Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Reading some different threads today got me thinking which is the best and worst campsites we've stayed on in our 10 years travelling. Only thinking proper campsites not Aires or wildcamping spots.

Best is difficult because apart from the site listed as my worst we haven't stayed on any really bad sites just sites that are maybe not as good for numerous reason eg location, access, awkward staff, too many petty rules or weather could influence your impression etc etc.

Best Simuni Camping Island of Pag Croatia.
Big commercial site not really our thing.
However the pitch was perfect 20yds from the beach the weather was glorious we were relaxed felt very comfortable and stayed much longer than we normally do and actually regretted leaving.
Best HoHum Mexico Beach Florida
Had to include this one for the same reason, tiny little site but on every trip over 3 years touring USA this was our last stay before returning to our base in Tampa absolutely idyllic a little bit of paradise.

Worst Billing Aquadrome Northampton
What a horrendous place wouldn't stay there again for a golden pig.
Staff were rude and unhelpful the place was over run by gypos who were stealing any thing that wasn't fixed down and even things that were it was a bloody nightmare. Would rather sell the van and stop travelling than stay there.

Whats your ???

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
What a horrendous place wouldn't stay there again for a golden pig.
Staff were rude and unhelpful the place was over run by gypos who were stealing any thing that wasn't fixed down and even things that were it was a bloody nightmare. Would rather sell the van and stop travelling than stay there.

seconded.. never forget it, what a $hit site ..

Best is difficult as have stayed on so many good sites.. from 'all singing dancing' with heated pool to remote sites in Scotland and everything in-between..

Controversial... but have always enjoyed CC sites.. the CC site at North Ledaig (near Oban) is perfect.. http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/carava...n-sites-and-parks/SiteDetails.aspx?csid=21949

We stayed here with our RV and trailer and the site staff were very helpful and polite.. we hadn't booked and the site was near full, but they found a space.. fantastic location, situated on a 2 mile sand and shingle beach on Ardmucknish Bay

Bus service into Oban from the gate..

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Best UK - Newgale campsite, Pembrokeshire. Cheap basic field, no EHU, not over-regulated, excellent location for exploring the coastline by foot, car or bus, and only a pebble's throw from the beach.

Best French - current favourite is the municipal behind the ramparts at St Martin de Re. Two star cheap, clean straightforward facilities, convenient for everything if you don't mind a bit of cycling.

Worst - I can recall one in Normandy (name unknown) that was obviously UK club-franchised and virtually all Brits, overrun by packs of feral middle-class Brit brats abandoned each evening by their loud wine-swilling parents. I dislike all overpriced privet-hedged Brit abroad ghettoes - another one in Bidart springs readily to mind. Give me an aire full of garlic munching Johnny Foreigners any day of the week :)

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Bobby Shafto campsite at beamish ,horrible gravelly pitches on small hillside no room to manoeuvre....and kingfisher park. Lee on Solent ..tatty rundown dated and rude receptionist ...expensive both of them as well.that's the worst ...the best for me was c&cc at corfe Castle ,but there are so many great sites now available its difficult to pick the best . Roy

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
Don't really have a best site but I agree about the

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
What a challenge.

Worst probably Mugello Race Circuit. Why ? Well we arrived to an idyllic green paradise in the hills of Italy with this beautiful race track nestling in the valley. Then within 12 hours it because hades with noise the likes of which I cannot describe 20 hours a day. So from an ecstatic high terminal low in half a day, even worse than getting married.

The best ? I refuse to say because we have had so many great stops. Under torture all I could do is nominate two countries, Italy and Germany both of which have places that ensure we stay alive to visit again.

Reactions: DBK

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
We like C&CC Thetford Forest because it is well run and right next door to the UK's largest lowland pine forest - 47,000 acres. Another favourite is Woodlands Grove near Dartmouth in Devon. Another well equipped site and entrance to the theme park next door included in the special deal they have for adults.

I don't think we've ever stayed on a totally bad site but Applewood Caravan and Camping site next door to Banham Zoo is one we wouldn't visit again. Site itself is okay but facilities are tatty and worst of all, when we stayed there the wardens used to leave the site every morning, I assume to go to their other jobs, leaving unsupervised kids to run amok with parents oblivious.

Paul

Poohbear

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Worcester
Funster No
MH
Swift Lifestlye 644
Exp
June 2015
What a challenge.

Worst probably Mugello Race Circuit. Why ? Well we arrived to an idyllic green paradise in the hills of Italy with this beautiful race track nestling in the valley. Then within 12 hours it because hades with noise the likes of which I cannot describe 20 hours a day. So from an ecstatic high terminal low in half a day, even worse than getting married.

What were you expecting, exactly, at a race track?

GeebeeJaybee

Free Member
May 28, 2015
St Helens
Funster No
MH
A Class - Adria Vision
Exp
We love The Croft at Hawkshead. Only small but great facilities and location is wonderful.

Worst ..... Callow Top in Ashbourne (althoughthis was pre-MH). Huge site, not enough showers (queued for nearly an hour) and loads of kids running riot past midnight.

