Towing after losing license for medical reasons (1 Viewer)

Mar 2, 2015
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Lowline coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2000
Hi, after running the gauntlet of trying to decipher the wording on the DVLA website and trying to contact them (advice - don't do it!) I thought I'd ask my question here to see if anyone has any experience of our problem -

Hubby had a seizure on 10th December and, provided he doesn't have another, will hopefully get his driving license back after six months. We know he'll lose his C1 even though he passed his test before 1997 and will be restricted to 3500kg and we've resigned ourselves to having to change our lovely 4250kg Swift Bolero for a smaller van. We're also towers though - scooter on a side-loading trailer - and what I've been unable to find out is whether or not we'll still be able to tow on his renewed license. Or to be more accurate, whether we'll be able to tow *in addition to* the 3500kg (even if at a reduced limit of 750kg, making max of 4250kg in total) or if the total weight of both the van and trailer should be 3500kg.

I've read some threads here which seem to say that you retain your towing capacity after the age of 70 if you don't have a medical even if you lose your C1 driving category - but does the same thing apply to getting your license back if you've had it revoked for medical reasons?

Has anyone been in this position and can tell us what happened to them please?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
@Judge Mental might be able to help as he is restricted to 3500kg due to diabetes.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I suspect you will not know until he gets the licence, checks the Category entitlement, and the looks at the endorsements.

In theory a B licence ONLY covers a Vehicle to 3.5tonne. IF it (the licence) comes with a BE. Then Towing a Trailer in addition, so long as it (the trailer) does not exceed the mass of the Motor-home is legal, unless the Manufactures limit is lower. So Theoretically your Train can be 7.0tonne or a lesser figure dictated by the M-H manufacturer (in my case 5t).

I have in the recent past had reasonably quick reply from DVLA By E-Mail?

Pete

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
In theory a B licence ONLY covers a Vehicle to 3.5tonne.
Plus a trailer up to 750kg .......OR.....no more than 50% of the vehicles unladen weight whichever is least.
B+E covers heavier trailers up to the vehicle maximum train weight.
C1covers up to 7500kg with a 750kg trailer.
C1+E covers up to 7500kg with heavier trailer to a maxim train weight not exceeding 8250kg

Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
I have a restricted licence on medical grounds and lost my c1 category
Looking at my licence I still have my BE to tow
image.png

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
@Judge Mental might be able to help as he is restricted to 3500kg due to diabetes.

Sorry Mel but no help as I don't know re towing. Sure someone on here will know. I sympathize with the OP re DVLA as they are ignorant pigs. They suspended my license in October as I called them and said I'm coming off insulin. They never told me:(

Just had eyesight test silo should have it back eventually. Good news is it will not be restricted but still 3500, that does not bother me. If you want C1 you have apply just like a younger person.

All that said I feel reasonably confident towing will be allowed for the OP. Depending on capacity on new van. German vans lighter so will be more practical

Eddie

Edit: since I posted it looks like you may be OK

OP
OP
South_Wales_Lady
Mar 2, 2015
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Lowline coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2000
Thanks everyone for the speedy responses!! So it looks as if we'll be able to run a <=3500 van *plus* a trailer, which is what we want.

This is the bit I've found confusing on the DVLA website:

===============
Category B+E
You can drive a vehicle with a MAM of 3,500kg with a trailer.
===============

I wasn't sure if this meant the MAM referred to just the vehicle or the vehicle and trailer together.

Pete - I emailed the DVLA and they replied very quickly to say that they couldn't help and to direct me to another part of the DVLA website where the email link didn't work. Mailed back to the first lot to say this and all they did was send me that email link again. Doh!!

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Sorry Mel but no help as I don't know re towing. Sure someone on here will know. I sympathize with the OP re DVLA as they are ignorant pigs. They suspended my license in October as I called them and said I'm coming off insulin. They never told me:(

Just had eyesight test silo should have it back eventually. Good news is it will not be restricted but still 3500, that does not bother me. If you want C1 you have apply just like a younger person.

