with Martins sister and her husband, they live near Brussels. They booked us all into this restaurant

image.jpeg

It was a lovely building an old fish pack house (hence the name).

We had oysters, which I love but always worry I'm going to see them again later....

It was abit posh for taking photos of the food so here's a pic of the bathroom sink....in the shape of a mussel shell

image.jpeg

Only took me 10 mins to work out the tap is operated by a foot pedal:doh:

image.jpeg

We had a great lunch of too many courses and it was lovely to catch up with all the family news. They both laughed at Martins attempts to speak French and explained that unless he spoke fluent Flemmish (he doesn't) then it's best to speak English!
They both nearly pissed themselves laughing when the waiter came back and Martin started speaking English but with a French accent...he sounded like Peter Sellers in the pink panther, but also weirdly Jewish. :eek:
I told them that at lunch yesterday the waiter thought we were Norwegian. :D

Sadly our run of good weather has ended and we came out to rain, so a swift trip back to Bruges..where it is also raining but that's ok as the rugby is on so we are happy in our suite (did I mention we were up graded?)

Before we came away I got into a panic thinking that all the restaurants would be booked for valentines meals and we would be wandering around Bruges in the cold holding onto our empty tummies, pressing our little faces against the Windows peering longingly at people eating. So we asked the hotel if they could book a table somewhere for us tonight.

"No problem" they said "we have made a reservation for you at ....." (Something foreign sounding).

After our enormous lunch we rang down to cancel, just as well as I've goggled it and the set menu was £120 each! Without wine!

Frites and beer round the corner later then!

Nic, we tried to get into your place but they are fully booked, however, if we go at 9.00pm they may be able to do something for us, so we will see how we feel later.

Wales are playing well 27/16 at 75:24 so all in all another good day. (y)

image.jpeg

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
The Aire in Bruges is just off the centre at the side of the canal it`s really nice and clean the price goes up on March 1st as it is summer season
(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

OP
OP
Mousy

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
The Aire in Bruges is just off the centre at the side of the canal it`s really nice and clean the price goes up on March 1st as it is summer season
(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

Do you know how much it is? Will be wasp? Thanks. We would love to come back in the Moho (avoid driving in the old town though!).

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
We're at the aire now and it's fine. No issues at all. Google thinks it's a 15-20 minute walk to the middle of town.
There's a Carrefour, a Dominos Pizza and a bar/brasserie place about 400 yards away.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Do you know how much it is? Will be wasp? Thanks. We would love to come back in the Moho (avoid driving in the old town though!).

€19 a night now and €25 in high season.

There's water and 6A electric.

OP
OP
Mousy

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
We're at the aire now and it's fine. No issues at all. Google thinks it's a 15-20 minute walk to the middle of town.
There's a Carrefour, a Dominos Pizza and a bar/brasserie place about 400 yards away.

Enjoy yourselves, let's hope the weather improves, although we are having a great time regardless...aided by the local beer!

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Enjoy yourselves, let's hope the weather improves, although we are having a great time regardless...aided by the local beer!

Weather forecast is crap tomorrow and better from Monday. (y)

ojibway

Free Member
Jul 17, 2012
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005
We were there in November, stayed on the aire - nearly full on Sunday, nearly empty on Monday!
Short walk into the town and no-one asks what language you speak - they speak to you in English regardless:rolleyes:
We will go back this year, maybe when it's abit warmer!
Enjoy the rest of your stay.

OP
OP
Mousy

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Another lovely day in Bruges, although the weather has been cold with a few showers. We went out to explore the unseen Bruges today and as you can see we had the streets to ourselves.

image.jpeg

Came across the rather plain church..

image.jpeg

Which was amazing inside, never know if it's OK to take photos in church so these were taken with great stealth.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

After an unusual hot chocolate (which was lovely), time for more walking..

image.jpeg

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Lovely photos! That's a proper hot choccie with Belguim chocolate ! Delicious! glad you are having a great time!

OP
OP
Mousy

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Every street here is full of something interesting to see, from unusual door knockers, lace in the Windows, lovely doors and gable ends, you have to keep remembering to look up. We love it here and will definitely be back.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

And here is somewhere for us to come back for..

image.jpeg

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Did you find any relics?......looks far too empty for our liking....... no queues, no funerals, no 'Turin Shroud', but good practice for our return trip to France this year.... looks like you are having a fab time - continue to enjoy xx

OP
OP
Mousy

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Did you find any relics?......looks far too empty for our liking....... no queues, no funerals, no 'Turin Shroud', but good practice for our return trip to France this year.... looks like you are having a fab time - continue to enjoy xx

Ger there is a basilica with a relic of blood, it's shown every day between 2-6... But you have to pay....and I'm with Martin!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back