OP
OP
Forestboy

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp

@hilldweller is right I was there and left at 4am on the first night and went to a local campsite. It was a scene from hell and I've been going to race meetings for 30 years but never one as bad as that.:eek:
Doesn't count though as its not really a campsite.;)(y)

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
@hilldweller is right I was there and left at 4am on the first night and went to a local campsite. It was a scene from hell and I've been going to race meetings for 30 years but never one as bad as that.:eek:
You can't have drunk enough coz I've slept through WW3 at Donington a few times :)

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
Worst one, a campsite south west of Rouen near Louvien. The site was decrepit, the men's toilets were squats, hoards of insects piled out of the rusty bent-over electricity point when I tried to connect (gave up for safety reasons), the grass was too long and a railway ran along the edge of the site. The hostile camp owner knocked us up at silly o'clock to insist we paid there and then - we were still abed and in our night attire. She had knocked multiple times on each door and window, while we were still asleep.

Not the best but top favourite is the municipal in Saint-Antonin-Noble Val, or the one in Monteaux.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

OK !!

But not strange people walking amongst the MHs all night with chainsaws ( less chain and silencer ) revving them up. This was weird way beyond my imagination.

We have experienced the "jousting" of engines without silencer all over the camping before.

In Le Mans we had cretins with fridge sized speakers who ran them at full volume from 16:00 to 07:00, they were so far out of their minds, stood there about 07:00, trousers down, gushing piss like a fire hose. And then packed up and left just before the racing started. Go figure that !

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
At Donington they used to bring engines fixed to wooden frames and pallets. Then run on full throttle till they blew. No silencers. Was fun LOL

Last edited:

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
Controversial... but have always enjoyed CC sites.. the CC site at North Ledaig (near Oban) is perfect.. http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/carava...n-sites-and-parks/SiteDetails.aspx?csid=21949

We stayed here with our RV and trailer and the site staff were very helpful and polite.. we hadn't booked and the site was near full, but they found a space.. fantastic location, situated on a 2 mile sand and shingle beach on Ardmucknish Bay

Bus service into Oban from the gate..

Another vote for North Ledaig. It is AS site so CC membership only needed for left side. 400 miles from home yet I think I have been at least 15 times as it is soooo lovely.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
@hilldweller

Fair enough, though we were camping and paid a fee for it.

I'm stumped now. Morocco has some horrors, I have said "I wouldn't dump the cassette down that hole" but we are talking £1 a night.

Not bad after 8/9 years and 58,000 miles. Can't recall a really bad campsite and too many excellent ones to pick a number one.

There is one that stands out because of the sheer surprise. High in the Swiss Alps I spotted a camping sign so turned round and went in. It was a field with a scattering of statics. Facilities were one portakabin with immaculate facilities. No office, no staff. So we parked up. The only noise, cow bells and a stream bubbling. Next day a car turned up and took a few Euros off us. A real gem.

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
At Donington they used to bring engines fixed to wooden frames and pallets. Then run on full throttle till they blew. No silencers. Was fun LOL

Same at Assen when we were there.4 cylinder engines, minus silencers, revved to valve bounce, then the kill switch off and on again, the resultant backfire could have been heard in Norfolk.!
The other trick I liked watching was wheelspinning statically until the rear wheel buried itself up to the swingarm, then walking away leaving it parked there.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Best:- has to be Parked by a Lake in Montana, Backed to the woodland, watching the Elk, Pronghorns, (deer) and Beaver. On the opposite bank Brown Bears. $10 per night Full Hookup!.

Worst:- In thick mud on a rally in Norfolk. No facilities, No power, and hordes of miserable Kid`s, bad tempered parents, All wanting to be towed off. and only one tractor!. we even had a Landy S2 stuck in the gateway!.

Pete

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Same at Assen when we were there.4 cylinder engines, minus silencers, revved to valve bounce, then the kill switch off and on again, the resultant backfire could have been heard in Norfolk.!
The other trick I liked watching was wheelspinning statically until the rear wheel buried itself up to the swingarm, then walking away leaving it parked there.
Oh yes. Remember all that.

And after eleventeen cans of lager, I'd get the keys and bounce mine of the limiter. Well, it was under warranty
:beerchug:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
My favourite site is "New House Farm" near Ashbourne Derbyshire.

It is extremely secluded, has no facilities, not even fresh water or hookups. You are basically camping in a field that you share with the farm animals who are extremely sociable. More than once I have been disturbed by sheep rubbing themselves against the van or plonking down in the shade cast by my van. The young bull behaved more like a dog wanting continuous attention. I have never seen such a wide variety of fowl species in one place. There are portable firepits which you can drag near your van and have a real fire which is great for cooking on and keeping warm on the cooler summer nights. All this for only £5 a night.... Excellent.

Worst has to be the Durham Ox at Horncastle. The landlord not only made us feel unwelcome at the pub, the food was crap, the service was crap and they woke us up sunday morning after we had spent almost £400 there telling us we had 15 minutes to leave.

Abroad the good choices are too many to mention but I always start my European trips with a stop at Montreuil-Bellay just south of Saumur. A perfect Aire. Right next to the river on one side and the Chateaux on the hill on the other. Getting up early and getting decent fresh bread, having it with lashings of butter, feeding the ducks and enjoying the view is a perfect start to any day in France.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Meadow view farm, sileby near Leicester deserves a very honourable mention as well.

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
Worst - Camping Le Fanal in Insigny - shocking place - only place I've ever visited where human excrement had been wiped over the bathroom taps and the staff don't seem bothered.

Best - still looking, but South Lytchet Manor near Poole is up there.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back