LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
I am seriousley thinking of changing my 5th wheel set up for another M.H. & towing a car on a 4 wheel trailer,, had that set up a few years ago and it worked perfectly.

Reasons = the wife does not like driving the 5er and when we did our 9 week tour of europe, we found parking the truck in towns and little villages to be a right pain, parking bays marked out for Fiat Uno`s and the like, so we never got to see half what we wanted, and we are going to disappear November for 4-5 months..

I am looking at a Coachman Mirada,, Dry weight 6,750kg,, all up 7,500kg.
What weight can I put on the back including the weight of the trailer to be 100% legal?
I have an ordinary full license from 1963.

Thanks.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
parking bays marked out for Fiat Uno`s and the like,
Thanks.

How about a bit of lateral thinking here........

Get a Fiat Uno. Turbo charger. Bit of welding and fit the 5er tow bracket on the roof.

Now that is going to turn a few heads.

Sorted.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Hi Old Mo, look at direct.gov driving licence allowances, if you have C1+E you can drive vehicle up to 7500kg gvw and tow a trailer to a total including towing vehicle of 12000kg gross train weight. Above 750kg trailer needs brakes, all subject to RV limitations
hope this helps

Larry

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
7.5 tons gross towing 750 kg your licence will have been obtain pre 97 so this it it.

Total of bus a trailer 8.25 tons.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi, the problem is you will have c1+e restriction107 not more than 8.250kg.its really the d1+e restriction101,not for hire n reward, 119 weight limit does not apply.that allows you to drive over the8.2500kg if its a mimibus .it has been discused and i cant really say how or if you could bluff the way forward. the laws all changed a few years ago grandfather rights were issued upto 7.5 for large vehicles but for busses upto 16 seatsupto 12ton, it does seem they removed the weight restriction on some licences .you must look at you own licence to refer to your restrictions.my partner has the119 restriction on her licence so i asked dvla they told me no weight restriction.its worth speaking to dvla yourself it does take time but they are normally very helpfull. cheers alan

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
I am getting more confused as time goes by.. :cry:

I have on my license..
A
B
BE
B1
C1
C1E
D1
D1E
and under that lot just to confuse me
FKLNP

And in section 12 of my license I have along side=
C1E number 107
D1 number 101
D1E numbers 101 & 119

What does all that mean?? :helpsos:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Hi Mo my driving licence has the same groups as yours. Some weeks ago I posted on a thread re weight limits and was advised, I forget by who that I could drive with trailer up to 12000kg. Having looked again online, Alan is right with 8250kg gross train weight for C1+E
My Hurricane with no slideout weighs in at 7100kg gross and I tow a Peugeot 107 at 800kg on a trailer at 300kg which together come out under the 8250kg
Larry

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
C1 + E prior to 1997 = 8250 total:winky:

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
Hi Old-Mo

First and foremost the ONLY licence category that you should be worried about is the C1E - the remainder of your designations involve tractors, motorbikes and coaches - NONE of which allow you to drive an RV.

According to the official Government web site:

Please, please, please remember we are talking about kilograms here NOT English weights!

you are allowed to drive an RV up to a gross weight of 7500kg - or 7½ metric tonnes

plus

you are allowed to tow a trailer up to a maximum weight of 750kg - or ¾ metric tonnes.

Or any combination of those vehicles up to a maximum weight of 8¼ metric tonnes.

I quote from their web site:.....

If you passed your category B (car licence) test before 1st January1997 you will be restricted to a total weight not more than 8250kg.

However if you took your car licence after 1st January 1997 you can drive a combination of vehicles where the towing vehicle is in subcategory C1 and its trailer has a MAM of over 750kg provided that the MAM of the combination thus formed does not exceed 12000kg and the MAM of the trailer does not exceed the unladen mass of the towing vehicle.

So legally, you are only allowed to drive a maximum of 8¼ metric tonnes.

As for the vehicles in question:

Read the weight plate on your vehicle and find two readings:

The gross vehicle weight - your RV weight with full load on board.

The gross train weight - the maximum weight your RV and Trailer is allowed to be.

Deduct the Gross vehicle weight from the Gross Train weight and that is the maximum size trailer (loaded with car) that you can tow with that RV

Last edited:

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Take the easier route - keep the 5'er and tow it with a Land Rover Crewcab - I can fit that into most car parks without too much hassle - works well for us

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi dick, where did you get the info on new drivers since 97?they are restricted to 3.5 unless they take c1 +e seperate then they can drive upto 12,000kg. i think you miss read it. dvla do quote in their d100 booklet that to drive a 3.3 -7.5 tonnes motor home you need ci. the question comes up as what if its a bus chassis can it be a minibus?thats why i say can op bluff make a stand and say its a minibus (over 9 seats but less than 16). i agree with you really its one of those mix ups in the writng of the rules.alan

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
Hi Alan

I agree with you as far as car drivers since 1997 are concerned BUT in this case we were talking specifically about Old-Mo and his C1E - which is why I quoted several paragraphs out of context.

Hi Old-Mo

First and foremost the ONLY licence category that you should be worried about is the C1E - the remainder of your designations involve tractors, motorbikes and coaches - NONE of which allow you to drive an RV.

The actual wording states quite clearly:

Combinations of vehicles where the towing vehicle is in subcategory C1 and its trailer has a MAM of over 750kg provided that the MAM of the combination thus formed does not exceed 12000kg and the MAM of the trailer does not exceed the unladen mass of the towing vehicle. (If you passed your category B test prior to 1.1.1997 you will be restricted to a total weight not more than 8250kg)

As far as the D licence is concerned - I personally do not consider it at all relevant - in order to drive a motorhome over 7½ tonnes legally you are required to have a Class C licence. The Class D Licence applies only to fare paying passenger vehicles and if you want to be totally legal (as does Old Mo) then you do require a Class C.

We have lots of Coach drivers on here who will tell you quite specifically that they are NOT allowed to drive a Class C vehicle on their Class D Licence.

Hopefully that will all change in the not too distant future when the LGV licence is brought in - as far as I am aware that means that everybody who wants to drive a vehicle over 7½ tonnes will take the basic LGV licence - and then ONLY the professional drivers will go on to take a Certificate of Professional Competence to drive an HGV or a Coach.

That means that 'Big' RV drivers will take the LGV whilst the HGV or coach driver will have the LGV plus CPC. (I think!)

Last edited:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi dick ,i do have c +e and d+E .you are right i beleive regards m,homes. its just d1+eas resrtriction 101 not for hire n reward +119 weight limit does not apply .as many rv,s are built on bus chassis,s it brings in a new view. i would argue a pusher is a bus ,i could be wrong . its bits like this that need tidying up .i dont think the new rules will do it properly. we shall have to wait n see. may get stopped before its started i hear. will have to pop in and see you ,only up the road at roche. have fun cheers alan

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
Hi Alan

Honestly, I think the more that some of the bureaucrats try to resolve this situation - the worse they make it.

Probably not all their fault - they probably have to translate it into 'Eurospeak' so that the French can ignore it, the Spanish fine you for it and the Germans create a stellplatz for it.

I wonder if the current situation can last for another ten years - by which time I shall be 75 and will probably want to hang up my C+E - even if by that time I can still afford the annual medical. :Angry:

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Thanks for all your assistance,, :thumb:

The deal is all but done,, the RV is 6.800kg which I think and hope gives me a pay load behind (Car & Trailer) of 1.450kg..

Which I think will enable me to get a good quality 4 wheel trailer and I should be able to put the wifes new Honda Jazz on. ::bigsmile:

Just waiting for someone to prove me wrong. :winky:

Thanks.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back