Michelin Agilis Campers (1 Viewer)

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I emailed Michelin and gave them tyre types, sizes, weights from weighbridge etc and asked for recommended pressures.
They suggested 80 psi to rear and 51 psi to fronts :confused:

Does that sound correct ?
I think they're 80 all round at present but must confess to never having checked them :cry:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Almost 5 years ago (when we had our Autoquest with Goodyear tyres) I e-mailed Goodyear about pressures and received this response:
Thanks for the information.

With the load index being used then the pressure quoted in writing by the vehicle manufacturer will carry the weight of the vehicle.

Pressures for tyres are advised by the vehicle manufacturer rather than the tyre manufacturer.

Many vehicle designers will come up with totally different pressures to suit their vehicles and their desired handling characteristic.

There will have been a great deal of testing to come up to these conclusions. The pressures in tyres act as part of the vehicles suspension design therefore contributing to handling, stability, ride etc.

Contrary to popular belief pressures are not only advised based on the weight of the vehicle.
I've attached a scan of the page from our Burstner handbook which gives different pressures depending on model and tyre type.

If you haven't got a handbook for your Hymer B544 you may be able to find one on-line. Failing that other owners of a similar van on here may have the information.

Attachments

• Image 0041.jpg
    Image 0041.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 31

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
With Michelin Camping tyres regardless of size they must always be inflated to 80psi on the rear. On the front the right thing to do is get the front axle weighed then ring Michelin ,what they have said i suspect is do not go below 51psi on the front,so get it weighed and get the pressures set accurately
Brian & Jo

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
I inflated rears to 80psi and didn't enjoy the driving characteristics.

Currently running 70psi rear, 65psi front, which feels about right.
This is on a 2005 Hymer, 3500kg (downplated) with Agilis Campers.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
This is the reply I got from Michelin when I made the same enquiry last October.

Part of my original enquiry:- We have Michelin 225/75R16CP tyres and run at 1760kg on the front and 2290kg on the rear axle. total vehicle weight 4050kg.

Their reply:-
The suggested tyre pressure for the rear of a motorhome running on the Agilis Camping is 80psi.

This is due to the construction of the tyre with 2 casing plies enabling the use of higher pressures. Its construction and the use of higher pressures is designed to cope with continual heavy loads sometimes found on Motorhomes and can help with wear pattern issues if lower pressures are used particularly on the rear axle.

The front pressures however can be adjusted according to accurately weighed axle loads for a more comfortable ride and optimum performance. This recommended pressure is 51psi.

I now run mine at a 2-3psi under those recommended pressures which seems to make the ride a bit more comfortable.
I have loads of pay load left as I am usually well under max weight.

Richard.

Feb 26, 2012
Funster No
MH
coach
Exp
Motorhome since 2006 (caravanning 38yrs)
Have just found this on Michelin web site under the page for motorhome camper tyres

LEGAL MENTIONS
* Compared with MICHELIN Agilis.
The tyre pressures given are purely indicative. Please refer to your vehicle manufacturer for recommended tyre pressures. These are sometimes found on a sticker on the inside of the front door or fuel filler cap of your vehicle. The documents and information contained on www.michelin.co.uk are supplied 'as is' and without expressed or implied guarantee. Michelin reserves the right to modify or alter the content on this site without prior notice.

To ensure the quality and performance of your tyres please Broken Link Removed our safety recommendations to learn more about about our safety and usage advice.

So they are passing the buck to you.

There was a thread on here a couple of years ago recommending using the load index of the tyre and the weight on the axle to get the correct pressure.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We have a Hymer Exsis i698 4250 kg GVW and have found it rides comfortably with 70psi in rears and 65 in the front we are running at around 4000kg

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
We ve recently switched to Vanco's and noticed an improvement in ride comfort over the Agilis previously fitted.

Feb 26, 2012
Funster No
MH
coach
Exp
Motorhome since 2006 (caravanning 38yrs)
We ve recently switched to Vanco's and noticed an improvement in ride comfort over the Agilis previously fitted.

We weren't able to get Agilis when needed a couple of years ago and decided on Continentals. Noticed comfort and economy improvement.

Brian

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
The handbook for my 2001 Hymer B584 give 4.5 bar/65.26psi front and back for my tyre size.

OP
OP
Figaro
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
@Clarky Thats exactly the same as they sent me, must be a standard email they send out so the info sent for results of weighbridge etc is not considered

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back