"First Aiders"... Do we have any ???? (1 Viewer)

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Just a thought............. As a lot of us are getting on a bit, and you never know what is waiting round the corner...

In view of how big some of the Rally`s & Meet`s are getting..

Would any "Trained first aiders" be willing to display and offer their services should the need arise.

I have the chance of a half a dozen (6) or so of the sign`s below.... they are sticky backed vinyl and would need sticking onto an appropriate board with a wooden spike.... (The same as This spot is reserved type thing)..

To be displayed outside your vehicle if you are trained and can offer any help...

A lot of members would not know who to turn to should the occasion arise..

Just a thought...

images

The signs are approx 6 inches square, and as said sticky backed, just peel the back off and affix to an appropriate board..

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I used to be but lost it when retired....I always carry a saw so can lop of limbs if necessary. You will need to provide the anesthetic of your choice...I prefer whisky. I will need a half bottle as a bit rusty there days..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Both myself and wifey are trained first aiders, however, both of us have rescinded that status due to the litigious society that we live in! Namely that should a trained first aider, who is in possession of a current certification, fail to do something, then they can be sued! This doesn't mean we wouldn't administer first aid to someone in need. We do carry first aid equipment in the van at all times.
A sad indictment of the times we live in :-(

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
I wonder if at the bigger longer rallies there might be an opportunity to have a basic first aid or CPR session organised?
If there was interest?

Thing is about first aid, not cut fingers, is that you really can't do any harm but without intervention the causality might die.

It's not about certification, its about confidence.
Stop the bleeding, immobilise a fracture, keep a heart pumping until the emergency services arrive.

Nov 2, 2014
somerset
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Both myself and wifey are trained first aiders, however, both of us have rescinded that status due to the litigious society that we live in! Namely that should a trained first aider, who is in possession of a current certification, fail to do something, then they can be sued! This doesn't mean we wouldn't administer first aid to someone in need. We do carry first aid equipment in the van at all times.
Same as

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
another here that used to be a certified first aider. let it lapse a few years back. still willing to help in an emergency though

JFD

Apr 9, 2015
Crawley Down, West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote Aventura G730
Exp
since 2014!
Trouble is, First Aid qualifications seem to go out of date so quickly, and techniques change frequently!!

When I used to have many of the neighbourhood kids around ( the pool was a magnet!)' I used to insist on a responsible adult attending with offspring, but it turned out that I was the only qualified First Aider, which was not a good situation!

A quick call to the St John guys resulted in a free (but contributions welcomed) first aid couse (just a couple of hours) for all and sundry, held at my place. Perhaps you could arrange such at the beginning of your rally, to help keep folk up to date and 'raring to go', and avoid the need for identified First Aiders?

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I've found there don't seem to be as many first aid courses available as there used to be. Sitting in the chiropractors today I spotted a leaflet for a first aid on children day course which I thought might be useful. But the courses at local colleges don't seem to be there any more.
Although I think in an emergency anyone with training would do their best to help, nothing is as good as an up to date refresher course . I just happened to do the best course I'd ever attended ( had to for work) just before I went to Africa for 4 months research/ work. So glad I did.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
I'm a first aider .
For various reason over the years I have been on a good number of first aid courses and refreshers, but like Daniel I am always concerned about the risk of litigation. For this reason I would not act as a formal first aider but would help if my skills were needed.
I think there are very few examples of this in this country.

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
I wonder if at the bigger longer rallies there might be an opportunity to have a basic first aid or CPR session organised?
If there was interest?

That's a really good idea. If someone suffers a cardiac arrest, waiting for an ambulance to arrive is no good - it will be too late. The unfortunate person needs CPR straight away. Compared to years ago many more people have a good idea of whats involved in giving CPR but more people need to be trained.

Paul

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Mo I wondered if camperfest have to have a first Aider on hand because they are organising the event? Although won't help if there is a crisis at night.

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
I did a pool lifeguard course about twenty five years ago. So of your near a puddle at a rally I might remember how to get you out. :eek:

Reactions: DBK

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
As I understand it from when I did 1st aid. If you do a 1st aid course through your employer for work your then covered by employers insurance whilst at work for doing 1st aid. If your at a rally or school fete this is seen as another business and your not covered for being a named 1st aide there. If you was driving in your car and saw a need to do 1st aid your ok as your not linked business wise, like wise if out for a walk etc. If you training was with St. John's and up to date they will back you as long as it's not for business only as a member of the public.

Reactions: DBK

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
Bit of an urban myth this one, nobody has ever had a claim brought against them.