All that said I feel reasonably confident towing will be allowed for the OP. Depending on capacity on new van. German vans lighter so will be more practical

Eddie

Edit: since I posted it looks like you may be OK

In fact just checked my restricted 3 yearly license and still have my BE entitlement!. does that mean I can pull a Smart of a trailer:D

So looks like the OP will be OK.....

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I lost my C1+E but kept B+E which allows 3500kg gvw & a gtw up to 11000kgs and subject to the limit of the towing vehicle.

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
All good news ,but don't hold your breath about getting your license back very quickly...my son had a very small seizure ,lost his license, sorry to say they faffed about for three years even after the consultant said there little or no chance of another seizure..a d when he did get it back it was restricted and only a three year license to boot ..hope your application to get it back goes easier than my sons did..

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Anyone hazard a guess as to what a smart on trailer weighs plse. I asked on another thread but can't find it....

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Just checked and It was, but recent changes are if test passed before 2013 with B+E you can tow any size trailer :Eeek:
Not recent changes Larry.
Pre 1997 licence was the same.
The only restriction is the towing vehicles train weight....And that restriction cant be altered no matter what licence you hold or when test taken.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
The only restriction is the towing vehicles train weight....And that restriction cant be altered no matter what licence you hold or when test taken.

So gtw pre 1997 11,000 kgs then John (y)

JohnH

Free Member
Jan 5, 2009
Southport
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
+14
When I when I reached 70 I did not want the hassle of a medical so lost the C1 entitlement.
I can still drive a car/motorhome up to 3500kg and pull a trailer of equal weight. Obviously not a sensible thing to do.
So I drive a 7-seater Hyundai Santa Fe pulling a 1300kg caravan. They both come out at a total of 4200kg.
So I don't think you need to worry.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Anyone hazard a guess as to what a smart on trailer weighs plse. I asked on another thread but can't find it....
Kerb weight for a Smart ForTwo is aprox 750kg, and depending on trailer probably around 300kg, so 1050kg.

Deleted User

Wrong I am afraid, it takes seconds to check the facts with a google search.

Pre 19th Jan 2013 B&E can tow any trailer

Post 19th Jan 2013 limited to trailer mam of 3500kg

No mention now of 1997

Can't do the link or cut & paste on this tablet but just google licence categories.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Frayed knot.

Train weight is what the tow vehicle manufacturer dictates....nothing to do with a pre determined 'across the board' figure.

DVSA do not stipulate maximum trailer weight for B+E.
VWAlan explained it well.

7500kg Mitsubushi with a train of 11000kg
Downrate the truck to 3500kg but it retains the 11000kg train regardless of the lower gross weight.
Deduct the new gross ..3500kg.. from the train ..11000kg....leaves 7500kg
You can legally tow a 7500kg trailer behind a 3500kg truck.

As somebody once said.....the law is an ass.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Wrong I am afraid, it takes seconds to check the facts with a google search.

Post 19th Jan 2013 limited to trailer mam of 3500kg

No mention now of 1997

Can't do the link or cut & paste on this tablet but just google licence categories.

Thats what I got on googley

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

That is not possible.
The train weight of ANY vehicle CANNOT be exceeded under any circumstances.
So, a Ducato with a trailer allowance of 2000kg (5500kg train) can only tow max of 2000kg.....not a kilo more, which negates DVSAs 'any trailer' statement.

DVSA have a knack of badly wording the rules.

Deleted User
That is not possible.
The train weight of ANY vehicle CANNOT be exceeded under any circumstances.
So, a Ducato with a trailer allowance of 2000kg (5500kg train) can only tow max of 2000kg.....not a kilo more, which negates DVSAs 'any trailer' statement.

DVSA have a knack of badly wording the rules.

I would agree with the bad wording but there is a difference between a licence to drive and the legality of a combination under the construction and use regulations.

I would think that any statement on licence categories has the implication that the vehicle and trailer comply with the C&U ( ie weight) regulations.

Autowbars

Free Member
Dec 1, 2012
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
Since 2010
Any driver with a full licence, auto, or manual can tow up to 750 kg max trailer weight.

Even if you passed your test today.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back