Morning (1 Viewer)

tarmacsurfer2000

Free Member
Aug 4, 2009
Funster No
Hello all...just registered for the second time as I was having trouble with my original username of tarmacsurfer for some reason?? Any way hi and hope to gain valuable info from here and share my expriences with you all.

We have a Lunar Premier H592 we bought second hand in April from White Arches Motorhomes and have had a couple of trips in it so far, some good and some bad experiences... We are off around Scotland for a month for our honeymoon in September so any advise regarding this expedition would be most useful!

While I am on here too, we had a little shunt with a caravan at the weekend and now have the caravans plastic vent stuck on the paintwork on the side of the van... I have managed to get the debris out of the rubber seals but the plastic literally seems to have melted onto the side. I have tried T cut but it does not remove it! and suggestions would be most helpful!

Cheers again

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Hi tarmacsurfer2000 and :welcome:eek:nce more to MHFun.:thumb:
Sorry to hear of your mishap:cry: I am sure someone will have a few suggestions to help you out.::bigsmile:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
G morning Tarmacsurfer, try cellulose thinners but be careful, good luck Larry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Cellulose thinners having just tried it on my neighbours car does not remove cured cellulose paint,

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Hi Tarmacksurfer2000

WELCOME again think I must have missed you first time.

As regards Scotland just enjoy it. There is so much it is difficult to know where to start. Most scenic middle to west coast all the way up from Galloway onwards. Edinburgh and countryside worth a look, Any of the islands.
In fact just go and enjoy, in fact it's bigger than most people think.:winky:

Don't know about your other problem.

Hope all goes well.

Dave:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Last edited:
OP
OP
tarmacsurfer2000

tarmacsurfer2000

Free Member
Aug 4, 2009
Funster No
Cheers all!! I have mostly booked the first week away in Scotland...which is Garlieston, Arran, Kintyre, and Islay, back to Kintyre then off to the lochs....

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Cellulose thinners having just tried it on my neighbours car does not remove cured cellulose paint,

:)

Sorry to be abrupt but I didn't want FUN to be responsible for a ruined, well more ruined, van.

I thought maybe you thought that you were trying to clean something off plastic which is not how I understood the post.

I grew up in the motor trade, I can assure you that given enough time it will totally dissolve old paint. In fact it's one hell of a useful solution for dissolving almost anything.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004

Sorry to be abrupt but I didn't want FUN to be responsible for a ruined, well more ruined, van.

I thought maybe you thought that you were trying to clean something off plastic which is not how I understood the post.

I grew up in the motor trade, I can assure you that given enough time it will totally dissolve old paint. In fact it's one hell of a useful solution for dissolving almost anything.

Hi Brian thats why I said careful. And the neighbours car??

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Hi Brian thats why I said careful. And the neighbours car??

You did indeed.

The neighbour's car - I smell a rat here - what cunning trap is there in that simple few words :)

Maybe a De Lorean ?

OP
OP
tarmacsurfer2000

tarmacsurfer2000

Free Member
Aug 4, 2009
Funster No

Basically the vent from the caravan that dragged down the side of my van left some plastic along the scar which seems to have melted/welded itself onto the white paint work to the top corner... So it's plastic stuck to white paintwork essentially... :Sad::Sad::Sad:

savantuk

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Cumbria, Lake district UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
30 years.
I'm guessing that it was heat caused by friction that 'welded' the plastic to the paintwork. Why not try applying local heat with a heat gun to the affected area. I'm not a chemist or a physicist, but I'd guess that the melting point of the plastic will be less than the paint. You'd probably only have to soften the plastic so that you could remove it - try a plastic spatula, it's unlikely to damage the paint. As others have said, steer clear of cellulose thinners:Eeek:

Good luck.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back