Zoppydog

Deceased RIP
Jul 19, 2013
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
Since 2013
Just a thought............. As a lot of us are getting on a bit, and you never know what is waiting round the corner...

In view of how big some of the Rally`s & Meet`s are getting..

Would any "Trained first aiders" be willing to display and offer their services should the need arise.

I have the chance of a half a dozen (6) or so of the sign`s below.... they are sticky backed vinyl and would need sticking onto an appropriate board with a wooden spike.... (The same as This spot is reserved type thing)..

To be displayed outside your vehicle if you are trained and can offer any help...

A lot of members would not know who to turn to should the occasion arise..

Just a thought...

images

The signs are approx 6 inches square, and as said sticky backed, just peel the back off and affix to an appropriate board..
Both of us were NHS qualified practitioners so happy to display a sign.
We will be at Chester and York
Chris and Tony

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
I am a First Aid instructor, Have been for a long time both commercially and within the Fire Service. Just for the record, as a First Aider you cannot be sued for carrying out First Aid providing you do the things you have been trained to do. You do not have to carry out First Aid other than at work ( if you are First aid at work trained). There is no legal obligation to deliver First Aid to people other than at your place of work. However if you choose to help some one in need then remember there is no such thing as implied consent. Without consent we cannot touch a casualty. If consent is obtained and you deliver first aid as you have been trained to YOU CANNOT BE SUED. The only people that can be sued are Paramedics and Doctors as this is their primary role. It is not my/your primary role. I hope this clears up some of the common beliefs regarding carrying out first aid. I have carried out first aid many many times and not been sued yet. In fact all of the people I have helped have been most grateful.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
I am sure,those of you who posted about concerns,would give aid without a thought,come what may,training would kick in. I had to an "Induction"? course at ICI Wilton,prior to being allowed in to load, and was shown CPR techniques,years ago,also given a little plastic covered card with basic signs to look for,recovery positions and the compression ratios,this has lived in my wallet ever since,and although i would be scared stiff,in the event of nobody else about,would have a go.
So.......... Don't get ill when your near me...
Tea Bag

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
At a rally last year I discussed this with Jim and suggested that a first aid course was run at one or two of the rallies in 2016 cost would be paid by the individual and that a defibrillator was bought by MHF and posted to each event organizer and held at the reception area. I like the idea of @Broken Link Removed sign outside a MH as a point of contact. Also the "cover" thing is a bit of a urban myth as to date not one person has been taken to court. Last time I check ( I was a First Aid instructor until 4 years ago ) there is a 4 hour basic course that covers what we would need at any rally. Food for thought?

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
I am a First Aid instructor, Have been for a long time both commercially and within the Fire Service. Just for the record, as a First Aider you cannot be sued for carrying out First Aid providing you do the things you have been trained to do. You do not have to carry out First Aid other than at work ( if you are First aid at work trained). There is no legal obligation to deliver First Aid to people other than at your place of work. However if you choose to help some one in need then remember there is no such thing as implied consent. Without consent we cannot touch a casualty. If consent is obtained and you deliver first aid as you have been trained to YOU CANNOT BE SUED. The only people that can be sued are Paramedics and Doctors as this is their primary role. It is not my/your primary role. I hope this clears up some of the common beliefs regarding carrying out first aid. I have carried out first aid many many times and not been sued yet. In fact all of the people I have helped have been most grateful.
... I was once told of the "shortest ever court case" - myth or truth I don't know, but it works for me:

COMPLAINANT: He did CPR on me and broke my ribs!!! I want compensation!!!
MAGISTRATE (or JUDGE, whichever): Did you need CPR?
COMPLAINANT: Yes, they told me I'd died.
MAGISTRATE: Are you alive now?
COMPLAINANT: Yes...
MAGISTRATE: Case dismissed

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Would it not be nice to know what to do if your better half has a chest pain for no reason, suddenly falls to the ground or stops breathing and how to stop bleeding rather than hoping someone will come along who knows what to do.
As the age group of the average MH meet we attend is in the high 50's I think this is something we should address sooner rather than later. Worse case you are away in your MH with no one near you!
Find out if there is a course you can attend locally or fingers crossed we can start something here and then one day you might be able to help the one you love or me for that matter.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
At the Fun meet at the Shrewsbury show in 2012 I slipped or tripped and fell out of a show motorhome ( totally sober!) There was a paramedic on site. He worked for Lincolnshire Health Trust but on days off so worked at the show. He told me the big shows have to have a full paramedic these days, the days of the St John volunteers over as far as their insurance is concerned.
But again, I think if someone collapsed in front of you with obvious heart attack, choking, for example you'd do what you could while waiting for professional help to arrive.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back